What's new

What will the Jazz's depth chart be this year?

Matthew Thomas Castleton

Here's mine:

PG: Trey Burke, Dante Exum, Ian Clark
SG: Alec Burks, Rodney Hood, Joe Ingles
SF: Gordon Hayward, Jeremy Evans, Joe Ingles
PF: Enes Kanter, Trevor Booker, Steve Novak
C: Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert, Enes Kanter

Based upon what I have seen so far, this should be our depth chart going forward. However, of note, where has Jeremy Evans been lately? He didn't play at all against Cleveland. Also, I am really, really impressed with Trevor Booker. He is giving the Jazz what Paul Millsap used to give them off the bench @ PF. Hayward and Favors are playing like All-stars right now though. Kanter also played really well against the Cavs.

I am no basketball expert, but to me it looks like Quin Snyder does not follow the traditional depth chart model where the same players are coming in/out at the same time in every game. Snyder looks to be trying to getting the players positions where they can contribute the most like he did by making Ingles throw the inbound pass to Hayward for the game winner.

I'm actually surprised (and possibly at the same time a bit relieved) that Novak has had so little time given the amount of press information when we first got him about how he spaced the court and could nail the 3. Coach Snyder mustn't be too happy with his defence or something ?

What will the Jazz depth chart be?

Shallow.

I am really surprised with ingles. He is a smart dude. Glad to see he is getting minutes.

I am really surprised with ingles. He is a smart dude. Glad to see he is getting minutes.
So far I have alot of trust in snyders rotations.
I think it was duck rogers who said that he feels like he is making the substitutions from his couch.

Snyder has my trust right now..... his subs always seem to have a purpose and make sense

Snyder has my trust right now..... his subs always seem to have a purpose and make sense
Agree. And his depth chart is more than just stats. You look at Ingles' numbers and wonder why the heck he even sees time on the court. But then you watch the game and see him always making the correct pass and being in the right place.

Still feel a bit sad to not see Jermaine Evans getting some time on the court. But I'd say Novak not playing is the biggest surprise. He was supposed to be the floor spacer Quin needed to get the offense going. Guess Booker has just carped the diem.

I wonder how Evans fits in SNyder's plans...I mean, Evans put in a lot of work during the off season. I DO hope he is able to get some burn.

I wonder how Evans fits in SNyder's plans...I mean, Evans put in a lot of work during the off season. I DO hope he is able to get some burn.
I figure there will be an injury at some point and Evans will get to play

I think it's deep enough. I'd be happier if Ian Clark, Novak, Evans got some PT but the bench is looking good so far and Exum exceeds expectations. Ian Clark will possibly get some minutes later in the season.

I'm actually surprised (and possibly at the same time a bit relieved) that Novak has had so little time given the amount of press information when we first got him about how he spaced the court and could nail the 3. Coach Snyder mustn't be too happy with his defence or something ?

Not surprised at all. Dude was a salary dump to buy a pick from the very beginning. He was never going to play significant minutes here, regardless of what press info they put out. It's not like they are going to say, "Hey, we had to spend money, so we took a bad contract to gain a 2nd rounder, and even though the guy is a great shooter, he does nothing else and his defense is going to keep him on the bench. But hey, EVERYBODY CHEER FOR 2nD ROUNDER!!!!"

Last edited:

Ingles fills the shooting/ floor spreading from the 3, with better all around game, higher BB IQ and facilitation skills, with less defensive liability. Novak may get some burn versus teams with inferior scoring 4s.

Hard to see a 3/4 surviving in QS's system without ability to hit a 3. So I wouldn't hold your breath, JE will get low burn and then we say goodbye after this year.