What's new

Utah vs. Arizona State, 11/9 @ 2pm, PAC-12 Network

What do you guys think about Ed Orgeron(USC's interim coach) being a possibility if K-Whitt were gone:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ollege-football-usc-coach-ed-orgeron/3465635/

I really don't think there is a shot in hell of them giving him the coaching job due to boosters, especially since they could probably retain him in another capacity there if some other team didn't come in with a HC job offer, but would he even be an interesting hire to Utah fans?

Problem is, I don't think he makes a bowl. I see Colorado as the only remaining win on the schedule.

Look, there was a lot of sentiment from Ute fans to keep Coach Mac. Firing MacBride was extremely difficult for everybody but it allowed this program to grow because Chris Hill made the right hire in Urban Meyer. Firing Whit does backfire if you hire some chump, but it also helps the program take the next step if you get the right guy.

We will lose to Oregon, and it will be closer than you think. Then we will beat WSU and Colorado, doing what many hoped we would do before the season started. We have the hardest schedule in the country.

We have lost to:

Oregon St 6-3
UCLA 7-2
Arizona 6-3
Arizona St 7-2
USC 7-3
Oregon (next week) 8-1

There is a chance the worst team we lost to was a 9 win team. The PAC-12 is STACKED this year, and they have accomplished all this with a 9 game schedule (suck is SEC).

Not a bad team there. Considering Wilson was sick or hurt for UCLA, Arizona and USC, that didn't help anything (wasn't the UCLA game around the time of his best friend's funeral?). The ASU, UCLA, Oregon St and Stanford games shows how close we are. We are right there. If Wilson was a JR instead of a true Soph, we probably win two of those games.

This is a good team and we are close. WSU has 4 wins...three are over Cal, Idaho and Southern Utah. They aren't very good.

We will go bowling. We will probably end up a FA looking for a bowl, and probably end up at the heart of dallas or pinstripe bowl...and we will win HUGE.

We will be really, really good next year. It isn't fair to fire Whitt now, when our goal before the year was get to a bowl game, especially if he gets to a bowl game. We are playing the toughest schedule in the country, with a true soph injured QB. Don't expect too much. Our whole offense returns next year, including getting Scott, Murphy and Tonga back.

Whitt got us here, he deserves a chance to make us relevant here. He is set up to do so next year. If he makes a bowl, he stays, no question. Then expect something special from Whitt, Erickson and Sitake next year. We will compete for the south title.

What do you guys think about Ed Orgeron(USC's interim coach) being a possibility if K-Whitt were gone:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ollege-football-usc-coach-ed-orgeron/3465635/

I really don't think there is a shot in hell of them giving him the coaching job due to boosters, especially since they could probably retain him in another capacity there if some other team didn't come in with a HC job offer, but would he even be an interesting hire to Utah fans?

Utah has a lot of talent in state. We need someone that knows the in state recruiting and can get kids from Cali and TX. I still think Whitt is the best man for the job. If Whitt is gone, I go hard after Andersen. Andersen is making 1.8 million at Wisconsin. Utah is paying Whitt at least $500,000 more and paying coordinators more than Wisc is paying theirs. Maybe Wisconsin matches/gives him a raise, but if you can get him back, he might be the only person I consider letting Whitt go for this year.

Andersen probably doesn't, but Utah would give him more money. And give his assistants more money. And have better facilities. And have better weather. And Andersen could come home. And Utah produces more DI football players than Wisconsin. And plays a tougher schedule. Anyways, Andersen might not leave, but there are pluses to Utah that Wisconsin doesn't have.

I'm with green on this one. I can't give up on Whitt just yet. My expectation coming into this season was 6-6, possibly 7-5, but I knew replacing Cal and Washington with Oregon and Stanford would make it tough to get to 7 wins. I think we can get to 6 wins and win a bowl game, which would hit my expectation for this year.

I'm with green on this one. I can't give up on Whitt just yet. My expectation coming into this season was 6-6, possibly 7-5, but I knew replacing Cal and Washington with Oregon and Stanford would make it tough to get to 7 wins. I think we can get to 6 wins and win a bowl game, which would hit my expectation for this year.

6-and-6 with a bowl game should certainly buy Whit another year. Problem is, seems like so many of you think that a win at Wazzu is a foregone conclusion. It's not, and I think it's gonna be a dog fight for Utah. Talk about strength of schedule all you want but if you start 4-and-2 and DON'T make a bowl game, it's time to rethink a few things.

6-and-6 with a bowl game should certainly buy Whit another year. Problem is, seems like so many of you think that a win at Wazzu is a foregone conclusion. It's not, and I think it's gonna be a dog fight for Utah. Talk about strength of schedule all you want but if you start 4-and-2 and DON'T make a bowl game, it's time to rethink a few things.

Every time I think "we need a new coach", I think "who would we hire?"

I'd rather they get stomped than lose like they did. Well, at least we have the Jazz to look forward to watching.

Every time I think "we need a new coach", I think "who would we hire?"

I'd start with giving the Northern Illinois HC a call. I'd also monitor the goings on with Chris Peterson. Again, if Whit can guide this team to 6 wins and a bowl, he needs to be retained. I want things to work out with Whit more than anybody. I'm also trying to be realistic. If you start the season 4-and-2, and can't beat Wazzu and Colorado at the end of your season to secure a bowl, I think Chris Hill has to make some really hard decisions. I realize the middle of the schedule was BRUTAL, but you just can't win 4 of your first 6, and then have Wazzu and Colorado at the end of your schedule and miss a bowl. I'm sorry, you can't have that happen and feel like this program is moving forward in any way, shape or form.

Another idea on potential coaches: Utah needs to do their homework on OC's from biggger programs. The first guy who comes to mind is Clemson's OC (his name escapes me). 2 years ago, Alabama's OC left the Tide to be HC at Colorado State. Obviously, Utah shouldn't have a problem plucking one of the top OC's in the country if CSU can.

You realize that WSU's four wins are Kiffin-Trojans, Southern Utah, Idaho State and Cal...right?

And you realize that Utah's lone win away from home was @ BYU?

That's fine. Utah should win this game. WSU isn't that good. Look at Utah's losses:

51-48 OSU - 3 points
34-27 UCLA - 7 points
35-24 Arizona - 11 points
19-3 USC - 16 points
20-19 ASU - 1 point

Both double digit losses was when Wilson was hurt and couldn't throw the ball.

WSU's losses:

31-24 Auburn - 7 points
55-17 Stanford - 38 points
52-24 OSU - 28 points
62-38 Oregon - 24 points
55-21 ASU - 34 points

Do you really think this should be a tough game for Utah? Utah can most definitely lose, BUT this is a game Utah SHOULD win.

Utah is progressing. WSU is regressing. Utah should win this game.

That's fine. Utah should win this game. WSU isn't that good. Look at Utah's losses:

51-48 OSU - 3 points
34-27 UCLA - 7 points
35-24 Arizona - 11 points
19-3 USC - 16 points
20-19 ASU - 1 point

Both double digit losses was when Wilson was hurt and couldn't throw the ball.

WSU's losses:

31-24 Auburn - 7 points
55-17 Stanford - 38 points
52-24 OSU - 28 points
62-38 Oregon - 24 points
55-21 ASU - 34 points

Do you really think this should be a tough game for Utah? Utah can most definitely lose, BUT this is a game Utah SHOULD win.

Utah is progressing. WSU is regressing. Utah should win this game.

Yes, I do. Utah went up to Wazzu 2 years ago against a team that was much worse and escaped with a FG win. Win or lose, I see this game as coming down to 1 score. You can use stats and numbers to make nearly any argument compelling, and I will give you your due: You are very good at doing just that. However, sometimes you have to go by the "eye" test. Numbers aside, Utah has looked like hell on the road this year with the exception of BYU.

Forgive me, but until I see this team actually come out and put up a decent outing on the road, the away games are going to scare me regardless of opponent.

Yes, I do. Utah went up to Wazzu 2 years ago against a team that was much worse and escaped with a FG win. Win or lose, I see this game as coming down to 1 score. You can use stats and numbers to make nearly any argument compelling, and I will give you your due: You are very good at doing just that. However, sometimes you have to go by the "eye" test. Numbers aside, Utah has looked like hell on the road this year with the exception of BYU.

Forgive me, but until I see this team actually come out and put up a decent outing on the road, the away games are going to scare me regardless of opponent.

Fair enough. If Murphy can play, that COMPLETELY changes the OL situation. We were serviceable with him earlier in the year for a couple of reasons. We could go one back, two TE's and pull the G to one side and overload that one side. This puts the point of attack at the line of scrimmage or even a yard past, which gives the RB room to do something. Right now, with two backs, we have the FB doing what the TE could do, which happens at the line of scrimmage or a yard back, which makes it harder for the RB to do anything.

2 - With Murphy there, he is a threat to catch the ball. This means that those DE's can't just pin their ears back and attack Poutasi. They have to chip Murphy to give the LB a chance to cover him. Also, this allows Murphy to chip the end on a deeper route to the WR's. Also, it allows Murphy to stay back and block then release late in the play for a safety dump for Wilson.

Our OL was serviceable when we had Murphy and Tonga. Getting one back completely changes this offense.