What's new

Suggestions on Books to Read

insta_grid-4.jpg

Reading this really enjoying it.

The other warren Ellis is the other Warren Ellis. This is Warren Ellis

3663.jpg

There can only be one...

Superb book, full of madness I love it.
When you think of Warren Ellis, the writer, you think of Warren Ellis, the writer, not Warren Ellis, the musician. You don't want Warren Ellis, the writer, to release a solo album, now, do you?

Some of my youth period favourites:

Most of the Jules Verne novels.

Tarzan series (i have about 5 novels)
Winnetou series by Karl May

Robert van Gulik judge Dee series.

Frederic Forsythe Day of Jackal and Odessa
I devoured all 24 Tarzan novels when I was a kid. Fantastic escapist fantasy. Tarzan was a bad ***, if you didn't know. Not a single depiction of Tarzan in other media does him justice. I loved Edgar Rice Burroughs.

I devoured all 24 Tarzan novels when I was a kid. Fantastic escapist fantasy. Tarzan was a bad ***, if you didn't know. Not a single depiction of Tarzan in other media does him justice. I loved Edgar Rice Burroughs.
I was always more into the Barsoom books, myself.

I was always more into the Barsoom books, myself.
John Carter was my personal hero when I was 12. Loved those books too. I started learning different forms of sword fighting primarily because of John Carter. But I read pretty much everything Burroughs had written. Pellucidar was a good series as well, especially the cross-over with Tarzan.

I wish someone could get the John Carter movies right. We have the CGI now to accurately depict characters like Woola and Tars Tarkas. The last attempt was terrible. It was like the Gunslinger movie from King's Dark Tower series. When you try to mash multiple works together it just turns to ****. I always thought the Barsoom books were an interesting look into race relations, with good and evil depictions of them all, and nobility to be found in everyone, along with redemption, whether they were yellow, green, red or black. Also a solid knock on religion in general, but that is another topic.

Of course he still puts forth the white man as the savior, and the woman who constantly needs saving, but that is more reflective of his era, imo.