What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

It does go back to the discussions around if a short(er) guard can be the #1 guy on a championship team. Seems most people believe he cannot. I think it is possible, but he has to be pretty damn special, and the supporting cast must be above average across the board. But history is not replete with 6'2" guards leading championship teams. There have been a few, most prominently Steph Curry and Isaiah Thomas. But that is a pretty big drought in between. And even they had top-tier talent around them. Curry plays with a perennial DPOY candidate and another elite defensive guard with length who holds the record for the most points ever scored in a 3rd quarter and can carry the load by himself when he must in Thompson. Is this guy on their level? And Steph wasn't even finals MVP even one time until last year, those others for GS were Iguodala and Durant.

So I am sure he will be a great piece to have, but will he be worth a #2 or even #1 pick with franchise player in mind? And if that is the case, what are the odds we luck into the same type of supporting cast, even a level or 2 below, that GS has had with Steph? That is the debate.
You take the best talent. The kind of mindset we are discussing would lead you to draft RJ Barrett over Ja Morant.

I really like Whitmore’s looks. I think that can matter. Dude is a good looking kid and looks the part and should be getting hot *** tail every night. That does wonders for confidence and mindset.
We will leave his mindset and confidence up to your daughter.

The Royce pick won't fetch Victor, but at the current pace, it's the 9th pick of the draft.
8th now, Nets lost again, and are actually the worst of the lot.

I can see the Nets just imploding, but unless they get injuries, I fear 76ers will figure things out eventually.

It's gonna be insane when the Jazz's own pick is not great because they make the playoffs, and the other two picks are the ones that turn out well.

8th now, Nets lost again, and are actually the worst of the lot.

I can see the Nets just imploding, but unless they get injuries, I fear 76ers will figure things out eventually.
At some point the nets and sixers will go in a hot streak. The only way either of those teams misses the playoffs is a significant injury to Embiid or Durant which is certainly possible. In the end I think the pick is somewhere around 20 which is a great deal for Royce.

I really like Whitmore’s looks. I think that can matter. Dude is a good looking kid and looks the part and should be getting hot *** tail every night. That does wonders for confidence and mindset.
Tell me about it.

Kentucky has a 6'-6" freshman combo guard Adoku Thiero that Coach Cal just compared to SGA. Who knows if he pans out but is another name to watch this coming season.

Kentucky signing non-top 100 guys?

Calipari becoming a bum?
Tough to say. I was living in SoCal a few years ago and he recruited a local kid that we all knew wasn't a high D1 type prospect. Of course he only last one season at Kentucky before he transferred out.