What's new

2023 NBA Draft Megathread

I think he goes anywhere from 6-8. Houston at 4 is a dark horse but that might be pushing it.

Detroit has Cade and Ivey who need the ball already.
Orlando has Fultz, Wagner and Paolo who need the ball. They want shooting on the wing.
Indiana has Haliburton and reportedly wants a big wing (e.g., Whitmore, Hendricks, Walker).
Washington may have just given a promise to Cason Wallace.
Utah, who knows....

If we mash up some of these rumors, then the draft would go like this:

1 SAS - Wemby
2 CHA - Scoot/Miller
3 POR - Miller/Scoot
4 HOU - Amen
5 DET - Cam
6 ORL - Hendricks
7 IND - Walker
8 WAS - Wallace
Then yeah, the Jazz could draft Ausar at #9. But let's play along with the gossip and say the Jazz take Bilal instead...

9 UTA - Coulibaly
10 DAL - Ausar
11 ORL - Dick
12 OKC - George (btw, I think this is who they're targeting. They want shooting and shot creation. Hawkins is another possibility.)
13 TOR - Black
14 NOL - Lively (They don't have a big who can guard on the perimeter, and they need to contend with Wembanyama.)
15 ATL - Bufkin/JHS/NSJ/Miller 2
16 UTA - One of JHS, Bufkin or George should still be available. Nick Smith Jr. too.

Jazz could probably package 16 + 28 to leapfrog ATL if they need to. So the logic of drafting a wing at 9 and a guard at 16 does make some sense.
Bilal/JHS would be an elite draft

I think Wallace having an injury is more likely than either:
  • Atlanta decided not to have the workout because it has a trade lined up
  • Washington making a promise to him at 8

Why would DAL take Black when the have Luka?
Because you need multiple ball handlers and he can play defense. Also would be the BPA. Having Black push the ball a bit and setup some of the actions could help Luka conserve energy. If they don’t trade the pick they need to take BPA as that will be the best asset to move later. I think that pick has a 70% chance of moving on draft night though.

If we mash up some of these rumors, then the draft would go like this:

1 SAS - Wemby
2 CHA - Scoot/Miller
3 POR - Miller/Scoot
4 HOU - Amen
5 DET - Cam
6 ORL - Hendricks
7 IND - Walker
8 WAS - Wallace
Then yeah, the Jazz could draft Ausar at #9. But let's play along with the gossip and say the Jazz take Bilal instead...

9 UTA - Coulibaly
10 DAL - Ausar
11 ORL - Dick
12 OKC - George (btw, I think this is who they're targeting. They want shooting and shot creation. Hawkins is another possibility.)
13 TOR - Black
14 NOL - Lively (They don't have a big who can guard on the perimeter, and they need to contend with Wembanyama.)
15 ATL - Bufkin/JHS/NSJ/Miller 2
16 UTA - One of JHS, Bufkin or George should still be available. Nick Smith Jr. too.

Jazz could probably package 16 + 28 to leapfrog ATL if they need to. So the logic of drafting a wing at 9 and a guard at 16 does make some sense.
If it went like this, then we need to take Ausar at 9 and either Bufkin or Leonard Miller at 16

If it went like this, then we need to take Ausar at 9 and either Bufkin or Leonard Miller at 16

The rumor from Rafael Barlowe was that the Jazz could draft Coulibaly at #9 and still find a point guard at #16, which is true. Of course, the Jazz could take someone else at #9.

Do we not like George or we just figure he slots out somewhere between our two picks? I kinda like George. . .

I like George. He may never really transition to a point guard (see Brad Beal), but he's a gunner who can create shots and make some of them. Jazz need to decide what kind of guard they want to bring in.