What's new

The official Jazz improvement thread

Carbon13

Its fun to think about the draft picks and free agent signings, but really, the most exciting thing to think about is the improvement of our current players. I mean, could you imagine if Gobert comes back with a drop step hook and a 10 foot jumpshot? If Derrick returns with extended range and more counter moves? If Hayward improves his jumper by 2 to 3 percent? Dante improves his shot and is more comfortable? Trey embraces his role? Hood builds up his body? Alec understands the nuances of Quins system?

I think well be a 15% better team than last year on improvement alone. Add solid vets and a high upside pick and the future is bright. What do yall think?

I think we're 15% better just on the basis of getting Burks back, having Hood for the full season and NOT having Enes. TBH, I'd consider anything less than 48 wins a HUGE disappointment. To think we won 38 games with little contribution from our PG's and DLeaguers/scrubs at the 2 for half the year is incredible. Injuries will be a big factor again. But Jazz should have a deeper bench. They're over the hump in terms of learning the basics of Quin's system. And they finally have an identity: a tough defensive, high-energy team.

I do agree that internal improvement will be the main driver. Gobert HAS to be our franchise player. Maybe he doesn't develop a great offensive game during the summer; but I think he'll be a lot better. And how could Dante NOT improve? He was historically, epically bad. And don't forget Booker. He was just starting to develop 3PT range. If he becomes consisitent, we might already have our stretch-4 on the roster.

I think we're 15% better just on the basis of getting Burks back, having Hood for the full season and NOT having Enes. TBH, I'd consider anything less than 48 wins a HUGE disappointment. To think we won 38 games with little contribution from our PG's and DLeaguers/scrubs at the 2 for half the year is incredible. Injuries will be a big factor again. But Jazz should have a deeper bench. They're over the hump in terms of learning the basics of Quin's system. And they finally have an identity: a tough defensive, high-energy team.

I do agree that internal improvement will be the main driver. Gobert HAS to be our franchise player. Maybe he doesn't develop a great offensive game during the summer; but I think he'll be a lot better. And how could Dante NOT improve? He was historically, epically bad. And don't forget Booker. He was just starting to develop 3PT range. If he becomes consisitent, we might already have our stretch-4 on the roster.

Good analysis! If Gobert and Dante come back better, that helps a lot. Gobert just has such an extreme skillset, its almost on a Steph Curry shooting level. Am i crazy to think 55 wins is possible?

Good analysis! If Gobert and Dante come back better, that helps a lot. Gobert just has such an extreme skillset, its almost on a Steph Curry shooting level. Am i crazy to think 55 wins is possible?

You're not crazy. It's actually possible to win 82 games.

That's what a fan is: fanatical.
If they could maintain the pace they had after the all-star break for the whole season next year, that translates to 53 wins. So yes, 55 is possible, Jazz should definitely be a better team, but they won't be overlooked. Jazz have 3 good bigs, 3 good wings (and a couple of subs behind them). So I think it all comes down to our PG's.

Also, think about how much further ahead Quin and the rest of the coaches will be. Last year they were all new and new to the players. They have a much better idea of what works with whom and how to do it. Cannot wait for next season.

Also, think about how much further ahead Quin and the rest of the coaches will be. Last year they were all new and new to the players. They have a much better idea of what works with whom and how to do it. Cannot wait for next season.

Me either man. This season gon' be fun!

I love Gobert and think he's a major piece but I sometimes wonder if we are a bit hyperbolic in re his greatness

I love Gobert and think he's a major piece but I sometimes wonder if we are a bit hyperbolic in re his greatness
Yes, we are. All I'm actually expecting next season is moderate improvement in his offense, a bit stronger overall and for him to play 30 mins/per. Even a stat line of around 12 pts, 12-15 rebounds and 3 blocks would represent a HUGE leap for Utah, especially in terms of the early part of the season. But we know Rudy is HIGHLY motivated. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he comes back as the MIP and continues to amaze us. If that happens, I'm just not sure how good Utah could be!

Let's just crown the GS Warriors the champs, push the draft up to the end of the month and start the season in August!
Even with 10-15 games remaining, I was already starting to look ahead to 2015-16.

Probably, but there was a period of time there where the Jazz were just impregnable. If we can get a little more offense next year, i honestly think we could 55 games!!

Its fun to think about the draft picks and free agent signings, but really, the most exciting thing to think about is the improvement of our current players. I mean, could you imagine if Gobert comes back with a drop step hook and a 10 foot jumpshot? If Derrick returns with extended range and more counter moves? If Hayward improves his jumper by 2 to 3 percent? Dante improves his shot and is more comfortable? Trey embraces his role? Hood builds up his body? Alec understands the nuances of Quins system?

I think well be a 15% better team than last year on improvement alone. Add solid vets and a high upside pick and the future is bright. What do yall think?

I agree with you for the most part. I have been saying for a long time that the Jazz would jump into a whole other realm if we added some depth to our team. That would include Burke accepting his role and really giving his all every night on the floor. Booker I think is the strongest one that we have coming off the bench and he is do anything to help the team win type of player. He adds much needed energy and value off the bench. Hood made great strides even though only seeing minutes towards the last part of the season. If we can improve the other slots on the bench its going to pay dividends. I think right now the biggest question mark on the roster rests at the starting 2 guard spot. And depending on how Alec Burkes plays he may or may not answer that question.

Good discussion on the part of this forum "to be ignored", the one with Jazznewz that no one comments on or recs. Anyway, title involves Blue Ocean.

Takeaway from it is that the Jazz can get "there" and that Exum will be the key. The other key will be to continue to mine the DL and find a diamond in the rough like Demare Carroll. I agree with that for now: basically stand pat through next year and see what we have. After next year we will have a much better idea of our true needs.