What's new

Jazz Filling Up Training Camp

Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
As well as the Idaho Stampede possibly

Eric Pincus: Brock Motum also signed with the Utah Jazz - likely a non-guaranteed camp invite contract but TBD Twitter @EricPincus

Eric Pincus: Utah Jazz signed Kevin Murphy today at $840k - $65k guaranteed - same # they guaranteed Dee Bost and Jack Cooley @BBallInsiders Twitter @EricPincus

Think it's a pretty good idea to get these guys and pay them a bit more money. From what I understand, D-League salary is like 25k. Most of the good guys are just going to Europe, but if you promise them more money, 65K guaranteed with the potential to make big bucks if the team actually likes you, then you will get more talented prospects that you can attempt to develop.

Eric Pincus: Utah Jazz add Toure' Murry - he'll earn $1 mil flat over next 2 years - $250k guaranteed in 1st year @BBallInsiders Twitter @EricPincus

So if guys like Bost, Cooley, Murphy, Murry don't make Jazz roster they go straight to Stampede for the year?
And if they get called up for short stints how do they get paid?

This is certainly a new way of doing business, isn't it? I wonder what this means for the available roster spots? We had 13 guaranteed contracts before, so this would put us over the top, yet they are guaranteed at least for a while. It's almost as if the Jazz are burning money to get first pick.

As for Kev', I am going to throw him into the group of guys that I hope the new coaching philosophy will improve their games. He has talent, at least he was supposed to when we drafted him.

Didn't think about this. Jazz should own Idaho. At least the southern part.

All the dudes I met from Idaho through basketball were Lakers fans. That was back when they were winning titles, and now that they're a trainwreck and we have one of the youngest (hopefully most exciting) rosters perhaps Jazz Nation can grow a bit.

I don't know anything about Bost, Murray, Murphy, Motum or Cooley but from watching the Summer League the last two years, I was excited to see we're giving Cooley a shot. At the very least he can be relied upon to be a presence on the offensive and defensive glass, as well as being a reliable defender who can use up some fouls in spot minutes. Obviously not a glowing review but if we're trying to win games he may be more beneficial to have on the court if Rudy is still too green to be consistent defensively.

I don't know anything about Bost, Murray, Murphy, Motum or Cooley but from watching the Summer League the last two years, I was excited to see we're giving Cooley a shot. At the very least he can be relied upon to be a presence on the offensive and defensive glass, as well as being a reliable defender who can use up some fouls in spot minutes. Obviously not a glowing review but if we're trying to win games he may be more beneficial to have on the court if Rudy is still too green to be consistent defensively.

Bost was Rodney Hood's point guard at MSU. Motum lead the Pac 12 in scoring for two straight years. Murphy was a Jazz 2nd round pick, was included in the Golden State trade for RJeff, Murray was a Wichita State dude that rode pine for the Knicks last year. and Cooley was from Notre Dame and had similar numbers in college to the Jazz 2nd round pick that was traded on draft night. I think Murphy was the only one drafted.

Most of these guys will play in D-League.
If this is what every D-League will look like, this league should be very competitive and fun to watch.

Motum may be a 2. Vucevic, a lesser one prolly.
They both dominated the PAC-12 but still underrated.