What's new

2019 Trade Deadline Discussion

Mike Conley is not the answer (not for $100 million, and not with DM's need to have the ball in his hands to maximize his contribution).

Ricky Rubio is definitely, definitely not the answer. I want tonight to be his last as a Jazz man.

Exum is still unproven and constantly injured.

We need to move Donovan Mitchell to point guard full-time and focus our efforts elsewhere. If I'm Lindsey I do nothing right now (unless it's an obvious upgrade) and focus on 2019 FA.

I'd take Mirotic for a first rounder but worried that he's a 30 game rental without a contract for the future.

This is why tanking should be very attractive for small market teams. Both free agency and trade options are a joke! Why would we give up value for player who doesn't want to be here(when they are tied to long-term contract)? Why would we give competitive offers for players that are likely to be gone once their contract is up(for short term contract)?

This is one of the biggest competitive disadvantages in the league for small market teams. There are 3 ways to attract premier talent in the league - draft, free agency and trades. Two of them are rendered obsolete or losing for small market teams. Practically the only way you can rely on is the draft...

One other thing:

If the Jazz trade Rubio and Exum for Conley, what is everyone so scared of regarding depth? The Jazz would be off their two PGs that can't shoot, would have reason to slot Mitchell there (where I strongly feel he needs to play at least some minutes), and still have Neto and Allen (why draft him if you can't play him?). You could also conceivably keep Favors (which for all of my complaints, is at least a serious luxury as the backup 5).

I'd take Mirotic for a first rounder but worried that he's a 30 game rental without a contract for the future.
Unless we're bringing Favors back, we have a spot at the starting 4 that features him. Not sure who outbids that.

This is why tanking should be very attractive for small market teams. Both free agency and trade options are a joke! Why would we give up value for player who doesn't want to be here(when they are tied to long-term contract)? Why would we give competitive offers for players that are likely to be gone once their contract is up(for short term contract)?

This is one of the biggest competitive disadvantages in the league for small market teams. There are 3 ways to attract premier talent in the league - draft, free agency and trades. Two of them are rendered obsolete or losing for small market teams. Practically the only way you can rely on is the draft...
Which is why trading a 1st for Mirotic is insane.

I'd much rather have Rubio than Lowry given their ages, salaries, and skill sets.

Yeah, people just need to be patient. Lowry or Conley take us out of 2019 FA altogether. Neither is a good long-term solution. Nor is Ricky. Jazz FO should stand pat now that they missed out on T Harris.

I'm thinking if the Jazz land Conley for Rubio + Favors, then they're planning on giving up a 1st for Mirotic. Find it hard to believe the Jazz roll with Crowder as our only PF.

I'd hate it, but I think that might be the plan.

I dont think Conley distaste for Utah is market. I think it's he just wants an easier path for his career (playoffs and all-star) in the East.

I'm thinking if the Jazz land Conley for Rubio + Favors, then they're planning on giving up a 1st for Mirotic. Find it hard to believe the Jazz roll with Crowder as our only PF.

I'd hate it, but I think that might be the plan.
I'm fine with that, but you think they'd send out two first rounders?

The reason I'm specious about Jabari is that he's on a $20M contract, he's had serious injuries, he doesn't play much defense, and he's been an inefficient offensive player. I don't care that he's Mormon.
He's also on an expiring contract.

If you can get him with Exum, that is an absolute home-run.

I know for a fact Utah wanted to sign Lowry the year they traded for Rubio, but they wanted a PG in place in time for the Hayward meeting. Lowry said Utah would be in his top 2.

Yeah, people just need to be patient. Lowry or Conley take us out of 2019 FA altogether. Neither is a good long-term solution. Nor is Ricky. Jazz FO should stand pat now that they missed out on T Harris.

Not the worst idea in the world tbh. Besides Tobias, who do you go after? I'd assume they'd throw a big offer sheet at Rozier or something like that.

Do it. How often do first rounders turn out better than mirotic! You know what you are getting. Now is the time with Rudy and dm in their prime

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X103F using Tapatalk
For 30 games?

If the Jazz do nothing at the deadline, they'll have space to sign him. And I'm not even a FRP fetishist. However, they are very valuable, even if just an asset on the market.