What's new

NBA Playbook: Who Will Run The Pick & Roll With Deron Williams? And How?

I'm confused why wouldn't it be Jefferson? Wasn't he effective in pick and rolls?

29gofg3.jpg

Yeah, like Locke said, he is plenty efficient in the PnR to run it consistently.

Really all you have to do is watch him play the game. You can tell by watching his pump fake and drive move that he has the ability to attack the rim from 15 feet out, the only difference is he has to work out some timing when working with another player.

Lucky for him he has Deron who has the PnR timing down to a T so it shouldn't be a problem.

i know what locke said... just remember that locke is about one step away from being full-on jazz PR. there are some problems with jefferson running the PnR, provided he doesn't improve.

1) he has NO pull-up game, so he's going to have to roll in to be effective. which is not a huge deal except that if i know that, then opposing teams know it, too. if they know what he's going to do every time, it's far easier to defend. caveat: unless he's in the gym right now working on stop-and-pop 15' jump shots.

2) he has historically struggled to set screens without fouling. these aren't going to appear in locke's stats because locke only looked at roll/pop plays where jefferson ended up with the ball. y!sports says that he rode the pine a LOT in boston because he's two early illegal screens, and that's what scared him away from being a PnR player. caveat: unless the coaches are working with him as we speak on how to open up for the ball so you can get away with a little more movement.

3) he has very little passing ability. think back to the number of times you've seen the big on the high screen flash a pass to a baseline cutter. that's one of the options that the high screen opens up because it brings an opposing defender up away from the baseline. that's why you've seen booz, AK, memo, tag and others make countless passes to cutters. i'm not sure al has that ability, let alone the court vision to see that developing. caveat: unless he's working on that this summer, but this is the hardest of the three to just suddenly learn.