What's new

Gobert's rise to the Greatest Jazz Center of All Time!

I absolutely love this thread... but i don't love that there are two of them with almost exactly the same name. Wouldn't it be possible to merge them or something?

I can't believe you could say this about Eaton... Clearly you must be too young to have watched Eaton play. His defense would destroy centers in todays game. Not only that but he did a lot of the little things that never make it to the stat sheet, except in the teams W column. I would be completely satisfied if he developed to be half the player that Eaton was.

Love Eaton. He was a monster in his playing days. But he wouldn't have the same effect today. The rules have changed favoring offensive players. Eaton was good because the Jazz funneled players into the middle, where he would kill them. He'd foul out quickly in today's game where the slightest bump gets called. Just look at how easy it was to negate a player like Hibbert in the playoffs.

And this is one reason I am so excited about Rudy. He's a rim protector who just happens to have incredible athleticism. Sure his hands are a little suspect. But he moves well. The national media are going to be on the Gobert bandwagon soon enough.

This.

And this.

Eaton was a helluva player in his day. Couldn't shoot to save his life, but he sure could change plays. For what it's worth, I'd likely rank Eaton ahead of Memo and Jefferson because he was so dominant defensively.

That said, Gobert has already shown incredible athleticism for a man his size. That block and dunk was phenomenal! There aren't too many centers who could block the ball and then be the first player down the court. There is certainly a chance Gobert DOES surpass all the rest. Will never be quite as imposing as Mark, but he'll be better offensively.

Framer...can I make a suggestion?
If you keep updating this thread. perhaps do it on combined points, rebounds and blocks. I know you list all of them, including assists, but it looks like the rankings are only on points scored as a Jazz player. Gobert is likely going to have more nights of single-digit points and double-digit rebounds than the other way around.

Yeah, the problem is that I am tracking like 50 guys and points is a pretty good starting point for my consideration. As we move up the list, the guys become better and their rebounds and blocks fill out better than the guys on the bottom. There are about 5 more guys that I have to update the list with that Gobert has already passed.

I absolutely love this thread... but i don't love that there are two of them with almost exactly the same name. Wouldn't it be possible to merge them or something?

We need to use the other thread because I left headroom for adding in all of the other players on the list as it expands. Jazzfanz threads only allow 10 pictures each, So I cant use this one and keep all of the players listed.

You think he would get playing time in today's league?

Absolutely. He would start, and his ability to cover any post player in single coverage as well as defend the rim would make many teams into jump-shooting teams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_2PsQYaPEw

Tyson Chandler "the Rim protector" lol Wrong video to choose bro

In his best season TC averaged 1.8 blocks/game

ME best was 5.6

As for getting time in "todays game" lols again He played in the late 80's early 90's

here are some names from that time that weren't wearing a Jazz jersey

Center
Hakeem
Kareem
Robinson
Ewing

Others
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Erving
Barkley
Thomas
Drexler
Wilkins
Mchale
Worthy
Malone(moses)

Gobert has Mark Eaton tennis racket hands. Got down it he'd have so much potential with hands that don't betray him like an infant's.

Tyson Chandler "the Rim protector" lol Wrong video to choose bro

In his best season TC averaged 1.8 blocks/game

ME best was 5.6

As for getting time in "todays game" lols again He played in the late 80's early 90's

here are some names from that time that weren't wearing a Jazz jersey

Center
Hakeem
Kareem
Robinson
Ewing

Others
Jordan
Bird
Magic
Erving
Barkley
Thomas
Drexler
Wilkins
Mchale
Worthy
Malone(moses)

so what? Overall quality of players is way higher. He has a negative career offensive impact. Mediocre rebounder. Good shotblocker, but then again the Jazz weren't that superior defensively as you'd think when you pair altitude + rim protector. Everything he did on one end he ruined on the other. Good job!

It's just that I think Gobert has the tools to copycat Chandler. If he comes near that he'll be a very productive NBA asset. If not then I'll stick with my opinion that he never fully utilized his tools.

Eaton block comparison is somewhat unfair. in 80's game was played inside out. today? it's outside in. there were more opportunities for a block back in the days.

eaton's 5.6 block is great, but i would say eaton would avg about 4 a game if he played today.

Gobert has Mark Eaton tennis racket hands. Got down it he'd have so much potential with hands that don't betray him like an infant's.

His hands are showing improvement though, so that is a positive. I think the stronger he gets, the more confidence he will have in catching interior passes.

No, because the second thread held the next 4 threads for future expansion.
I think you meant next 4 "posts."

I know what you mean, though. When I was doing a draft/record watch, I put in a couple of posts right at the beginning so I could edit them as necessary. Otherwise, readers have to sift through the whole thread to see the latest updates.

Perhaps Just copy your posts to a new thread and have the mods lock this one. That would solve it (mods willing)