What's new

2021 NBA Draft Preview (new thread)

Interesting mock with Todd at 30. Has Springer falling all the way to 29. Thor isnt mocked in the 1st.

There have been leaks here and there from individual players.
I haven't seen much... I think it was actually kind of rare how transparent things were in the past. I honestly miss it. I really enjoyed Walt talking after... something about the older guy who seems a little ornery on the surface but you know he's like one of the best dudes... he just had an interesting vibe.

So with Grimes... is he kinda Dhillon Brooksy? Or am I seeing the physical profile, jersey number, light skin and just making a terrible comparison?

I really like Grimes... The shooting is solid but his physical defense is something we lack. He blocks a lot of jumpers and gets great contests from what I see. If you combine our scheme/principles of bend but don't break with better individual defense (sticking to a guy and making an honest to goodness contest) that could be pretty good.

I haven't seen much... I think it was actually kind of rare how transparent things were in the past. I honestly miss it. I really enjoyed Walt talking after... something about the older guy who seems a little ornery on the surface but you know he's like one of the best dudes... he just had an interesting vibe.

So with Grimes... is he kinda Dhillon Brooksy? Or am I seeing the physical profile, jersey number, light skin and just making a terrible comparison?
I would say he's kind of KCP-Y.

The Ringer compared him to Middleton, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Josh Hart.

The latter of those three is the only one that makes sense to me.

This guy has reported more Jazz workouts than anyone.

I don’t like Quentin Grimes at all.
Ayo and Jones are the only ones I’d consider to be a good pick on that list. Hyland is just okay. Everyone else is blechhh.

And Matt Mitchell? What is our fascination with da fatbodies? And we’re gonna entertain drafting a guy named David Duke with our rep on race issues?

I’d just trade the pick.
I don't like him either, even after watching several highlight videos. But he's the kind of safe prospect the jazz seem to love. Prototypical size, moderately skilled, probably be ok for his entire career. But nearly zero upside. Floor and ceiling within one level. Safe safe safe. Won't do anything to move the needle in any way, shape, or form.

So unfortunately, this is definitely who they will pick.

Also at least a couple boards have him slated at 40 or later. So that's the guy.

Fml

KCP makes sense... he's more wiry than Brooks.

Would be very happy with Grimes at #30

Side note - I always love how optimistic comps are. I would like if they listed 1-2 comps that are guys that failed and are out of the league. Would love to see a few Wade Baldwins and John Jenkins thrown out there.

I don't like him either, even after watching several highlight videos. But he's the kind of safe prospect the jazz seem to love. Prototypical size, moderately skilled, probably be ok for his entire career. But nearly zero upside. Floor and ceiling within one level. Safe safe safe. Won't do anything to move the needle in any way, shape, or form.

So unfortunately, this is definitely who they will pick.

Also at least a couple boards have him slated at 40 or later. So that's the guy.

Fml
Grimes was a former top 5 HS recruit for what it's worth. Maybe there is some hidden potential there. I think he's a guy who could give you 30 on a random night just through hot shooting.

Grimes was a former top 5 HS recruit for what it's worth. Maybe there is some hidden potential there. I think he's a guy who could give you 30 on a random night just through hot shooting.
I love his back story... talented guy that struggles and fights through it. Really improved. I think work ethic and showing the ability to improve are under-rated skills. Those types tend to figure things out if they have the baseline talent.

I hope so because my bet is that's their pick. I still saw a couple boards with him at 40+, and the highlights I watched were underwhelming. A few great plays, lots of "why is this in a highlight video" kind of stuff. Granted I haven't dug very deep yet but right now he seems to be a moderate-floor/low-to-moderate-ceiling kind of guy. I wish we would swing for the fence on a physical freak with crazy upside even if his floor is likely quite a bit lower. If Thor is available at 30 and we take Grimes instead I'll be very disappointed. But not surprised.

If Grimes is a better version of Josh Hart that's a homerun.. if he's similar to Hart that's a win. We need a win.

I hope so because my bet is that's their pick. I still saw a couple boards with him at 40+, and the highlights I watched were underwhelming. A few great plays, lots of "why is this in a highlight video" kind of stuff. Granted I haven't dug very deep yet but right now he seems to be a moderate-floor/low-to-moderate-ceiling kind of guy. I wish we would swing for the fence on a physical freak with crazy upside even if his floor is likely quite a bit lower. If Thor is available at 30 and we take Grimes instead I'll be very disappointed. But not surprised.
I like Thor too but the deeper I dig on him the more I worry. The fact that his team was a lot better when he wasn't playing worries me. His highlights and physical profile are definitely more sexy. I'm fine with boring functional guys too though. A lot of times those are the guys that workout in our range.

Andy Larsen said he had a draft article coming out yesterday, but it got pushed to today.

I wonder if Utah had a workout yesterday that Larson thought he would have access to, but didnt, and Utah decided for this workout to be the one they let media access.

I like Grimes as well. He looks like a poor man's version of Devin Booker but with better perimeter defense. After watching his college highlights and draft workout at the nba combine, I wouldn't be upset if they get him at 30.