What's new

“Sometimes, I worry about shooting too much,” Miles said

The thing about potential, there's no guarantee a person will reach it. CJ strikes me as the kind of person who will never live up to what he could be. He just doesn't have the mentality. A little time playing college ball would have served him well, I think. As it stands he isn't a nice role player, or guy coming off the bench. He's a steaming pile of **** and should be shown the door at the end of the season.

Can we finally call this clown a bust?
I will admit that Clank The Clown is funny. That last game the clown was really doing his thing. Looking and pointing and pulling faces and trying to blame someone else. But if the Jazz keep the clown I won't waste time or money with this team. I won't buy a single ticket.

Here I thought he didn't care how much he shot. Now we find he is a chucker who has no confidence in his shot. It's worse then we thought

If your going to be a chucker at least think your going to make the shot.

I will admit that Clank The Clown is funny. That last game the clown was really doing his thing. Looking and pointing and pulling faces and trying to blame someone else. But if the Jazz keep the clown I won't waste time or money with this team. I won't buy a single ticket.

LOLz, what the hell? Sloan quits, Deron is traded , the Jazz blow, but if CJ is on the team next year that is it! I'm done!

KEK, I don't think Miles should get anything close to the contract of Al but basically they are very similar players so maybe Miles could get a contract like that. Miles is a much better FT shooter and shows some potential at times. Neither play much defense and both sit on the perimeter and chuck 3's, Harrington is a better shooter though 37% to 32%. Miles is probably a better creator while Harrington grabs a few more boards. They just seem very similar and if Al can get full mid level, why can't CJ?

KEK, I don't think Miles should get anything close to the contract of Al but basically they are very similar players so maybe Miles could get a contract like that. Miles is a much better FT shooter and shows some potential at times. Neither play much defense and both sit on the perimeter and chuck 3's, Harrington is a better shooter though 37% to 32%. Miles is probably a better creator while Harrington grabs a few more boards. They just seem very similar and if Al can get full mid level, why can't CJ?

Al Harrington is a 6'9 forward who over a long career has averaged 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg and 1 bpg on 44.6% shooting from 2, 36% shooting from 3 and 73% from the line over 29 mpg. Keep in mind this is career average, his best year has better numbers.

CJ Miles is a 6'6 guard who in his best year so far has averaged 12.9 ppg, 3 rpg, 2 apg and 1 spg on 40.6% shooting from 2, 32% shooting from 3 and 81% from the line over 25 mpg.

In what way are these two similar players?

Isn't it obvious? Al Harrington has the mobility of a runningback, but the shooting ability of a guard. CJ is similar in a way, but not as much. Instead, he creates with his mind, using the skills he learned as a child.

- Craig

What's CJ's option worth? Like 4.5 million? Sorry, but with the outrageous contracts players are getting these days that's a bargain. CJ is good enough to be the 7th or 8th man on a great team and that's worth keeping around. With all the turmoil this year he's just been asked to take on a role that he's honestly not capable of. He was a 2nd round project who has turned into a solid NBA caliber player with an extremely reasonable deal. I have no issue keeping CJ around at that price for as long as we can.

CJ was not just a second round project. He was projected as high as mid lottery on some boards. The fact is that CJ fell to the Jazz in the second round even though he was one of the top High School recruits. I remember how excited the board was about his addition to the team as well.

CJ's option will be picked up and then he will be traded this off-season in a package deal. We have proven this year that CJ can score and other teams will be intrested in taking him off our hands.

CJ just turned 24. He is younger than Wes Matthews and only six months older than Jeremy Evans. He still has not reached his prime. When he is on, he plays like an All-Star, when not, which seems more often than not, he is like what a lot of people here are describing. But his option is cheap, so we should give him another year before we let him go unless we can use him for a beneficial trade. You can't argue about his talent nor his desire to improve.

Saying the jazz should pick him up and then trade him is bunk. No other team wants him. They would just be stuck with the clown again hoping he will improve. Why bother? So many better options. But the jazz organization is blind when it comes to the clown.

Isn't it obvious? Al Harrington has the mobility of a runningback, but the shooting ability of a guard. CJ is similar in a way, but not as much. Instead, he creates with his mind, using the skills he learned as a child.

- Craig
Do Craig's posts make any sense at all, or am I the only guy who finds his logic dizzying?

Not knowing just how Sloan "coached up" CJ, I'd re-sign him for a year and see how he does under Corbin. As I said earlier, Ty IS saying the right things re: CJ needing to improve his OVERALL game and stop fretting over missed shots. Now we need to see how CJ responds to Ty; does he pout or play better...
I do remember Sloan never seemed to (publicly at least) criticize Boozer's lack of defense. Once CJ was anointed by Sloan to be our official 6th man and bench scorer, he seemed to back off criticizing CJ's game...

Any NBA player in the history of the game who says he wasn't thinking about his shot going through a slump like CJ is a liar. The one thing I like about CJ, clumsy as he can be sometimes expressing himself, is that he's a pretty open book. You never hear the usual cliches with him.

That said, this is a big summer for him. Whether he's with us or not, he needs to change his whole program. To my mind, too much talent not to pick up the option. But if I was the Jazz, I would want to hear a very solid plan about the offseason. As I've said before, 3.7 in a contract year is a bet you make. But I'd want to know CJ has a serious plan for the summer.

CJ was not just a second round project. He was projected as high as mid lottery on some boards. The fact is that CJ fell to the Jazz in the second round even though he was one of the top High School recruits. I remember how excited the board was about his addition to the team as well.

CJ's option will be picked up and then he will be traded this off-season in a package deal. We have proven this year that CJ can score and other teams will be intrested in taking him off our hands.

Same thing I've been saying. I think it's extremely unlikely the Jazz will keep the #12 pick, They already have enough youth on the team with Hayward, Favors, Evans and the NJ pick. Of course, without a new CBA, no trade can take place right away. KOC will have to make the pick and then trade the rights to that player after a CBA is signed. I'm hoping for a veteran with the impact of a Jefferson. With AK coming off the book, Jazz should have room under whatever the new luxury tax level or hard cap will be. Offering a team a replacement wing in CJ, + the #12 AND perhaps next year's GS pick (depending on who they target) could net Utah a very nice starter at SF.

Or if it doesn't happen in the summer, the Jazz would then have a mid-range expiring in CJ or a high-priced expiring in Okur to package with next year's GS pick at the trade deadline. Depending on who the Jazz draft, CJ could also be the interim starter at SF until mid-season, when the #6 pick is ready to take over. We'll be awfully thin at the wing positions. Even Clanker has value if the Jazz draft big (Kanter?) or bring in a young PG and do not re-sign AK.