What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

He was healthy enough to play and he still had the occasional good game. I'm sure he was hampered, but he still shot terribly. I don't think him being a good NBA shooter is written in stone is all I'm saying.

He had a 4 game stretch where he couldn't make anything. I'm not sure if that's when he was hurt or not, or what was going on. Without that stretch he would have shot 42% from the 3. You could probably do that for a lot of guys, so I'm definitely not saying he's a 42% 3pt shooter, but just goes to show how little it takes to tank your college shooting percentages.

He has had multiple games of 5+ 3's made, which makes me think he could be pretty good. I think his shot looks good, but his FT% maybe is indicating that he might just be average. Although FT% isn't exactly a perfect indicator.

I think he will be good, but would agree it's not a given. I think at worst he's a guy you have to guard on the perimeter.

He had a 4 game stretch where he couldn't make anything. I'm not sure if that's when he was hurt or not, or what was going on. Without that stretch he would have shot 42% from the 3. You could probably do that for a lot of guys, so I'm definitely not saying he's a 42% 3pt shooter, but just goes to show how little it takes to tank your college shooting percentages.

He has had multiple games of 5+ 3's made, which makes me think he could be pretty good. I think his shot looks good, but his FT% maybe is indicating that he might just be average. Although FT% isn't exactly a perfect indicator.

I think he will be good, but would agree it's not a given. I think at worst he's a guy you have to guard on the perimeter.
Mid range percentage is like 59% iirc which is a good indicator.

Only functional though compared to Blacks elite size at the 1 …

What? I sincerely don't know what you are trying to say here.

What I meant by functionally athletic is the indicators like stocks, rim finishing, etc. show he's one of the most functionally athletic guys in the draft. He also took some of the toughest shots of the draft class and made a good percentage of them. Or you can just watch him play and see how he guards the other team's best player 1-3 and know he's got good functional size and athleticism.

What? I sincerely don't know what you are trying to say here.

What I meant by functionally athletic is the indicators like stocks, rim finishing, etc. show he's one of the most functionally athletic guys in the draft. He also took some of the toughest shots of the draft class and made a good percentage of them. Or you can just watch him play and see how he guards the other team's best player 1-3 and know he's got good functional size and athleticism.
Early in the season watching a game he had a burst of activity that he did like 5-6 things in a 90 second span that I was like... oh ****. Kinda like some of the stints Jimmy has where he gets a steal... hits a shot... gets a contested rebound... tips a pass. I think he is athletic and smart. Then he would have long stretches where he is kind of invisible.

I like those three guys (wallace/Bufkin/Black) a lot. With JHS I'm not a big fan... but I can see why some are... you have to squint a little and assume some things change.

I have to admit, and this is not a comp, that the way JHS gets his shot off on the elbows reminds me a lot of the way Chris Paul does it. (Not a comp just an observation)
Yup, he has a lot of control and pace to his game, then you add in he's nearly pushing 6'6 in shoes with a high release and the ability to shoot off the dribble, he's potentially a very dangerous offensive player.

Btw No Ceilings has a film interview with Hendricks that came out today. I really like these interviews they do, probably the best insight you will get into personality/mindset for these dudes. Was what turned me on to Dillon Jones because he really stood out from a IQ perspective
Do not listen to this unless you want to fall in love with Hendricks. Personality wise Taylor seems as coachable as any player in the draft. Seems to be very genuine and about all the right things.

Ayy some JHS talk! He was one of those guys that I watch once and he becomes one of my guys lol. I didn’t find out about how bad his advanced stats are until later on. So I feel a bit conflicted about him since I so value the advanced stats. But I think he’s a better athlete, at least functionally, than people give him credit for. He can rise up and shoot over just about anyone guarding him. I think he settled for floaters and midrange pull-ups because the paint was so clogged on his team.

Seems like a super intelligent player, great feel for the game, great positional size, and I just believe in his outside shooting more than the percentages say. I guess he’s just an eye test guy lol

Some trades in that top 10 range of the draft from the last 10 years(there aren't many of them):

2019:
- 4+57+Solomon Thomas + conditional 2nd for 8+17+35
- 6 for 11+Dario Saric (do we have a Dario Saric type who some team might want?)

2018:
- 3 for 5(Doncic for Trae trade)+top 5 protected 2019 1st round pick
- 10 for 16 + unprotected 2021 1st round pick(Miami pick)

2017:
- 1 for 3(Fultz for Tatum trade) + 2018 Lakers 1st round pick(if it's 2-5) or else Sacramento 1st 2019
- 7(Lauri Markkanen), Kris Dunn, Zach Lavine for 16+Jimmy Butler

2016:
-8 for 13+28+future 2nd + right to Bogdan Bogdanovic(this was before Bogdanovic was in the NBA)

2013:
- 6 + future protected 1st for Jrue Holiday + 42
- 9 for 14+21 (Trey Burke trade)

Ayy some JHS talk! He was one of those guys that I watch once and he becomes one of my guys lol. I didn’t find out about how bad his advanced stats are until later on. So I feel a bit conflicted about him since I so value the advanced stats. But I think he’s a better athlete, at least functionally, than people give him credit for. He can rise up and shoot over just about anyone guarding him. I think he settled for floaters and midrange pull-ups because the paint was so clogged on his team.

Seems like a super intelligent player, great feel for the game, great positional size, and I just believe in his outside shooting more than the percentages say. I guess he’s just an eye test guy lol
He's one of those guys who will have to figure out how to get to the basket and finish. He doesnt have great burst, but he is good at changing pace. It will take some time, but he has the size to where it isnt' some long-shot prayer.

Yup, he has a lot of control and pace to his game, then you add in he's nearly pushing 6'6 in shoes with a high release and the ability to shoot off the dribble, he's potentially a very dangerous offensive player.
Looking at those highlights... I still would like him to go to the rim in some of those situations rather than pull up from midrange. But overall I agree... he looks polished offensively. Quite possibly the most polished player that doesn't seem considered in the top 10.

He's one of those guys who will have to figure out how to get to the basket and finish. He doesnt have great burst, but he is good at changing pace. It will take some time, but he has the size to where it isnt' some long-shot prayer.
I think this and turning most of the mid range shots into 3s... and making them at a 35-40% rate.

He kinda reminds me of Jamal Murray when I watch the highlights with all the DHO shots he takes... but so many are twos and he didn't make them at Murray levels.

I dont know much about Black, but people keep saying his size is elite for a PG and I dont get it.

6'7 used to be too tall since most tall PGs had huge ball security issues vs NBA guards. How is it all of a sudden "elite"?

I know Luka is tall and Magic was even taller way back.. but arent those guys more like exceptions who also have exceptional talent?

I dont know much about Black, but people keep saying his size is elite for a PG and I dont get it.

6'7 used to be too tall since most tall PGs had huge ball security issues vs NBA guards. How is it all of a sudden "elite"?

I know Luka is tall and Magic was even taller way back.. but arent those guys more like exceptions who also have exceptional talent?
lamelo ball is 6'7". he has elite size for a PG, right? Giddey is also 6'7" would you say he has elite size for a PG?

lamelo ball is 6'7". he has elite size for a PG, right? Giddey is also 6'7" would you say he has elite size for a PG?
How are they proof that 6'7 is elite PG size, when neither one is a top tier player?

Im just asking. I dont know when PG standard was changed. The mark used to be 6'3 to 6'5 and more or less was considered a disadvantage.

How are they proof that 6'7 is elite PG size, when neither one is a top tier player?

Im just asking. I dont know when PG standard was changed. The mark used to be 6'3 to 6'5 and more or less was considered a disadvantage.

elite size is the key phrase, not elite player.