What's new

2023 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

IMG_5256.png

I don't know why, but this made me laugh.

"Well we sucked anyways, so whatever"

For the regular season the warriors were 33-8 at home and 11-30 on the road. Idk if that is some kind of record for difference in home vs road perfomance but that is a problem.
That's insane when you think about it. I can't remember ever seeing such a discrepancy. Therefore it must be the worst ever.

Monty Williams out as PHX head coach. Lol terrible move.
Yeah, that and the Durant move are probably what makes them regress for a decade. No picks, nearly capped, and now forced for trade two huge contracts with some baggage AND replace a 2x COTY? They're writing the book of "How To **** Barbed Wire Without Protection and Like It". And that's why I don't like Superstar trades, particularly where huge egos are involved. Soon to be Brooklyn Nets West.

Yeah, that and the Durant move are probably what makes them regress for a decade. No picks, nearly capped, and now forced for trade two huge contracts with some baggage AND replace a 2x COTY? They're writing the book of "How To **** Barbed Wire Without Protection and Like It". And that's why I don't like Superstar trades, particularly where huge egos are involved. Soon to be Brooklyn Nets West.
They can turn around and trade Durant to recoup those picks though if they think their window has closed.. they got him relatively cheaply cos Nets didn't even shop him properly.

They can turn around and trade Durant to recoup those picks though if they think their window has closed.. they got him relatively cheaply cos Nets didn't even shop him properly.
Ironically, they really could’ve used the depth and athleticism that Bridges and Johnson would’ve provided them. Especially now that Bridges is becoming a star in his own right.

Also don’t forget the biggest blemish.. The Decision.
Good point. That was his biggest blemish. The dunk contest really doesn't matter but man it would have been awesome to see a 25 ish year old lebron in one

You don't think Durant looking tired is cos he's been playing 48 minutes a game?
The issue is the Suns paid a price almost nobody could pay. Most teams don’t have 4 unprotected 1sts they can offer, let alone two players in their prime putting up real production. Plus a swap.

Go through the league and tell me which teams could and would offer something comparable. My guess is the list is really short (if not entirely nonexistent).

Time also doesn’t stop. Durant has one less playoff in him than he did when he was traded. Also, someone else’s unprotected picks are not as valuable as your own unprotected picks.

The Jazz could be on that list, but the Suns are not recouping what they lost and it won’t be close.

Last edited:
The issue is the Suns paid a price almost nobody could pay. Most teams don’t have 4 unprotected 1sts they can offer, let alone two players in their prime putting up real production. Plus a swap.

Go through the league and tell me which teams could and would offer something comparable. My guess is the list is really short (if not entirely nonexistent).

Time also doesn’t stop. Durant has one less playoff in him than he did when he was traded. Also, someone else’s unprotected picks are not as valuable as your own unprotected picks.

The Jazz could be on that list, but the Suns are not recouping what they lost and it won’t be close.

T'Wolves and Cavs paid a King's ransom to us and have gotten much less than Durant. Don't forgot the form Durant was in with the Nets before the trade.

I think you only do that deal if you think you could win it all, and the Suns probably think they could have won it all. And if you go back and look at Vegas, they had them winning it all at one point considering how wide open the West was this year.

But then GSW got hot, and the Lakers reloaded at the deadline, then Nuggets suddenly grew up, then Chris Paul went down, etc..

IIRC most pundits thought the Suns got a good deal compared to what the Cavs and the T'Wolves got for what they paid.
I thought so too but I think he is starting to show the wear and tear that he never really shown in Brooklyn. You're also right that 48 minutes is stupid, but I don't see a team giving up what they paid.

T'Wolves and Cavs paid a King's ransom to us and have gotten much less than Durant. Don't forgot the form Durant was in with the Nets before the trade.

I think you only do that deal if you think you could win it all, and the Suns probably think they could have won it all. And if you go back and look at Vegas, they had them winning it all at one point considering how wide open the West was this year.

But then GSW got hot, and the Lakers reloaded at the deadline, then Nuggets suddenly grew up, then Chris Paul went down, etc.
The post you’re responding to was in reference to the below (but I screwed it up):

The Suns cannot recoup what they sent out in the deal. They could receive twice as many unprotected picks from other teams and it might not yield the same value because you lost the option to tank (or whatever) when you lose possession of your own picks.