What's new

Why did it take the NBA so long?

b_line

I have been thinking about this a lot this season, and I can't figure out why it has taken the NBA so long to realize the value of the 3 pt shot. Stats guys are always talking about teams being "ahead of the curve" in recognizing that the shots that are most valuable are layups and 3 point shots. I mean, when I played on the playground as a kid or in Junior Jazz/Church Ball, I knew this stuff.

So why would it take so long for the game to move to players taking less mid range shots? College teams have understood spacing for years, yet NBA teams have only recently "discovered" that these shots produce a higher effective field goal percentage?

I have been thinking about this a lot this season, and I can't figure out why it has taken the NBA so long to realize the value of the 3 pt shot. Stats guys are always talking about teams being "ahead of the curve" in recognizing that the shots that are most valuable are layups and 3 point shots. I mean, when I played on the playground as a kid or in Junior Jazz/Church Ball, I knew this stuff.

So why would it take so long for the game to move to players taking less mid range shots? College teams have understood spacing for years, yet NBA teams have only recently "discovered" that these shots produce a higher effective field goal percentage?

Because you have players that grew up being taught to shoot midrange or take it to the rim, so that is what they practiced. Then those dudes became coaches.

What I get out of this thread is the NBA would be way ahead of where it is now if B Line had gotten the chance to coach or be a GM.

Thats not the euroleague ma boy... We need the good ol midrange shot, to be loyal to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKedq1udBZ8

I remember when that Orlando team was doing very good people were saying stuff like "I don't like a team that depends on 3 point shots" or something like that.

I have been thinking about this a lot this season, and I can't figure out why it has taken the NBA so long to realize the value of the 3 pt shot.

....stats be damned, I still think a team like the old Utah Jazz with Stockton and Malone, running a half court offense with the precision they did, and limiting there 3 point shooting to around 12 a game, could end up beating these hot shot 3 point shooting teams in a 7 game series....IF they would take away or make it more difficult to shoot wide open 3's! It's just very difficult to sustain a high percentage of makes from 3 point land as opposed to creating high percentage shots closer to the basket, especially in the playoffs! I could be wrong, but I'm sticking with my story!

Shaq, Penny, Scott. That was a fun team to watch.
He may have even been taking about the Orlando team featuring dwight Howard.

I remember that team strategy seemed to be surround dwight with three point shooters and when he gets doubled, kick it out.

He may have even been taking about the Orlando team featuring dwight Howard.

I remember that team strategy seemed to be surround dwight with three point shooters and when he gets doubled, kick it out.

When the Scott, Penny, Shaq team was together, they led the NBA in threes. They tried to duplicate it with Howard, which they did when they made it to another Finals. That team also had Nick "can't make a FT in crunch time" Anderson.

They threw the ball into Shaq, and he either dunked it or kicked it out for a three. I remember loving that team. We had just moved to Orlando and they were just getting good.

I don't think it's a recent revelation at all. NBA teams have known the value of the 3ball for a long time. Not sure what yall are talkin bout tbh.

Moreyball is relatively recent, but that's a bit different than knowing the value of the 3ball, and more about devaluing the importance of a midrange game. Lots of traditional basketball minds don't embrace the purely statistical belief of 3s-or-layups-only because it doesn't take strategy into account. For example, if your team puts a heavy emphasis on only taking 2 types of shots, it's much easier to gameplan against.

3 reasons:

Like 95% of all mankind is extremely untalented with numbers.

Average skilllevel of a player has extremely increased.

Front Offices/Coaches are less of a fraternity product than before.

3 reasons:

Like 95% of all mankind is extremely untalented with numbers.

Average skilllevel of a player has extremely increased.

Front Offices/Coaches are less of a fraternity product than before.

I think the spurs fraternity has kind of taken over.

I have been thinking about this a lot this season, and I can't figure out why it has taken the NBA so long to realize the value of the 3 pt shot.

It's the same reason that Mr. Sloan never figured it out.

I think if you figure out one thing in the world of sports is that adaptation is key. Foundation is paramount but without adapting, your foundation means nothing.