What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

It’s obviously an outlier. And I haven’t spent more than four seconds thinking about it so I’m sure there are more than just three.
My original point is that it's rare for a player to be so far down the roster and get this much draft hype. It must be because he is talented. Anybody bashing him due to numbers might need to pump the breaks.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Some rumors from Chad Ford if you click into the Twitter thread. Gotta pay/subscribe to read his article though...

My original point is that it's rare for a player to be so far down the roster and get this much draft hype. It must be because he is talented. Anybody bashing him due to numbers might need to pump the breaks.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Primo is interesting. His length and functional athleticism stand out. He's also young enough that he could grow another inch or two, which would make him legit wing size. I'd like to see some more assists and steals, but Josh Christopher vs. Josh Primo would be an interesting debate.

Last edited:
Am I a dumbdumb for falling for Ziaire Williams? There are some mocks/big boards with him in our range, but I think he goes in the late teens. Measured over 6'8" without shoes, and is definitely going to ace all of his interviews.

Primo is interesting. His length and functional athleticism stand out. He's also young enough that he could grow another inch or two, which would make him legit wing size. I'd like to see some more assists and steals, but Josh Christopher vs. Josh Primo would be an interesting debate.
Its no debate. Christopher is head and shoulders the better prospect.

Its no debate. Christopher is head and shoulders the better prospect.

The argument for Primo is that he's younger and comes out better in some advanced stats. That said, Christopher's advanced stats may be effed up due to ASU being a mess, while Alabama was a top SEC team. Things like win shares and offensive rating can be skewed by team success, I think.

Tony Jones mentioned on the Checketts podcast today that we are holding a “big” workout tomorrow with a lot of names that are in play for the Jazz at No. 30. Said he’ll reveal the names in the Athletic.

Tony's article about the workout is up in The Athletic now.

Excerpt:
On Thursday, the Jazz will hold an important pre-draft workout, league sources tell The Athletic. The participants, according to sources, will include Quentin Grimes, a 6-foot-5 guard out of Houston, David Duke, a 6-5 point guard from Providence, and Matt Mitchell, a 6-6 small forward from San Diego State.

Grimes is someone the Jazz like at No. 30. Mitchell, according to sources, has had more than 10 workouts and is a riser up the boards who could find himself selected in the second round. With the rise of P.J. Tucker types throughout the league, Mitchell’s two-way skill set as an undersized power forward could land him a role in the league. Duke is an older prospect as well, was one of the best point guards in the Big East, and someone who has nice size and athleticism for a point guard.

The workout is important because the Jazz have wanted to get a close look at Grimes. Other candidates at No. 30 for the Jazz, according to sources, include Bones Hyland of VCU, Ayo Dosunmu from Illinois, Miles McBride out of West Virginia, Herb Jones from Alabama, Joel Ayayi from Gonzaga, Josh Primo from Alabama and Jared Butler from Baylor.

The Jazz also like some no-brainers, such as Chris Duarte from Oregon and Trey Murphy from Virginia, but they aren’t expected to fall to No. 30.

I still think we trade the pick but if we don't I think we should take someone like Thor that has a lot of upside but needs development. It's highly unlikely we'll get someone at 30 that's going to come in and get minutes on a team loaded with veterans that's trying to win a championship. Might as well draft some young and athletic talent to start developing for the future.

I don’t like Quentin Grimes at all.
Ayo and Jones are the only ones I’d consider to be a good pick on that list. Hyland is just okay. Everyone else is blechhh.

And Matt Mitchell? What is our fascination with da fatbodies? And we’re gonna entertain drafting a guy named David Duke with our rep on race issues?

I’d just trade the pick.

There really are a bunch of decent guards available in the late 1st and early 2nd. Makes sense we'd be looking at Ayo, Butler, Bones and Deuce.

Matt Mitchell attended the Utah/Minnesota Combine. He must have made a good impression there. Not sure what he can do that Jarrell Brantley can't. His college numbers don't show that much. Mitchell measured at 6'4.5" / 239-lb with a 6'8.5" wingspan at the G-league Combine. He recorded a 32.5" max vertical.

Last edited:
There really are a bunch of decent guards available in the late 1st and early 2nd. Makes sense we'd be looking at Ayo, Butler, Bones and Deuce.

Matt Mitchell attended the Utah/Minnesota Combine. He must have made a good impression there. Not sure what he can do that Jarrell Brantley can't. His college numbers don't show that much. Mitchell measured at 6'4.5" / 239-lb with a 6'8.5" wingspan at the G-league Combine. He recorded a 32.5" max vertical.
Just watched a few of his games. I kind of like him (not #30 like him, but like him in the sense that I could see a path toward him becoming an NBA player, maybe even a contributing role player if things break right).

• Body kind of in the PJ Tucker, Grant Williams mold
  • Compared to both of those two, his offensive game has more true wing skills, particularly ballhandling and shot creating. Might be able to create a few midrange shots for himself as a tertiary threat, for example, against switching defenses. He draws fouls well, though I wonder if that will translate to the NBA level
  • I think he knows how to play/feel the game on both ends (better than Brantley, for example). He makes some turnovers and will need to clean some of his skills up, but I think he's thinking the game at a decently high level
  • I really like his defense. Maybe not quite Herb Jones level. But he can really sit down in a stance and guard. His off-ball defense seemed to be smart overall. He's thick, but he can move laterally. He can certainly switch 2-4, and I think he'll hold his own on both PGs (with his quickness) and Cs (with his strength) for small bursts.
  • Like everyone else, he'll have to prove he can shoot, but I like his chances to be OK.
  • He's not a great rebounder.
  • I think he's fairly old
  • Basically, he does a lot of things well, but nothing on an elite level. Those kinds of guys can often be high-end role players or never catch on. I think he has a better chance making it in a system like the Jazz's than with many teams' systems.

Chad Ford in his recent tweet was saying Brandon Boston Jr. was rising the draft boards lately with strong workouts. Possibly going to the Lakers, Clippers or Rockets in the 1st rd. But truly though, I don't know anything about him except the fact that he's really raw and looked completely lost at the nba combine.

I love that the big workout includes 1 bubble first round guy. Somewhere Walt Perrin is laughing his *** off.

Grimes is fine… could be worse. Tony mentioned Butler… so I’m happy.

Jazz have been so secretive about workouts this year common sense says the workout they decide to actually tell the press about is most likely a smokescreen.

Jazz have been so secretive about workouts this year common sense says the workout they decide to actually tell the press about is most likely a smokescreen.
I don’t think they are having as many. I don’t think it’s a smokescreen at all… other teams don’t care who we have in for workouts… we are picking 30th.