What's new

surprise the Cougs here haven't mentioned picking up

Dr. Jones

In pursuit of #9
Contributor
Nick Kurtz. Huge upset in that recruiting battle... especially considering his dream school was Oregon growing up and I don't even think he's LDS.

Nick Kurtz. Huge upset in that recruiting battle... especially considering his dream school was Oregon growing up and I don't even think he's LDS.

I think duck rodgers or big b mentioned it in a different thread

They also got a kid from Texas that looks like the 2nd coming of Jacquizz Rodgers over the weekend - non Mormon. He had Texas Tech on him amongst others.

The billion dollar question at BYU is......is there an unspoken "Mormon quota" for their sport's teams? Because this is only an upset because they don't try enough with guys like this. They would win plenty of those battles if they did. But they rightfully target that Mormon base most of the time....sprinkled in with a handful of non-LDS guys.....which has been enough to have really solid teams. And that LDS base is clearly diversifying at a rapid rate - you're seeing a lot more black Mormons coming through now...instead of just Polys and Whites. So that recruiting base is going to get better too.

But let's say BYU had 25 scholarships to deal out....and they felt like 7 Mormons were worthy of them....but they were going to have to tap into the Non-LDS crowd more than usual with those other 18. Could they do that? My guess is no, but it certainly would help their talent level.