What's new

Utah Jazz draft history review

The Black Swordsman

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1234996&sid=557a8f6341c00b7e5c00440243cabd9b

"Because I'm bored and because the trade deadline is quiet, for each year I'm going to look at the player(s) the Jazz drafted in the first round and the four players immediately after and then rank how the Jazz did. I think it's fair to limit the analysis to five picks rather than cherry picking the one guy who went later in the draft and saying "we couldve had him!"

23. DeShawn Stevenson
24. Dalibor Bagaric
25. Jake Tsakalidis
26. Mamadou N'Diaye
27. Primoz Brezac

DeShawn is pretty easily the best player of this group.

24. Raul Lopez
25. Gerald Wallace
26. Samuel Dalembert
27. Jamaal Tinsley
28. Tony Parker

Ouch. This one really hurts. Amazing that all four guys not named Raul Lopez are still regular rotation players (most of them starters).

18. Curtis Borchardt (I'm going to pretend like this was our pick, since we essentially traded 19 for 18)
19. Ryan Humphrey
20. Kareem Rush
21. Qyntel Woods
22. Casey Jacobsen

Rough group. I can't really fault the Jazz on this one. Borchardt could've been a decent player if not for injuries. Based on Winshares/48 minutes Jacobsen comes out on top of this poor group, and I'd probably put Borchardt 3rd, behind Kareem Rush.

19. Sasha Pavlovic
20. Dahntay Jones
21. Boris Diaw
22. Zoran Planinic
23. Travis Outlaw

I think Diaw wins this group, followed by Jones, then Outlaw, then Pavlovic. So Jazz got the 4th best guy from this group.

* I'm going to include all 15 picks starting with Humphries since the Jazz had 3 picks
14. Kris Humphries
15. Al Jefferson
16. Kirk Snyder
17. Josh Smith
18. J.R. Smith
19. Dorell Wright
20. Jameer Nelson
21. Pavel Podkolzin
22. Viktor Khryapa
23. Sergei Monia
24. Delonte West
25. Tony Allen
26. Kevin Martin
27. Sasha Vujacic
28. Beno Udrih

Jazz do pretty poorly here, landing only one rotation player in three tries out of a group of 15 that features several one-time or near All-Stars (Josh Smith, Jameer Nelson, Al Jefferson, Kevin Martin) and several solid rotation guys (Humphries, J.R. Smith, Tony Allen). With two of the top three picks of this group of 15 the Jazz only landed one rotation guy, none of the near-stars and that one guy they traded after one year.

3. Deron Williams
4. Chris Paul
5. Raymond Felton
6. Martell Webster
7. Charlie Villanueva

Perhaps the best draft on KOC's resume, and you can argue he screwed it up by not drafting Paul, who will go down as the best PG of this generation. At least the Jazz got the second best player from this group. It's better than their average.

14. Ronnie Brewer
15. Cedric Simmons
16. Rodney Carney
17. Shawne Williams
18. Oleksiv Pecherov

Jazz win this one pretty easily.

25. Morris Almond
26. Aaron Brooks
27. Arron Afflalo
28. Tiago Splitter
29. Alando Tucker

Again, ouch. Jazz end up with clearly the worst guy from this quintet.

23. Kosta Koufos
24. Serge Ibaka
25. Nicolas Batum
26. George Hill
27. Darrell Arthur

Jazz get either the 4th best or 5th best player from this group and miss out on three quality starters.

20. Eric Maynor
21. Darren Collison
22. Victor Claver
23. Omri Casspi
24. Byron Mullens

Maynor is probably 3rd best in this group if you're being generous.

9. Gordon Hayward
10. Paul George
11. Cole Aldrich
12. Xavier Henry
13. Ed Davis

It looks like the Jazz have the second-best player from this group. We all love Hayward, but Paul George just made the All-Star team. For me, this one smarts a little, but at least we didn't draft Aldrich or Henry.

2011a
3. Enes Kanter
4. Tristan Thompson
5. Jonas Valanciunas
6. Jan Vesely
7. Bismack Biyombo

It's too early to tell, given how raw all of these guys are, but I think Kanter will end up being the best player from this group. If he's second, it will be to Valanciunas. I'm grateful we didn't grab Vesely.

2011b
12. Alec Burks
13. Markieff Morris
14. Marcus Morris
15. Kawhi Leonard
16. Nikola Vucevic

Again, too early to tell, but Leonard looks like the class of this group. Burks could play himself into the second spot, but right now he's probably fourth behind guys who have gotten more consistent PT.

I welcome your opinions, feedback, criticism, etc."

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1234996&sid=557a8f6341c00b7e5c00440243cabd9b

I shamefully ripped this guys post but he does such a great job. Rather than rewriting what he did I instead posted what he said.

This guy just does such a great job of breaking down that Jazz really haven't done as good as expected in draft. Oconnor got a couple of steals in round two of draft so it makes it seem like he is better than we think he is. I for one am glad we have a new GM. O connors draft history sucks would be an understatement.

"Because I'm bored and because the trade deadline is quiet, for each year I'm going to look at the player(s) the Jazz drafted in the first round and the four players immediately after and then rank how the Jazz did. I think it's fair to limit the analysis to five picks rather than cherry picking the one guy who went later in the draft and saying "we couldve had him!"

23. DeShawn Stevenson
24. Dalibor Bagaric
25. Jake Tsakalidis
26. Mamadou N'Diaye
27. Primoz Brezac

DeShawn is pretty easily the best player of this group.

24. Raul Lopez
25. Gerald Wallace
26. Samuel Dalembert
27. Jamaal Tinsley
28. Tony Parker

Ouch. This one really hurts. Amazing that all four guys not named Raul Lopez are still regular rotation players (most of them starters).

18. Curtis Borchardt (I'm going to pretend like this was our pick, since we essentially traded 19 for 18)
19. Ryan Humphrey
20. Kareem Rush
21. Qyntel Woods
22. Casey Jacobsen

Rough group. I can't really fault the Jazz on this one. Borchardt could've been a decent player if not for injuries. Based on Winshares/48 minutes Jacobsen comes out on top of this poor group, and I'd probably put Borchardt 3rd, behind Kareem Rush.

19. Sasha Pavlovic
20. Dahntay Jones
21. Boris Diaw
22. Zoran Planinic
23. Travis Outlaw

I think Diaw wins this group, followed by Jones, then Outlaw, then Pavlovic. So Jazz got the 4th best guy from this group.

* I'm going to include all 15 picks starting with Humphries since the Jazz had 3 picks
14. Kris Humphries
15. Al Jefferson
16. Kirk Snyder
17. Josh Smith
18. J.R. Smith
19. Dorell Wright
20. Jameer Nelson
21. Pavel Podkolzin
22. Viktor Khryapa
23. Sergei Monia
24. Delonte West
25. Tony Allen
26. Kevin Martin
27. Sasha Vujacic
28. Beno Udrih

Jazz do pretty poorly here, landing only one rotation player in three tries out of a group of 15 that features several one-time or near All-Stars (Josh Smith, Jameer Nelson, Al Jefferson, Kevin Martin) and several solid rotation guys (Humphries, J.R. Smith, Tony Allen). With two of the top three picks of this group of 15 the Jazz only landed one rotation guy, none of the near-stars and that one guy they traded after one year.

3. Deron Williams
4. Chris Paul
5. Raymond Felton
6. Martell Webster
7. Charlie Villanueva

Perhaps the best draft on KOC's resume, and you can argue he screwed it up by not drafting Paul, who will go down as the best PG of this generation. At least the Jazz got the second best player from this group. It's better than their average.

14. Ronnie Brewer
15. Cedric Simmons
16. Rodney Carney
17. Shawne Williams
18. Oleksiv Pecherov

Jazz win this one pretty easily.

25. Morris Almond
26. Aaron Brooks
27. Arron Afflalo
28. Tiago Splitter
29. Alando Tucker

Again, ouch. Jazz end up with clearly the worst guy from this quintet.

23. Kosta Koufos
24. Serge Ibaka
25. Nicolas Batum
26. George Hill
27. Darrell Arthur

Jazz get either the 4th best or 5th best player from this group and miss out on three quality starters.

20. Eric Maynor
21. Darren Collison
22. Victor Claver
23. Omri Casspi
24. Byron Mullens

Maynor is probably 3rd best in this group if you're being generous.

9. Gordon Hayward
10. Paul George
11. Cole Aldrich
12. Xavier Henry
13. Ed Davis

It looks like the Jazz have the second-best player from this group. We all love Hayward, but Paul George just made the All-Star team. For me, this one smarts a little, but at least we didn't draft Aldrich or Henry.

2011a
3. Enes Kanter
4. Tristan Thompson
5. Jonas Valanciunas
6. Jan Vesely
7. Bismack Biyombo

It's too early to tell, given how raw all of these guys are, but I think Kanter will end up being the best player from this group. If he's second, it will be to Valanciunas. I'm grateful we didn't grab Vesely.

2011b
12. Alec Burks
13. Markieff Morris
14. Marcus Morris
15. Kawhi Leonard
16. Nikola Vucevic

Again, too early to tell, but Leonard looks like the class of this group. Burks could play himself into the second spot, but right now he's probably fourth behind guys who have gotten more consistent PT.

I welcome your opinions, feedback, criticism, etc."

I shamefully ripped this guys post but he does such a great job. Rather than rewriting what he did I instead posted what he said.

This guy just does such a great job of breaking down that Jazz really haven't done as good as expected in draft. Oconnor got a couple of steals in round two of draft so it makes it seem like he is better than we think he is. I for one am glad we have a new GM. O connors draft history sucks would be an understatement.

Sucks? You would have to go through and compare him to every other GM who drafts to make any kind of statement, since draft success should be compared relatively to his peers.

e1e1ad60f07c4aa3ccbcb2973e9d7007_XL.jpg

Honestly the only year IMO that you can really harp on is the year we drafted Deron. I think everyone knew that Paul was a better prospect, but we drafted a less talented guy who we thought would fit the mold of our team better. That draft still worked out well for us. Saying "WTF!! HOW COULD WE TAKE LOPEZ OVER PARKER??" is so damn stupid. Yes everyone was gushing over this French PG no one had ever heard of. Getting a great pick in the teens - late 1st is luck most of the time which is exactly where we've picked just about every season. The (3) picks we've had in the top 10 (recent-ish years) we've taken Deron, Hayward, and Kanter. I think we've done just fine.