What's new

2020 Free Agency Thread

When do we start making a big deal out of the LACK of an extension for Rudy?
Saturday. They could extend during the season too. But if they don’t get it done by the weekend it means there are sticking points that they aren’t getting past easily.

When The Jazz go out and burn their only first (for the next two years) and the full MLE on two non-shooting bigs.

I really think that **** said a lot.
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we have our first round pick in 2021 unless it lands between 8 and 14 or something like that.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we have our first round pick in 2021 unless it lands between 8 and 14 or something like that.
I stand corrected, I thought the pick protections lifted next year. So it’s now only that the Jazz will continue to be unable to trade a first for the next two years.

It’s petty as hell but if I was DL I am calling Kupchek in Charlotte and reminding him that Danny ****ed us on the Hayward sign and trade when we were quite vulnerable he was completely unwilling to work with us. I’d remind him he would do the same to them and that he’s likely paused off half the league at one point or another... if they don’t get a first round for executing the sign and trade sticking it to Danny would win them some more friends throughout the league.

Dear Charlotte either get something solid or bend Danny over... don’t do it for a lame *** second or cash considerations.

That’s where my head is at.

****, man.
I think they likely extend him... I don’t think the pick matters in this math. If they end up trading him I’d be shocked. They will have certainly kept it quiet... the message they have sent all offseason is that they are running it back and Rudy is a huge part of that obvi.

I think they likely extend him... I don’t think the pick matters in this math. If they end up trading him I’d be shocked. They will have certainly kept it quiet... the message they have sent all offseason is that they are running it back and Rudy is a huge part of that obvi.
I love Rudy.

That’s all.

just so we can make Azubuike our next Rudy, play that same old drop big defensive scheme, then bound for early playoff exits the next ten years?

Collins average 20+10, shoots 40% from deep and protects the paint with 1.6 blocks a game, every skill you'd desire in a modern day big, Collins has it. When everyone is crying for positional/strategical flexibility, you'd just prefer us to stand pat and expect everyone else to catch up with you back to the 90's?
Just so it's out there: the Hawks SB Nation site was discussing Collins's situation a few days back. They thought he could possibly be on the move (not necessarily right away, or not with a particular target in mind). But a strong part of the reason they thought the Hawks might be willing to move on (aside from not getting enough bang for the buck with his likely extension) is Collins's lack of positional flexibility. He's a 4 (and a poor defending one at that). If you're asking him to play the 5, you're bleeding points, perhaps worse than we did with Bradley.

I love Rudy.

That’s all.
Me too. I think the draft is just a bonehead weird move. Like they had him as BPA and haven’t really figured out that BPA isn’t great if you pick a one position player and you have that one position covered.

Just so it's out there: the Hawks SB Nation site was discussing Collins's situation a few days back. They thought he could possibly be on the move (not necessarily right away, or not with a particular target in mind). But a strong part of the reason they thought the Hawks might be willing to move on (aside from not getting enough bang for the buck with his likely extension) is Collins's lack of positional flexibility. He's a 4 (and a poor defending one at that). If you're asking him to play the 5, you're bleeding points, perhaps worse than we did with Bradley.
I think he wants a max extension and that is the big sticking point. Offensively as a roll man and as a shooter he’s pretty great. On defense he’s a man without a position. You would want a rim protector or a rim protector that can shoot along side him... so the fit is hard unless you have a unicorn. Mix him with Trae and you’ll never have a competent defense.

I would only get him if you could get him cheap... so like a first... and he’s not getting an extension. I’d make him play it out and see how he works in a winning environment.

You would want a rim protector or a rim protector that can shoot along side him...

I would only get him if you could get him cheap... so like a first... and he’s not getting an extension. I’d make him play it out and see how he works in a winning environment.
Which makes him perfect for us. We are stacked with rim-protecting bigs but not much else

To be sure, I am not suggesting that the Jazz are trying to trade him, but no one can convince me that the Jazz spending the only* assets** they had on players that can’t (or shouldn’t) share the floor with him has no bearing on that situation. I view it as they are preparing that either the talks will just not work, or they sign him for too much money and move him when the incoming trade is right. In no case are they going to be left high and dry at the C position, nor will they lose him for nothing.

*or at least their best
** the ENTIRE MLE and their ONLY 1st. The former figures to function as a cap on spending for the next three years (assuming Gobert is here), and the latter has outsize importance since the ability of the Jazz to use upcoming picks is rather restricted. This is saying nothing of that Bojan and Joe are gonna fall off in the coming years and we don’t really have anything coming down the pipe that might cushion that blow.

I think he wants a max extension and that is the big sticking point. Offensively as a roll man and as a shooter he’s pretty great. On defense he’s a man without a position. You would want a rim protector or a rim protector that can shoot along side him... so the fit is hard unless you have a unicorn. Mix him with Trae and you’ll never have a competent defense.

The conversation on the price is centered on Gobert for Collins. Honestly, that doesn’t offend me as a Jazz fan or my sensibilities (it actually makes sense for the Hawks too).

And Collins on a first max should work with our cap situation where Rudy above a 2nd max would be a big issue moving forward.

The conversation on the price is centered on Gobert for Collins. Honestly, that doesn’t offend me as a Jazz fan or my sensibilities (it actually makes sense for the Hawks too).

And Collins on a first max should work with our cap situation where Rudy above a 2nd max would be a big issue moving forward.

As much as I love Rudy, Collins would bring a ton of excitement to our game. His numbers in the second half of last season are gaudy. Rudy and Don will never be 100% happy together, the soup is spoiled.

As much as I love Rudy, Collins would bring a ton of excitement to our game. His numbers in the second half of last season are gaudy. Rudy and Don will never be 100% happy together, the soup is spoiled.

If the Hawks did a deal like this, they'd want us to take Capella to get him off their roster. Atlanta likes Gobert, for sure, but they also just drafted Okongwu.

Me too. I think the draft is just a bonehead weird move. Like they had him as BPA and haven’t really figured out that BPA isn’t great if you pick a one position player and you have that one position covered.

I agree that Rudy is coming back. But I really like the draft move.