What's new

2017-18 NBA Notes and Info

Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
Some big changes this up coming season:

The NBA season will start on 10/17/17 this year.

Training camps will begin in the neighbor hood of 09/18/17.

The trade dead line has been moved to before All star weekend. It is 02/08/17 this year. The second Thursdaybefore allstar weekend.

Maximum # of timeouts in a game has been reduced from 18 to 14. So less stoppage of action.

NBA is limiting teams to 2 timeouts in the final 3 minutes.

My sources on all of this are twitter (WOJ, Tony Jones, Genessy, NBA)

All time outs are now 75 seconds

Only 2 timeouts per team in over time. Was 3 per team.

Houston Rockets owner Leslie Alexander is selling the team. Came as a total surprise to pretty much everyone.

I know it won't happen but I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see the Rockets get sold, move cities and change team name and colors. Like what happened to the Sonics lol.

Edit: My source is the Houston Rockets twitter

Some big changes this up coming season:

The NBA season will start on 10/17/17 this year.

Training camps will begin in the neighbor hood of 09/18/17.

The trade dead line has been moved to before All star weekend. It is 02/08/17 this year. The second Thursdaybefore allstar weekend.

Maximum # of timeouts in a game has been reduced from 18 to 14. So less stoppage of action.

NBA is limiting teams to 2 timeouts in the final 3 minutes.

My sources on all of this are twitter (WOJ, Tony Jones, Genessy, NBA)
Insane that there were 18 timeouts allowed in the first place.

Brian Windhosrt on twitter;

"Kyrie Irving requests a trade from Cavs, sources told ESPN. LeBron James was blindsided and is disappointed."

He said so. He was fairly friendly, he was with his wife. He did not appreciate me telling everyone he was DWill though.

Also why is Jordan and DWill in SLC today?

Was he wearing a mask or something?

I still love the irony of one of the only players to fully embrace SLC as his home is Dwill.

Was he wearing a mask or something?

I still love the irony of one of the only players to fully embrace SLC as his home is Dwill.
No mask but people apparently didn't recognize him. Even the people I was with who aren't big sports people knew his name but didn't recognize him. But they rode their bikes back around with a picture of him on their phone and got excited.

Competition Committee just sent some proposals to the Board of Govs. for votes.

1 proposals is recommended rules against resting players during the regular season. Another is a change to the lottery starting in 2019. Among the proposed changes to the draft is the 3 worst teams would all drop to an equal 14% chance to get the top pick.

Articles about this are on ESPN and Twitter.

I wish they'd just go back to all lottery teams having equal odds. There was nothing wrong with that and I don't know why they changed it.

I wish they'd just go back to all lottery teams having equal odds. There was nothing wrong with that and I don't know why they changed it.

These proposed changes are a step in that direction but I doubt it ever goes back to that.

What annoys me is the alleged justification for ending that kind of lottery was the Magic getting two straight number one picks in '92 and '93, the second one despite having a 41-41 record. People figured it was somehow unfair that they should get a number one pick having already gotten Shaq the year before.

Now, the year they drafted Shaq, they had finished with 21 wins. Shaq alone seemed to be good enough to get 41. They took Webber, they swapped him from Penny and won 50 games. They won 57 the year after and made NBA finals. They won 60 the year after that, and then Shaq bolted and Penny's body broke down.

Regardless, isn't this exactly the scenario you want to see? Here's a team that joined the league only 3 years prior, sitting at 21 wins, and they draft first twice and parlay it into a finals appearance within 3 years! In the three years immediately after getting Penny, they averaged 56 wins. Isn't that a good thing? Under the current system, the Magic would've most likely picked 13th or 14th and gotten someone like Terry Dehere, who was the best available point guard at that point(back then, of course). Then Shaq would drag them all to 45 wins for the next few seasons.

People talk about Philly and how they have a talented team and all this and that, but the amount of waste over the past decade is astounding. They had the number 2 pick 7 years ago and ended up with Evan Turner whom they traded for Danny Granger's corpse. The corpse was duly bought out a week after the trade. They had a rookie of the year in MCW and they traded him half a season later. They dumped Noel, who was a 6th pick of the draft only 3 years ago. They're screwing up Okafor as we speak. I highly doubt their win total cracks 30 this year.

Sacramento has picked in the top 8 last 9 years in a row. Let that sink in. Top 12 for 11 years. They've done jack all with it all because they're just a bad organization, as is Philly. They had to trade Cousins because they couldn't get through to him or build around him. Bismack Biyombo(traded for Jimmer), Thomas Robinson, Ben McLemore, Nick Stauskas, Willy Cauley-Stein, Marquess Chriss(traded for Labissier). You know what they all have in common? Not one player on this list averaged double-figures in points this year. Not the players they drafted, and not the players those players were traded for. I mean, freaking hell, stop giving top 8 picks to the organization that's drafting like this.

The reason these teams can keep doing this is partly that they're not really losing money because of merchandising, revenue sharing, and insane TV money. The bigger part is that they keep being given high lottery picks because they just keep losing. It doesn't seem to help with the losing, though, but they keep getting them. Wouldn't it be nice to see some of the other teams rewarded with a high pick. The Nuggets missed the playoffs this year and much as I hate them(local rivals!), wouldn't it be nice to see them getting a number one pick(well, four, but you know what I'm talking about) instead of Philly? Rewarding them for drafting smartly and actually developing players and not just being a field hospital?

People talk about Philly and how they have a talented team and all this and that, but the amount of waste over the past decade is astounding. They had the number 2 pick 7 years ago and ended up with Evan Turner whom they traded for Danny Granger's corpse. The corpse was duly bought out a week after the trade. They had a rookie of the year in MCW and they traded him half a season later. They dumped Noel, who was a 6th pick of the draft only 3 years ago. They're screwing up Okafor as we speak. I highly doubt their win total cracks 30 this year.
Biff