What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

Salaun has a high motor and some extra length that makes him look physically impactful. I want to like him, but his skill level doesn't assure me that he's more than an energy guy. The main question is whether he can dribble and change directions at the same time. It's unusual for a guy to be a confident deep shooter, but not be able to shoot from more than a few spots on the floor.
Dribbling and changing direction isnt really a question, he cant do it. Bigger question is his first step attacking a closeout and if he can get all the way to the rim in 2 dribbles and finish through contact.

Cody has shooting and athleticism and size - those are generally required for a high end player Lacks ISO but who knows maybe it can be learned. He might be soft or maybe is just calm and not a spazz. I would take him at 8.

I have this gut feeling that if we stay at 8 (or even 9), then we will select Ron Holland. He could be the slashing and scoring wing with good instincts on both ends of the court that we need. He is young, but checks a lot of the boxes.

If you want an off-ball slasher or cutter who flies to the rim, he's your guy. He's just got to make enough shots to make defenders step out on him. He's the type of athlete the Jazz will probably like, but if they don't think he can shoot it's going to be tough.

Cody has shooting and athleticism and size - those are generally required for a high end player Lacks ISO but who knows maybe it can be learned. He might be soft or maybe is just calm and not a spazz. I would take him at 8.
He has length and athleticism. I wouldnt give him shooting w/ his lack of volume, non-existent pull-up game, and mediocre FT shooting.

Prediction.... one of these guys in the 9-15 range now kills a couple workouts and ends up top 3-4.

He has length and athleticism. I wouldnt give him shooting w/ his lack of volume, non-existent pull-up game, and mediocre FT shooting.
This. I'd be fine betting on him but the sample is too small to declare him a shooter.

Well finishing at the rim is high percentile (which I love) and catch and shoot is little above average. Other stuff is blah and yuck. But I think something is there that can be built on.

While I do think Cody has some slashing/scoring potential, I'm not sure there is a wing in the NBA who has ever had such low REB/AST/BLK/STL. Can anyone think of one?

I came up with Booker, but that's it.

The Draft lottery is 10 days away on May 12th (Mother's Day) .

Dear NBA, my Mom has asked for a top 4 pick for the Jazz for mother's day. Please do not disappoint her. Please also note that this will be her requested mother's day gift for 2025 and 2026. TIA.
How did this happen. I am angry. Can't wait for the side eye I get as I wait for us to get the 9th pick on THAT day.

Booo NBA schedulers.

How did this happen. I am angry. Can't wait for the side eye I get as I wait for us to get the 9th pick on THAT day.

Booo NBA schedulers.

Probably the one time where there is an advantage to being on EST vs PST. I believe the lottery starts at 8pm my time, which should be after any mother's day dinner/festivities, I should be in the clear.

Probably the one time where there is an advantage to being on EST vs PST. I believe the lottery starts at 8pm my time, which should be after any mother's day dinner/festivities, I should be in the clear.
oh its at 5 pm... I'm good. My wife will already be super disappointed and then over it by then. Once they upset you just live your best life.

Random stray thought. Outside of Sarr you could tell me we drafted any prospect and I wouldn't be able to tell you with 100% certainty we moved up into the top 4. Its a weird one.
It would obviously be great to move up in the draft, but if you only get to move up in one draft, this might be the worst one ever. The whole top 10 or so is very flat.

I am not sure Reed Sheppard is where I want Jazz to go. But I am super intrigued to see how things go. Is he Payton Pritchard? Or is closers to Seth Curry? Or maybe Steph if everything breaks just right.

On Cody Williams, it was interesting to me at the end of the first tourney game they used him to break the press against 6'3"ish guards. I wonder if he didn't get iso chances because they had in order ball-dominate score guard, super senior forward and a burly post option. Oh and he got hurt during the season.

It seems like every top prospect has some huge red flag. Locke was talking about how Castle, Buzelis, and Holland are some of the worst shooters he's tracked over the last 5 years and that basically nobody with their shooting profile has done much in the league.

I am not sure Reed Sheppard is where I want Jazz to go. But I am super intrigued to see how things go. Is he Payton Pritchard? Or is closers to Seth Curry? Or maybe Steph if everything breaks just right.

On Cody Williams, it was interesting to me at the end of the first tourney game they used him to break the press against 6'3"ish guards. I wonder if he didn't get iso chances because they had in order ball-dominate score guard, super senior forward and a burly post option. Oh and he got hurt during the season.
You pick Cody and think you can go point guard less (I count KG as a combo guard). He and KG can handle the press and KG and Sensa can pass as well. I think he is a do it all 2 guard and was misused as a wing - that is known to happen, players change positions and flourish in the NBA.

Alright my big board is taking shape and I'm starting to see groups/tiers forming.

My top 4:
1. Sarr
2. Williams
3. Risacher
4. Castle

Defensively limited guards who I think will be really good, but hope the Jazz don't draft:

5. Dillingham
6. Shep
7. McCain
8. Topic

Guys who can do some good things and are still young:

9. Clingan
10. Walter
11. Holland
12. Buzelis
13. Collier

Old guys that dominated the NCAA:
14. Knecht
15. Carter
16. Edey

The rest of my board is much less clear, but there are a lot of other guys I like as well, just harder to rank them.