What's new

2016 Draft Workouts!

I've compared him exactly to George Hill as his top-level NBA comp. It's hard for me to see him as a playmaker, but he can be a good 3 and D PG.
I mean, he could be a better version of Hill, but I don't see a skillset that would ever make him a top 10 PG.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

He got into the lane and finished terribly. Pedestrian assist numbers given the quality of shooting and size he had on his team. I think his ceiling is George Hill.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

He did finish poorly, but with his length and athleticism, it's hard to see him not improving that. In regards to assists, that's because his coach tried to run a high low offense through Jones. Watch the tape. He didn't play to the strengths of Baldwin. If you actually watch him play you can tell he has good vision.

George Hill is his floor IMO. He's already a 3 and D PG. he played his sophomore season at the age of 19. Look at the PG's coming out of college similar to him. They pretty much all worked out pretty well.

Makers combine numbers and measurements

MEASUREMENTS

Height Without Shoes: 6’11.75”

Height With Shoes: 7’0.75”

Weight: 216 lbs

Wingspan: 7’3

Standing Reach: 9’2.5”

Body Fat %: 6.1

Hand Length: 8.75

Hand Width: 9.50

ATHLETIC TESTING

Maximum Vertical Leap: 36.5’

Standing Vertical Leap: 32’

Lane Agility Time: 11.5 seconds

Three Quarter Sprint: 3.33 seconds

Shuttle Run: 3.09 seconds

His standing vertical and max vertical are the highest ever by anyone 6'11 and taller.

Makers combine numbers and measurements

MEASUREMENTS

Height Without Shoes: 6’11.75”

Height With Shoes: 7’0.75”

Weight: 216 lbs

Wingspan: 7’3

Standing Reach: 9’2.5”

Body Fat %: 6.1

Hand Length: 8.75

Hand Width: 9.50

ATHLETIC TESTING

Maximum Vertical Leap: 36.5’

Standing Vertical Leap: 32’

Lane Agility Time: 11.5 seconds

Three Quarter Sprint: 3.33 seconds

Shuttle Run: 3.09 seconds

His standing vertical and max vertical are the highest ever by anyone 6'11 and taller.

Tobey is interesting. He got 20 rebounds on senior night and he's 7 feet.

Thon is so well spoken... between that and his physical profile and good athleticism he is really intriguing. Seems like a guy that works hard and loves the game. Mature dude.

In watching his highlights I was a bit put off by his somewhat awkward movements, but it just may be his size and youth that make it look bad... like watching a newborn horse or deer move around.

As a gamble I'd rather take him than Skal.

Some highlights from Walt Perrin:

About Maker:
-him and Paige did really well going through the workout having in mind they had a workout yesterday in New York for 25 teams.
-his body might need 2-3 years before he's ready, but Perrin said he can see a coach give him minutes because of his shooting/faceup game.
-he watched him play 2 years ago, he's gotten bigger, smarter and his shot is better than back then(IMO, all good signs that he's working and improving his game)
-offensively he's likely going to be a faceup player, rather than post up(because of body type), defensively he might have hard time with strong bigs, but he will probably be able to guard players on the perimeter - quick for his size and long.
-he's a very good athlete from baseline to baseline, average to above average athlete vertically(that's interesting because his testing suggest his vertical athleticism is elite)
-good rebounder(good numbers for his age group)
-about basketball IQ - he's a very smart player, picked up things easily, willing to learn. Probably didn't have great coaching so far. The learning curve might be really quick in terms of picking up things.

About Demetrius Jackson:
-good, strong, able to get to the basket, shot it well during drills, above average 3p shooting
-has a way to go defensively... "he's so strong though".

Marcus Paige:
-smart basketball player
-can play PG

At this point I'm all in for drafting Maker at 12.

-he's a very good athlete from baseline to baseline, average to above average athlete vertically(that's interesting because his testing suggest his vertical athleticism is elite)

Elite for his size, I think. Probably average overall.

Some highlights from Walt Perrin:

About Maker:

Yeah even if you discount a couple inches for tanking his standing reach, a max of 36" for a 7'1" player is pretty elite. I only worry about his weight. 216 lbs is 20 lbs lighter than Gobert was at the combine! He would really struggle finishing and holding onto rebounds at that weight.

Guys like Maker or Sabonis could go lottery. There are so many bigs in this draft who factor into the lottery and mid-first that it's hard to predict who is going to go earlier or later. It depends on individual teams' preference. If the Jazz really like Maker for whatever reason, they should probably just take him at 12.

I honestly worry that Maker is going to be gone before the Jazz pick. Players like him seem to get drafted much higher than expected on draft day.

So is Thon the next Giannis?
He looks similar.
Is he worth taking over an elite shooter at #12?
Is the Warriors team concept already obsolete if they lose?

I honestly worry that Maker is going to be gone before the Jazz pick. Players like him seem to get drafted much higher than expected on draft day.

If he's gone we likely get a crack at one of either Chriss, Ellenson, or Poetl... All of which I'd prefer.

He looks similar.

He is closer to being the next Ibaka. He is 0% like Giannis.

He looks similar.

Think a mix between Ibaka and Kevin Garnett (not as good, just style wise).

I think Deytona Davis will be better than Maker and makes a better comparison to Ibaka. There's a (small) chance he's on the board at 12. With Davis, he's also built enough that he should be able to play as a shooting 5. I think that makes him a sleeper pick for the Jazz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pw_bc95O2c

I haven't seen anyone say, outside this board, that Maker is an elite athlete, even for his size. Most are saying what Perrin said. Average to above average. I just don't see him going in the lottery.