What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

Basically. I think we end up 1 million or so over the tax. The final numbers on JC and Favs deals aren’t known but Jordan almost has to start at 11.6 and it’s assumed Favs got full MLE.
**** me dead. Unbelievable if this is how it plays out.

If so, every JFCer who rushed to the conclusion that all of these moves were a signal that the ownership was preparing itself a longer runway before the repeater clock started ticking has got to feel like an absolute fool. A wistful fool.

Nah... we gonna roll with 13... be under the tax... say we want the two way guys to play because there is no g league season. I wouldn’t sign these guys if it means being over the tax.
Can you guess what the excuse will be and narrative sent to Utah media? I bet they are going to say that it's because of COVID-19... so they would have fewer people and less of a risk to the team. Just wait for it...

There was another report I read that said that this was VERY likely to have been drummed up by Robinsons agent due to the variety of teams interested and the article saying that they "could" be interested.

Batum makes sense to go into the tax for. Glenn Robinson does not.

If we end up in the tax, I'll agree that the moves have been shortsighted and poorly planned in a bid to save too small a bit of money. But, as you say, we don't know this for sure yet. If we make it below the tax, I'll understand (and probably agree with) the motivation.

Unfortunately, we won't know where this stands until several months from now. Until then, I don't think it's worth the energy to get that worked up, but that's just my viewpoint.
I’m with you.

While I hate a lot of the moves this offseason, I can see a pathway to rolling with them. But if we remain over the tax line, those pathways will vanish.

If we end up in the tax, I'll agree that the moves have been shortsighted and poorly planned in a bid to save too small a bit of money. But, as you say, we don't know this for sure yet. If we make it below the tax, I'll understand (and probably agree with) the motivation.

Unfortunately, we won't know where this stands until several months from now. Until then, I don't think it's worth the energy to get that worked up, but that's just my viewpoint.
That’s fine. I just think our management is less competent than others give them credit for. If there is a bigger deal that drops us below the tax the. These small ones are still kinda weird. Why give away those nickels when you were planning to sell the Tesla anyway.

Like if your tax accountant had you sell stocks.. and make a bunch of other moves to avoid a bad penalty now and in the future... and at the end you missed the mark by a small margin... would you be like “hey great job it could have been worse”. Or “hey ******* we had like 5 opportunities to avoid this and you messed up the math by enough that we are stick.”

You wouldn’t be singing homeboys praises and you’d likely be looking for another accountant.

And GMs mess this stuff up... it is conceivable that our guys are poor planners. Milwaukee’s front office not only botched the Bogdon deal but had to give Pat Connaughton a bigger contract because they screwed up the numbers and offered him something they couldn’t.

Can you guess what the excuse will be and narrative sent to Utah media? I bet they are going to say that it's because of COVID-19... so they would have fewer people and less of a risk to the team. Just wait for it...
It will also be we believe in these guys... and other altruistic things like... we tried but nothing good turned up will be the backup excuse.

Jesus Christo.

The pièce de rèsistance for this offseason (and last offseason, which has proven to be a total disaster) will be a botched Rudy extension.

This bad planning thing has been going on for over a year. Remember how we had to let Neto go so we could sign Davis, Green, and NWG?

Jesus Christo.

The pièce de rèsistance for this offseason (and last offseason, which has proven to be a total disaster) will be a botched Rudy extension.
A supermax with player options on every year...

We could have saved $5M on OPJ. We could have saved 80% of the Favors money while getting 85% of the benefit. We tend to spend real big in unnecessary areas that give us significantly diminishing returns, while trying to nickel and dime other areas that will give us much more traction.

The most frustrating part of this is how it gets sold as not being bad moves because you can look at things dichotomously as being good/bad, rather than looking at the whole picture. You could go buy a new Tesla, and it’s a good car, but it may have blown your budget. To top it off you’re really only using it as a commuter car. You like going out to eat with your buddies at lunch but have to cut back on that because, well, Tesla. You could have bought your neighbor’s Corolla and eaten out every day. But, dude, it’s a Tesla!!1
Btw this reminds me so much of how my brother in law does his finances. He comes up with the most elaborate and expensive ways to address problems and then wonders why he’s always broke... especially because he got such great financing terms at the time.

If there is a any resemblance between how my brother in law runs his finances and how this front office operates that is a very bad thing. This is headed to a bad place.

Btw this reminds me so much of how my brother in law does his finances. He comes up with the most elaborate and expensive ways to address problems and then wonders why he’s always broke... especially because he got such great financing terms at the time.

If there is a any resemblance between how my brother in law runs his finances and how this front office operates that is a very bad thing. This is headed to a bad place.
Is Seattle a bad place?

Or, the other side of the coin, a financially conservative offer that drives a wedge between Rudy and the org.
Hey Rudy... look we been overpaying everyone and giving up picks to save money... player options are like ****ing Tic Tacs... we will give you a 4 year deal at 25M per but need a team option. Again... with all the money we been spending we need to get a bit back here. Sound good?

True story... one time my brother in law was driving from NorCal to Utah and the car DVD player stopped working. Rather than getting an iPad or just telling his kids to toughen up that fool stops in Reno to find the only stereo place open on Sunday that can install a new DVD player... the cost was like 1.5 times what an iPad would be and it took like 4-5 hours in Reno... when asked wtf he was thinking he had all sorts of excuses why the more rational options wouldn’t possibly work. He’s dumb... I hope we aren’t dumb.

True story... one time my brother in law was driving from NorCal to Utah and the car DVD player stopped working. Rather than getting an iPad or just telling his kids to toughen up that fool stops in Reno to find the only stereo place open on Sunday that can install a new DVD player... the cost was like 1.5 times what an iPad would be and it took like 4-5 hours in Reno... when asked wtf he was thinking he had all sorts of excuses why the more rational options wouldn’t possibly work. He’s dumb... I hope we aren’t dumb.
It’s going to take a lot of second-round picks to address the TV addiction of his kids. Hopefully he has a few stockpiled.

It’s going to take a lot of second-round picks to address the TV addiction of his kids. Hopefully he has a few stockpiled.
He’s gonna need to stack firsts like OKC brotha. Those kids did not win the genetic lotto. So far they are okay...

Niang gonna be better this year. Being surrounded by Favors, Joe, and Hughes/Oni will be a major upgrade over Bradley & Co.
He's still worse than a sieve on D. What's worse than a sieve? Nothing? He's nothing on D.