What's new

Is Exum going to get to play this year?

magic

So I didn’t really watch any games last season, except for one or two, but I did follow the Jazz’s record as I knew that we had a good shot at landing the number one lottery pick, and the hence the chance to draft Andre Wiggins. I knew that this draft was considered to be one of the strongest in recent years and hence learned more about the other draftees leading up to the draft. So I was really excited that the Jazz drafted Dante Exum, someone with superstar potential. I was so intrigued by the Jazz’s future that I started following this forum right around the beginning of this year’s summer league. And even with all the ups and downs that comes with having a 19 year old kid who hadn’t played basketball recently, I saw enough flashes of brilliance that I knew this was the brightest our future had looked since back when we first drafted Deron Williams.

We also got a new coach, so I thought maybe, just maybe, he would be like most other coaches in the NBA and actually play our future star good minutes, even if that meant not winning as many games. Now Jerry Sloan was a great coach, don’t get me wrong, but he wasn’t perfect. And one thing I disagreed with him on was how he didn’t start Williams right away and how Williams didn’t average the same minutes that Chris Paul did in his rookie season, as he was more than capable of doing so.

Now Dante Exum is not on the same level as Deron was in his rookie season, but WTF is up with only playing 9:37 in the opening game? That is a load of BS! Here we are with a chance to develop our guard with the most potential, and clearly going to lose to the Rockets, and he doesn’t even get 10 minutes of play time. I mean in his first 6 minutes he scored six points, had one steal, and made the play of the game with his lob to Gobert, and what happens? He gets subbed out for Trey Burke.

Now I know some people here like Trey, others don’t. To me he sucks. He has no ceiling. The best he can be is a solid 6th man point guard. He’s not quick, he doesn’t have the size nor hops. I mean yes he should be starting for now, as Dante is not ready to start, but he should definitely not be playing 38 minutes a game and eating up all of Dante’s minutes. He shot 6 for 16 from the floor and the only time he was effective was in the 3rd quarter when James Harden was sitting on the bench. Had James Harden not been sitting on the bench, that sh*t would not have happened. And to top it off he had the worst +/- of any Jazz member (even worse than Hayward who had a tremendously crappy game).

Folks, I’m not here to watch games with Trey Burke running the point for the whole damn game. I’m here to see our two potential superstars (Exum and Gobert) develop so that in the future we can actually have a chance at winning the Finals. The furthest a Trey at his ceiling could get us is maybe a trip to the Western Conference finals. At most a trip, and not even one to the finals!

So seriously, is Exum going to get to play this year, or am I going to have to mute this season out too and hope something changes next season?