What's new

New videos for Jazz fans addressing race and racism

People are certainly conditioned. By our text books, our carefully crafted neighborhoods, and by our nationalized myths that are stand-ins for authentic history.

We are conditioned to believe that the past is behind us, and that the trauma that still exists within us is just a bad dream that can be tossed and forgotten like a styrofoam cup.

Responses are so predictable, it's incredible.

The next video is up. Defining racism.

In the next episode: Are we the whitest fanbase?

They conveyor example is fantastic. Great way to explain white privilege.

I love these videos and shared on my wall the other day. The people in my life aren't likely to watch them, sadly. Already had an argument with my mom at the beginning of today's game because she believes unarmed black men shot by police must have deserved it.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

I love these videos and shared on my wall the other day. The people in my life aren't likely to watch them, sadly. Already had an argument with my mom at the beginning of today's game because she believes unarmed black men shot by police must have deserved it.

That's really frustrating. What would she say about someone like Philando Castille or Tamir Rice?

We got into a huge cross-family argument over BLM and police shootings with my wife's family the other night, all on this video platform thing they use, Marco Polo I think. I hate it btw.

Anyway, my BIL made some very derogatory remarks on my 18 year old daughter's facebook because she posted a call for police reform after the Blake shooting. He is ultra-conservative mormon with the mormon god-complex that if he thinks God doesn't like it, then God doesn't like it, regardless of what the church itself might teach (you know, like "love thy neighbor as thyself"), which makes him insanely judgemental. He threw around all the stereotypical ****, like more whites were killed by cops than blacks in X year (ignoring that blacks were 3X more likely to be shot than whites in any given police interaction, stuff like that). He tried to claim that the BLM web site advocates for taking the men out of the home and breaking up the family unit, which is a very warped and twisted reading of what is actually there. It then spread to her sister and her hyper-Christian husband (he stood to pray at my FIL's funeral a few years ago and basically commanded God to take him into heaven, then made sure we all thanked him for single-handedly saving his soul...yeah that kind) and they went off on how they aren't racist, heck they know a black guy, and **** like that. Then her other sister and mom got into it, on our side, but she went full militant leftist, about how the cops should be completely defunded if not disbanded entirely and how it would be better for us to have "community policing", without guns, so basically have bunch of people running around with, idk, baseball bats? enforcing the law. I couldn't believe the depth of brain-washing that was going on there, and the fact that my BIL was saying that we have lived in California too long and it has effectively brain-washed us was just so bizarre. Then, when confronted with statistics, he started talking about basically that you can make stats say anything you want to (you know, the line "you can use facts to prove anything remotely true"). Once we started throwing stats around, he went to bible/book of mormon thumping, about how only Satan could convince people that the BLM cause was just, because you know, black have broken households and apparently want everyone to have broken households, because, you know, reasons. He completely represents everything people hate about mormons, the kind that perpetuates all of the terrible stereotypes.

It was one of the most insane evenings I have ever experienced, and I have been through cancer treatments, dealing with a suicide attempt and a suicide of a close relative, and a fist-fight with my brother.