What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

How are we not trying to win now? Conley absolutely moves the needle to where opposing defenses actually have to defend the PG position and respect his shot making ability. Other than Conley's high salary your entire take is hot garbage.

His high salary/old age/length of contract/possible cost of additional assets. C’mon man take off the blinders!

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

I don't understand why we aren't going after Kevin Durrant and Glannis. I mean it just seems like we sit on our hands every year. The goal is to win a championship, these are championship type players. I'd want to hold on to Rudy, Spida, Jingles, and Exum of course. How many second round picks do you think it would take to get this done? I'm tired of mediocrity!!!

Can Conley help us get better? Yes. But by how much is the question. Portland has already shown us the ceiling of two 6‘1” small guards paring in the backcourt during last year‘s playoff. To go further in the playoffs, what we need is a big guard who can cover the grounds for the lack of size in Mitchell. Conley is hell of a player and he can help the majority of the playoff teams win right now, but as for the Jazz and Mitchell, Jrue Holiday/Thomas Satoransky are the better fit in this case.

Portland is a team with its own set of problems, and the Lillard/McCollum backcourt isn't really one of them. It's that they don't have anyone else who can reliably create and knock down a shot.

If you want an example of a 'small' backcourt that seems to be working, try Kyrie Irving and Marcus Smart in Boston.

If the deal goes through I hope I have to put foot in mouth. I was so excited for the jazz to finally make a move. **** it. Maybe Conley can do the impossible and give the jazz their championship right?

So you think that the current team with a Conley trade can beat the rest of the west?

No, but it gets us closer. Any one single trade is unlikely to get us there. Unless is for AD, Giannis, Kawhi...and those aren’t happening.

So upgrade at PG. Then look at upgrading the 4. The combination of the two could put us right there with the Raptors and GS.

Guess what? Satoransky is a solid point guard who can also play the "long, two-way scoring wing”. He’s one of the many reasons Wiz turned their season around after yet another John Wall injury.

Is Satoransky a 20/8 guy though? I get that trading for Conley imposes an opportunity cost and restricts the other moves we can make, but if we add Conley, we're only one more move away from being elite.

No, but it gets us closer. Any one single trade is unlikely to get us there. Unless is for AD, Giannis, Kawhi...and those aren’t happening.

So upgrade at PG. Then look at upgrading the 4. The combination of the two could put us right there with the Raptors and GS.

Fair enough. I just am not sure that the stretch 4 we want is going to be attainable with a mid level and the way things are looking this trade for conley is going to push until 12:59 pm MST

Because they can't be competitive as presently constructed and both Conley and Gasol no longer fit their window. Seems obvious.

It was a rhetorical question.

They are trading him because they realize they cant build around a player who is way overpaid.

So you think that the current team with a Conley trade can beat the rest of the west?

Possibly. I don't think a lot of people realize how close the Jazz were to winning the west last year.

Look, NO move the Jazz can logically hope to make will definitively make them a better team than the Warriors. None. Nada.

Not Jrue Holiday.
Not Tobias Harris.
Not Jabari Parker.
Not Aaron Gordon.
Not Nikola Mirotic.
Not Lou Williams.
Not Zach Lavine.
Not anyone we have discussed as a logical possibility.

Unless there is a miracle situation where we could land a KD, AD, LeBron, Butler, PG13... like an All NBA level talent, we aren't going to move the needle as much as everyone on Jazzfanz would love.

So you're asking the wrong question. The question isn't "Does Conley make us the best in the west?", it's "Is Conley the best option out of the realistic possibilities in this moment?". The answer is debatable in my opinion. I understand both sides of the argument. If the Jazz make the trade I understand it. I do think it would make us better.

Fair enough. I just am not sure that the stretch 4 we want is going to be attainable with a mid level and the way things are looking this trade for conley is going to push until 12:59 pm MST

Oh there is some risk to be sure. But that holds true for any move we make that moves the needle at this point.

Just hope they make good bets.