What's new

Hayward vs Portland

NotDeadYet

I watched Hayward hustle his butt off vs Portland, and thought he did a nice job; very active defensively, was on the boards, and just hustled the whole time. Despite missing his FG's, which he seemed to be rushing, he otherwise played under control and didn't get gassed within the Jazz offense.
My thinking is Sloan wants to see how he holds up playing more minutes under real game conditions and if he's good enough to join the regular rotation. IMO, his defense is better than expected; he does appear to move laterally better than CJ, so is a better fit at SG, and Price at 6'2" is limiited defensively by his shortness.
Anybody else keep a close eye on him in the game?

I was honestly surprised that Price even was put into the game. We will see what Sloan does with the rotation. I wonder if AK will play against the Clippers.

Hayward clanked a WIDE open 3 when the score was tied. Had he made that shot and put us in the lead at that point (like 7 min to go or something like that), I think the Jazz may hvae pulled the game out. Instead that led to 2 easy points to them and it went all downhill from there.

Shots will be missed of course, I am just saying that the miss was crucial.

Hayward did not play good. I would of rather had ronne price in there to way should we have hayward in to try and lead us back.

I noticed the same thing. His hustle was great to see, but that missed three was a dagger. I'm still a fan.

Hayward clanked a WIDE open 3 when the score was tied. Had he made that shot and put us in the lead at that point (like 7 min to go or something like that), I think the Jazz may hvae pulled the game out. Instead that led to 2 easy points to them and it went all downhill from there.

Shots will be missed of course, I am just saying that the miss was crucial.

of course the other wings were really on fire as well.

Not saying they were, and you can see by my post that I wasn't saying he lost us the game. He just happened to miss a crucial shot.

From reading the comments (not having been able to watch the games), it sounds like Hayward is getting more into an NBA, and Jazz, rythym and doing many of the so-called "little things", but is still shooting poorly.

In the past, it seems like this sort of player is more likely to succeed long-term than one who shoots well but doesn't hustle nor learn the system. So the overall verdict seems favorable, for the time being.

From reading the comments (not having been able to watch the games), it sounds like Hayward is getting more into an NBA, and Jazz, rythym and doing many of the so-called "little things", but is still shooting poorly.

In the past, it seems like this sort of player is more likely to succeed long-term than one who shoots well but doesn't hustle nor learn the system. So the overall verdict seems favorable, for the time being.

I can agree with this...he is coming around. He is playing better. He just didnt need to be in the game during crunch time. We needed that win.

Many of us lay people were calling for him to be pulled as the 4th quarter was being played. Sloan came to this conclusion during the post game comments.

Excellent point!
If Hayward weren't hustling in practice and absorbing the 'Jazz way', I doubt Sloan would play him. Especially in the 4th quarter. TBH, I know he can shoot, so that isn't a concern. The only way he's gonna get his shot to go down is to get into a real game and shoot it when he's got a good look. Nice to see a teammate recognize Hayward was open and get him the ball; shows they have confidence he CAN hit that shot.
Sloan also wants to see how Hayward reacts after missing a key shot;does he pout, or does he get back on defense? Missed shots happen to the best of them.

I think KOC is making Jerry play him in crunch time. Just because he made an open dunk at the end of the game, doesn't mean he's going to come through at the end of games. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut some days.