What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

Success in the playoffs ultimately comes down to one team having the most unstoppable offensive player. Jokic and Butler have been the most unstoppable players during 4th quarters in the playoffs. It's nice if there's a second guy who can become unstoppable for a stretch of the game (like Jamal Murray tonight), but it still comes down to the MVP making plays in the 4th quarter.

A team pretty much has to have a top MVP candidate to make deep runs. So then the question is, are there any players in this draft who can be top-5, All NBA, unstoppable offensive players?
Jimmy not a top 5 guy. There's multiple ways to create a great team. The superstar is the best, but you can't waste a decade spinning your wheels until you get one. Lauri is good enough. Build around him with quality and see where he can take you

How many teams actually get someone who performed like Lauri and flipped them a year later?

The only time guys who put up stats like that get traded early are if it's obviously bad team/good stats guys or they just have the worst vibes. It just doesn't seem to happen. That's why I don't even feel there is much fun discussing it because it feels so out of the question.

Danny Ainge isn't some bitch *** GM who has to push a plan of hope by being awful for 4 straight years so he can get 4 years of job security. I think the dude wants to be in title conversations within the next 2 years, 3 years maximum.

So that’s why I’ve always liked GG and Keyonte for #9 and #16.

They seem to have scorers mentality and with the right coaching could be special.

I mean look at what Hardy was able to do with Lauri.
Not sure that’s all on Hardy. He basically told Lauri to do what he did in euro league play where he was one of the top players.

It helps, but history has proven conclusively that it's not the only recipe for success.

Last 10 NBA Championship Teams' Best Player --
2023: Jokic
2022: Steph
2021: Giannis
2020: Davis
2019: Kawhi
2018: Durant
2017: Durant
2016: Lebron
2015: Steph
2014: Steph

Seems like a team has to have a transcendent player.

I wanted to draft Gradey Dick at 9 and Wallace with the Wolves pick but our bonehead move of helping the Wolves out means Wallace will almost certainly not be there with the Wolves pick.

There are a few guys I like at 9 but if none are there I'm not opposed to trading down or trading the 9 for some decent, proven player.

There are some nice guys in the range of the Wolves pick who I like such as Coulibaly, George, Bufkin and Rupert. If none of the guys I like are there at 9 then I would love to trade down and draft one of the French guys to stash and to draft one of the NBA-ready guys I mentioned but based on that I'm not sure we match with a team unless one of the picks they send us is from a future draft.

Maybe we'll get lucky, draft Gradey at 9 and could trade 15 to Brooklyn for 21 and 22.

I wanted to draft Gradey Dick at 9 and Wallace with the Wolves pick but our bonehead move of helping the Wolves out means Wallace will almost certainly not be there with the Wolves pick.

There are a few guys I like at 9 but if none are there I'm not opposed to trading down or trading the 9 for some decent, proven player.

There are some nice guys in the range of the Wolves pick who I like such as Coulibaly, George, Bufkin and Rupert. If none of the guys I like are there at 9 then I would love to trade down and draft one of the French guys to stash and to draft one of the NBA-ready guys I mentioned but based on that I'm not sure we match with a team unless one of the picks they send us is from a future draft.

Maybe we'll get lucky, draft Gradey at 9 and could trade 15 to Brooklyn for 21 and 22.

this is why I hated the trade. We helped the wolves and got little back. That pick IMO is 50% chance of being a second rounder. I would’ve rather just traded Conley to anyone else for 2-4 seconds. Having two lotto picks in this draft would’ve been huge.

As for the rest of your post. I still like where we are at. We will be able to choose between multiple players I like at both 9, and 16. For this reason I don’t want to see a trade unless it’s into the top 3 or for one of the twins

Edit: only want to trade for a twin if one falls a few spots.

this is why I hated the trade. We helped the wolves and got little back. That pick IMO is 50% chance of being a second rounder. I would’ve rather just traded Conley to anyone else for 2-4 seconds. Having two lotto picks in this draft would’ve been huge.

As for the rest of your post. I still like where we are at. We will be able to choose between multiple players I like at both 9, and 16. For this reason I don’t want to see a trade unless it’s into the top 3 or for one of the twins

Edit: only want to trade for a twin if one falls a few spots.
The gap in talent between #13 - #16 isn’t large enough to justify not grabbing the Lakers pick though.