What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

100% agree! I think Cam Whitmore and Brandon Miller will be the next big time wing players in this league. I wonder what it would cost to trade up for either of them. Depending on price this actually might be the way to go rather than trading for a star because these guys will be on a rookie contract and controllable for at least what 7 years before they become unrestricted free agents

This is actually a really good point. Hopefully the lottery balls make it so we don't have to use any assets, but if they don't, I could see us trading up for sure.

If we feel like there is a guy that is worth trading up for, that could be how we use a lot of our assets. It's not cheap to go this route for the same reasons.

Let's just say Brandon Miller is the next Kawhi Leonard. To guarantee you get him your going to need the number 2 pick. Would the 9th and 16th this year plus the Cavs 2025, Wolves 2025 and Lakers 2027 be enough to move up? Would that be too much? Maybe. It's definitely a tough pill to swallow but if he becomes what you think he can be then it's worth it. That's a package we would expect to use for a star right?

The more I think about this the more I believe the Jazz will be looking to trade up in this draft rather than just sitting on their assets. If you look around the league there's a lot of risk trading for a star. Expectations rise and when teams fall short there pretty much married to the roster they have. Let's use the assets but use them to build through the draft and get our star there. If we hit in the draft we have the advantage in controllable years and low salary contracts

Let's just say Brandon Miller is the next Kawhi Leonard. To guarantee you get him your going to need the number 2 pick. Would the 9th and 16th this year plus the Cavs 2025, Wolves 2025 and Lakers 2027 be enough to move up? Would that be too much? Maybe. It's definitely a tough pill to swallow but if he becomes what you think he can be then it's worth it. That's a package we would expect to use for a star right?

The more I think about this the more I believe the Jazz will be looking to trade up in this draft rather than just sitting on their assets. If you look around the league there's a lot of risk trading for a star. Expectations rise and when teams fall short there pretty much married to the roster they have. Let's use the assets but use them to build through the draft and get our star there. If we hit in the draft we have the advantage in controllable years and low salary contracts

As much as I like Miller, I don't think I'd be comfortable giving up 5 first round picks for him. That's the kind of package you use for a player that's already an established star in the league.

As much as I like Miller, I don't think I'd be comfortable giving up 5 first round picks for him. That's the kind of package you use for a player that's already an established star in the league.
It's really a net loss of 4 picks because your getting back the number 2 pick which you will use on Brandon Miller. Also I tried to use most of the picks that probably have the lesser value out of all the assets minus the sixers pick which doesn't have much value at all.

Regardless I do agree it's a tough pill to swallow. But it's not like teams are going to trade us their gold for our garbage. Maybe we could get away with this trade without involving the Wolves 2025? I think that would make it a lot more tolerable. Just an idea. I hate to look back on this in a few years and see Miller be a top 5 player in the league and those picks just become role players and we were too afraid to pull the trigger

Good post. Should have just tanked properly and kept all our assets tbh.

I agree
May be too much for someone who may not be worth it
Even #1 picks are disappointing
Simmons, Williamson, etc

I agree
May be too much for someone who may not be worth it
Even #1 picks are disappointing
Simmons, Williamson, etc

I think this is how I've generally thought about the idea of trading up for a draft pick, but I'm rethinking this a little bit. Here is where my head is currently at:

- We are not going to use all of our draft picks on picking players, so what is the best use of them?
- Using the picks to acquire a star player typically means you are getting someone that is flawed, has less team control, takes up your cap space and typically depletes your depth.
- Using your picks to aquire a star is dependent on that star being available and also doesn't guarantee it will work out.
- Trading up for someone you really believe in the draft is a huge risk and isn't always possible, but if it works out then the upside is higher by having someone on a rookie contract with long term team control.

I think this is how I've generally thought about the idea of trading up for a draft pick, but I'm rethinking this a little bit. Here is where my head is currently at:

- We are not going to use all of our draft picks on picking players, so what is the best use of them?
- Using the picks to acquire a star player typically means you are getting someone that is flawed, has less team control, takes up your cap space and typically depletes your depth.
- Using your picks to aquire a star is dependent on that star being available and also doesn't guarantee it will work out.
- Trading up for someone you really believe in the draft is a huge risk and isn't always possible, but if it works out then the upside is higher by having someone on a rookie contract with long term team control.
I would be terrified to invest that many assets in an unproven player, but betting big and winning big on a prospect is kinda where the Jazz are at if they wanna find a superstar unless they get crazy lucky (some more).

The third choice is make shrewd moves for players that have already shown flashes or are otherwise distressed assets and treat draft picks as bites at the apple until a trade for a legit superstar shakes loose. You hit on those pieces and you have stuff to build with/around or trade for such a player.

I’m pretty high on targeting Murray and Reaves as the backcourt and it might cost 0-3 picks (tops).

I would be terrified to invest that many assets in an unproven player, but betting big and winning big on a prospect is kinda where the Jazz are at if they wanna find a superstar unless they get crazy lucky (some more).

The third choice is make shrewd moves for players that have already shown flashes or are otherwise distressed assets and treat draft picks as bites at the apple until a trade for a legit superstar shakes loose. You hit on those pieces and you have stuff to build with/around or trade for such a player.

I’m pretty high on targeting Murray and Reaves as the backcourt and it might cost 0-3 picks (tops).

Agreed. We also shouldn't be in a hurry to use our picks, but should use them in the best ways that the circumstances dictate. At some point though, certainly not now, we'll need to use them or they lose some value based on the league knowing we have to move some of them.

Agreed. We also shouldn't be in a hurry to use our picks, but should use them in the best ways that the circumstances dictate. At some point though, certainly not now, we'll need to use them or they lose some value based on the league knowing we have to move some of them.
Exactly. But picks years in the future help preserve their liquidity while opportunities to splurge incubate.

This would be a monumental mistake. As a 49er fan I’m having serious fandom remorse trading all those assets to jump from 12 to 3 to draft Trey Lance. That hasn’t worked well at all. And there’s a good chance we missed out drafting a stud or two because of it. You can’t risk trading that kind of haul for an unproven commodity. If Miller misses or just doesn’t live up to the value you pay to get him that sets the org back big time and could be the difference in making yourself a true contender. The hard truth is this team should’ve tanked proper. I 100% promise all the anti tankers secretly wish we would’ve lost more. Luckily for all of them me and god worked out a deal. He gets us Wemby, and I never bother him again.
It's really a net loss of 4 picks because you’re getting back the number 2 pick which you will use on Brandon Miller.
That’s all huh:rolleyes:
Regardless I do agree it's a tough pill to swallow.
It’s a poison pill if it we don’t get the best outcome possible. How often does that happen? You crazy man!!
Good post. Should have just tanked properly and kept all our assets tbh.
We getting Wemby relax.
Has the #9 pick ever received the #1 pick
Not sure it matters as I think this is the first year for this format in the draft lottery. The good news is we’re getting Wemby so it doesn’t matter

Plus, it feels like just about everytime I do the sim thing on tankathon.com a team outside top 3 gets the first pick. Lol

Bilal looks OK. Very passive, which is expected. Very athletic off the ball. His handle looks like trash to me which is the biggest separator between him and the Twins. Shot does not look good. Defense does look good.

Wemby looks incredible.

Who? Exum?
Bilal. Some people here have said things like that Bilal should be seen as on the same level as the twins. It's not close imo. The difference in handling ability is night/day.

But he does look like a solid role player at the French level at 18 which is nice. French League is just a really mediocre league that is dominated by small American guards who played for mid majors.

Bilal. Some people here have said things like that Bilal should be seen as on the same level as the twins. It's not close imo. The difference in handling ability is night/day.

But he does look like a solid role player at the French level at 18 which is nice. French League is just a really mediocre league that is dominated by small American guards who played for mid majors.
Yes I get that it’s about Bilal but it sounded very much like how you would describe Exum..