What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

We need to lock ourselves into that top 8. Then we have the draft capital to move up even higher if we fall in love with a player.
What are the odds of that though? I don't see it at all. Unless they just sell everyone at the deadline which doesn't seem possible at this point, I don't think the Jazz are even in the lottery unless they tank the play in game(s) they maybe end up in as a 7-10 seed this season in the playoff race meaning pick is 11-18 probably

Didn't take long for me to be reminded of how disgustingly awful NCAA basketball is. I don't understand why NCAA basketball has such terrible quality of play. In football, the coaching and tactics are often ahead of the pros. In college the style of play is archaic and just stinks.
spacing

Assuming they don't get super duper lucky with the lottery balls Ainge needs to find a way to add either Amen or Black to this roster with all his draft capital.

Finding an athletic big who is a threat to score is the 2nd biggest need for this team.

I'm not drafting anyone under 6'7 unless they somehow end up with the 2nd pick and even then I still might have an eye for Amen/Black in a small trade down similar to how Ainge acquired Tatum.

What are the odds of that though? I don't see it at all. Unless they just sell everyone at the deadline which doesn't seem possible at this point, I don't think the Jazz are even in the lottery unless they tank the play in game(s) they maybe end up in as a 7-10 seed this season in the playoff race meaning pick is 11-18 probably
Have you not looked at the standings? We are 1.5 games away from being the 11th seed in the west. Then the east is bunched just as much as the west after the bottom 3 with the heat and bulls currently at 11th and 12th in the east with no motivation to tank. I think this is the deepest the nba has ever been with quality teams so you won't have to be as bad as in years past to get that top 8 pick. Also I wouldn't put it past the magic and hornets to get on a roll in a few weeks when they get healthy. The hornets have been without Melo almost all year and he is hands down their best player. Then you have the magic who have been destroyed by injuries all year but are pretty close to getting a ton of guys back. Isaac, Banchero, Harris, Anthony and Fultz would actually be a solid starting lineup and they should all be back in the next few weeks.

Assuming they don't get super duper lucky with the lottery balls Ainge needs to find a way to add either Amen or Black to this roster with all his draft capital.

Finding an athletic big who is a threat to score is the 2nd biggest need for this team.

I'm not drafting anyone under 6'7 unless they somehow end up with the 2nd pick and even then I still might have an eye for Amen/Black in a small trade down similar to how Ainge acquired Tatum.
I would put nick smith in the under 6'7" category I would look long and hard at him. He is a legit 2-way player and those seem hard to find nowadays. Since he is not playing yet we seem to forget him.

Damnit, Black is a legit talent.

He's more explosive going to the rim than Josh Giddey, thankfully. Giddey's lack of burst drives me bat ****. Black would be a really smart pick for the Jazz. They'd always have someone who can run the team without giving up size and switching.

Last edited:
Have you not looked at the standings? We are 1.5 games away from being the 11th seed in the west. Then the east is bunched just as much as the west after the bottom 3 with the heat and bulls currently at 11th and 12th in the east with no motivation to tank. I think this is the deepest the nba has ever been with quality teams so you won't have to be as bad as in years past to get that top 8 pick. Also I wouldn't put it past the magic and hornets to get on a roll in a few weeks when they get healthy. The hornets have been without Melo almost all year and he is hands down their best player. Then you have the magic who have been destroyed by injuries all year but are pretty close to getting a ton of guys back. Isaac, Banchero, Harris, Anthony and Fultz would actually be a solid starting lineup and they should all be back in the next few weeks.
I don't pay attention to the numerous possibilites nearly that much. I prefer to focus on probability, even though I agree with some of what you are suggesting.
Jazz could easily tank if they want to sell off everyone responsible for this hot start to the season. I am guessing just more injuries might take them that direction somewhat, but imo the biggest issue now is some of their best offensive pieces are just not defending consistently. If they are not buyers soon I won't be surprised that much, but I am guessing its actually more likely they search for win now big then become draft capital sponges taking back bad deals or something.

Im loving the vids of this kid. When is he projected to be taken? Like 6-10 or so?

Hard to say. A couple of things working against him, depending on the team drafting: 1) he's young and raw--the potential is high, but it will take some time to polish, and 2) SC isn't a high-profile program--he's not going to get the attention of the guys at Duke or even Arkansas. I can't seem him falling out of the top 8-10. I personally would have him top 5 right now. I like Cam Whitmore and Jarace Walker, but I have GG slated above both of them.

Hard to say. A couple of things working against him, depending on the team drafting: 1) he's young and raw--the potential is high, but it will take some time to polish, and 2) SC isn't a high-profile program--he's not going to get the attention of the guys at Duke or even Arkansas. I can't seem him falling out of the top 8-10. I personally would have him top 5 right now. I like Cam Whitmore and Jarace Walker, but I have GG slated above both of them.
Sounds like we have a decent shot at him. Jazz might be a good landing spot for him as well. Good coaching and opportunity without much pressure.

I think the three point line being shorter and letting them use a zone really mucks everything up. Officials are also often trash… only allowing 5 fouls puts key guys in foul trouble so one bad call gets exaggerated a bit.

During the tournament I swear they play 90 seconds then go to tv timeout… it’s so flipping choppy.

I hate talking about officiating, but there's definitely a major problem in college basketball. When watching NBA prospects, you often notice that the opposing team will have a strategy of trying to foul them out by simply running into them. And it works, a lot.

The talent gap to the NBA is massive, but the same gap exists in football. In football, the coaches get more creative and create space in other ways. In basketball....it's the opposite and honestly gets worse the more talented a team is for some reason. The innovative coaches are usually from the non-blue blood programs and the instant they get hired for a bigger school they resort to 70's basketball.

The timeouts are also freaking ridiculous. They don't count a coaches timeout as a media timeout, so coaches will call at timeout at 8:01 left (or whatever it is), the next play will be a foul and then the media timeout will come. The coaches do this on purpose to muck it up I swear. I'm hoping one of the alternative routes (Australia/G-League Ignite) becomes more prominent because NCAA basketball is just a different sport than NBA basketball at this point.

Brandon Miller with a huge 4/21 stinker today.

The most underwhelming team so far prospect wise has been Duke.