What's new

I will guarantee Deron's departure from the spazz!

Franchise tag...please explain to idiot VINYL.

The Franchise tag in the NFL lets a team tag one player so they can not leave the team. It is there "franchise" player. If I read it correctly the tag can be changed on a yearly basis. But in the NFL with the contracts can be waved so you can change them year to year.

For example Vick is going to be tagged by the Eagles so he can't leave in FA this of season even though he would be a FA.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073930

I think it is a good idea personally because it gives teams like the Jazz, Raptors, Cavs the chance to keep there star player no matter what.

But wouldnt a player have to agree to this in the CBA? Also arent the careers of NFL players much shorter than that of an NBA player...on the average. I mean, you know one player is going to bring up being stuck in Utah for his whole career.

But wouldnt a player have to agree to this in the CBA? Also arent the careers of NFL players much shorter than that of an NBA player...on the average. I mean, you know one player is going to bring up being stuck in Utah for his whole career.

You are correct on all accounts. It can only be done 2 years in a row. In the NBA that would be 2 contracts in a row to make it the same.
Here are the actual rules:
https://www.ehow.com/facts_5156777_nfl-franchise-tag-rules.html

Yes the Players Union would have to agree to this in the new CBA. So there is no way it happens. But I think it would be a good Idea to be able to keep the guy you drafted for longer than a 3 year rookie contract. Or in D Will, Lebron, Melo, Bosh. longer than just leaving the team high and dry if they walk out.

The Franchise tag in the NFL lets a team tag one player so they can not leave the team. It is there "franchise" player. If I read it correctly the tag can be changed on a yearly basis. But in the NFL with the contracts can be waved so you can change them year to year.

For example Vick is going to be tagged by the Eagles so he can't leave in FA this of season even though he would be a FA.

https://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6073930

I think it is a good idea personally because it gives teams like the Jazz, Raptors, Cavs the chance to keep there star player no matter what.

Intuition says an NBA franchise tag would encourage more players to bitch and moan before draft day about who they will and won't play for. I don't see how it helps the Jazz on draft day to own the player of their choosing for his entire career. It also makes the lottery prize all the more messed up. Hit it big in a LeBron year and you're looking mediocre with great potential, at minimum. Hit the lucky lottery in an off year and you're screwed all the same, but adding a heaping of free agency hurt on top.

2 things Franklin. #1 they don't get the player there whole carrier. Just a year each time they use the Tag. And they only get 2 years worth of that.

#2. You can use a franchise tag only one player. It doesn't even have to be a player you drafted so on an off year your not screwed at all. You just don't use the tag on that player.

All I am saying is look at how different the NBA landscape would be right now if Cleveland or Toronto could have used that tag. All of the teams that did nothing but clear cap space because they knew that those players would be FA are now a least another year from getting them if there tagged. Plus it give the team that did the tag another year to put together a team to complete.

What I am sick of is players holding all the cards. "if you don't build me a team I well just walk when my contract is up" Or build a team of buddys like the Heat or the whole Carmello thing. I think the Owners need a chance to keep the asset that is helping keep there team cometitive on the court and in the store.

Thanks. I agree on the players having too much power. They make too much money as it is thanks to taxpayer subsidies. That's a bunch of bull **** on its own. They wouldn't get anywhere near the money without a bunch of poor folk subsidizing a rich man's sport.

I also think the NBA needs a better revenue sharing plan. The current structure sees about five teams take in the lions share of the revenue. Their wouldn't be much of a league without smaller market teams. It really is pathetic that a team cannot break even with $100 million in annual revenue and taxpayer subsidized, billion dollar buildings.

Thanks. I agree on the players having too much power. They make too much money as it is thanks to taxpayer subsidies. That's a bunch of bull **** on its own. They wouldn't get anywhere near the money without a bunch of poor folk subsidizing a rich man's sport.

I also think the NBA needs a better revenue sharing plan. The current structure sees about five teams take in the lions share of the revenue. Their wouldn't be much of a league without smaller market teams. It really is pathetic that a team cannot break even with $100 million in annual revenue and taxpayer subsidized, billion dollar buildings.

Amen. Repp'ed when the stupid thing will let me again.