What's new

2015 Offseason

Eminence

Hey everyone, first post on these boards, so not really sure what all the common chatter is right now. But I'm just going to go over what I'm thinking for the team going forward into the next season and what we should be looking for.

Recently (after the break) I've really been a fan of our overall defensive effort but our offensive side of the ball still leaves a bit to be desired. The current players I see as rotation pieces moving forward are Exum, Burks, Hayward, Favors, Booker and Gobert. Hood and Burke are both more than solid players don't get me wrong, but I'm not sure how well they fit the new defense first and passing based balanced offense Quinn seems to be striving for going forwards. Burke seems a bit ball dominant to play with Burks, and he and Exum are an awkward fit together. Hood I just haven't seen quite enough from, if he could improve his shooting and defense just a bit I could buy him being a valuable player for us as well. And I don't really expect any of our overseas players to come over any time soon, any word on that for any of them? So that leaves needing about 4 more players to fill out our rotation for next season, with Hood and Burke as potentially movable pieces.

Things I think we'd need (no particular order)
1. Ballhandling- with Exum as the primary PG we'd need at least one more primary ballhandler to shore up that spot.
2. Shooting- Burks and Hayward can hit the occasional jumper, but we're in need of a bit more.
3. Defense- All new additions need to play some D so we can build on that identity.
4. Size- just need one more frontcourt player to fill out the rotation really.

So going into the offseason we'll have some cap room, but have never really been able to land a big signing before and I really don't expect that to change, so I feel we should aim for rotational pieces there. In the draft meanwhile I expect us to wind up around the 9th pick or so where there should be some solid players to go for. And even in the second round I could see us grabbing a back of the rotation guy. So here's some of the guys I'd like for us to target in the draft/free agency and a couple lineups I could see us rolling out next season depending on which route we went.

Draft
-Stanley Johnson- Probably not going to be there when we pick, but he'd be a great pickup.
-Mario Hezonja- Could either be a great scorer off the bench or could move Burks to the bench.
-Justice Winslow- One of my ideal targets right now (realistically) I think he could slot in at the two and hopefully develop his shot while playing some great D and letting Burks take over leading the bench mob.
-Willie Cauley-Stein- I think he'd be great at what we'd ask him to do, could be a top defender at either the 4 or 5 and could really provide some great time off the bench.
-Dakari Johnson- If available in the second round I'd be more than willing to take a flyer on him, ton of potential. Big body.
-Ron Baker- I really like him as player and believe he could play well alongside any of our other backcourt guys so that's a big plus.
-lots of other options for the second round depending on who falls of course.

Free Agency
-Going to focus mostly on unrestricted players, as I'd love to have a Butler or Beverly, but believe any reasonable offers will be matched.
-Wesley Matthews- Solid and everything we'd be looking for in a guy to move Burks to the bench, wish he'd never have left.
-Danny Green- Great shooter, solid D, I'm interested.
-Ed Davis- Puts up numbers when he gets a chance.

So if we got a bit lucky in the lottery or used Burke to move up a couple of picks I'd love a lineup like this:
Exum/Baker
Green/Burks
Hayward/Johnson
Favors/Booker
Gobert/Johnson or Davis

So what are everyone's thoughts?