What's new

Jazzfanz Mock Draft 2015: Pick #11

Who Will The Pacers Pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So we have Turner as the freefaller? Can the Jazz pass on his talent if he does drop to 12? It'll be interesting to see if we got it right.

Turner showed up at the combine and nailed his interviews. "He's a highly intelligent, thoughtful guy," said one GM, and spent much of his time, along with his camp, quieting concerns about his biomechanical issues. NBA doctors got a look at him this weekend and if they say the same thing that Turner's doctors are saying (that his knees are fine, and that his running issues are pretty easily corrected), he's going to rise. I think he's the last player on the board who could end up cracking the top five. "He's a long 7-footer who can stretch the floor and really protect the rim," one GM said. "He was up-and-down as a freshman. He's not ready, etc. But the upside? It's big. People forget he was ranked No. 2 [in high school] for a reason. He has time to get better. But what Turner has you can't teach. I think there's some risk there, but the upside is tremendous." Turner will work out alongside Porzingis in Vegas on the June 12. A clean bill of health and a new, improved running gait should do wonders for his stock, according to multiple NBA GMs. "If that's all clean, he's a top-five guy for us."

I'm definitely one of those people if I were DL would take Turner off my big board. Let some other GM take that risk. It's not like there aren't a lot of other talented prospects to choose from at #12. We can't afford to pick a bust, and with his health risks he is high potential to bust. Kaminsky on the other hand, and regardless of what Locke says, I don't think he's that high of a risk. At the very least he's a floor spacer and hi iq passer.

It would be pretty funny to watch other teams trying to score in the paint against Gobert, Favors, and Turner.

It would be pretty funny to watch other teams trying to score in the paint against Gobert, Favors, and Turner.

But then you realize 90% of the teams are capable of putting 4 three point shooters on the floor, and it's not so funny.

I'm definitely one of those people if I were DL would take Turner off my big board. Let some other GM take that risk. It's not like there aren't a lot of other talented prospects to choose from at #12. We can't afford to pick a bust, and with his health risks he is high potential to bust. Kaminsky on the other hand, and regardless of what Locke says, I don't think he's that high of a risk. At the very least he's a floor spacer and hi iq passer.

It depends on what doctors say. I'm not a doctor so Im not going to pretend to know about his possible medical issues.

But then you realize 90% of the teams are capable of putting 4 three point shooters on the floor, and it's not so funny.

No they aren't. With all of this talk of "stretch" this and "playmaking" that, they are not all that common.

No they aren't. With all of this talk of "stretch" this and "playmaking" that, they are not all that common.

Still I would be wary of adding any player who can't play with Gobert defensively and guard at least a little bit on the perimeter. I think, from what I've read, Turner is just a center and doesn't have perimeter defensive ability or potential.

The longer term concern on defense is likely his pick and roll defense, something which is a bigger concern at the next level, especially since Texas played a decent amount of zone defense with Turner on the court. Sporting awkward movements exacerbated by his abnormally large feet, Turner lacks great, or even good, lateral quickness. His struggles defending ball-handlers coming off the pick and roll, and in open space in general, is a concern, and something he'll have to improve upon going forward, as the NBA game has different rules and a much more pronounced tempo than college basketball does.

Still I would be wary of adding any player who can't play with Gobert defensively and guard at least a little bit on the perimeter. I think, from what I've read, Turner is just a center and doesn't have perimeter defensive ability or potential.
Yeah, I think Looney is a better fit, but I could understand going with the (arguably) higher upside of Turner.

I think Turner can play with Gobert. I think you are underestimating Gobert's perimeter defensive ability. Gobert can guard better than a lot of bigs on the perimeter. The way I see it, when Gobert and Turner are on the floor, Gobert would be guarding the better of the offensive weapons or the better shooter and Turner will protect the rim/paint/the other big. Gobert did a pretty good job defending the pnr(I think your favourite Ben Dowsett posted a stat that opponents shot 28% or something of that sort in pnr defended by Gobert) and stretchy bigs(Aldridge, Gasol, even AD to an extent) this year. I see no reason to think he can't do it with Turner protecting the rim behind him.