What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

I mean SGA is arguably already the best player in the league, so a taller version of him would have a legitimate claim.

It's also just wild to project him as an elite isolation scorer when he doesnt currently have any dribble pull up game to speak of.

First of all, no one is going to argue that SGA is better than Jokic or Doncic. He's probably not better than Giannis either when it comes to playoff scenarios. So you're reaching with that argument. Let's say that SGA was a top-5 player this year.

Cody has the tools to score in isolation. As a freshman, he beat his defender and got to the rim fairly regularly, finishing at an elite level using touch and different angles. Just because he didn't shoot a lot of pull-ups at Colorado doesn't mean he can't or won't going forward. He's shown decent shooting touch at multiple levels, so as a 19 y.o. the expectation is that he'll expand his game.

In responding to Eliza's comment about 'seeing the vision' with Cody Williams, I said that developing like Shai was a best-case scenario with a low probability (around 10%) and that a more reasonable expectation would be someone like Josh Howard. If you could read more clearly and restrain your urge to make disingenuous remarks you'd grasp that we're having a more nuanced discussion.

First of all, no one is going to argue that SGA is better than Jokic or Doncic. He's probably not better than Giannis either when it comes to playoff scenarios. So you're reaching with that argument. Let's say that SGA was a top-5 player this year.

Cody has the tools to score in isolation. As a freshman, he beat his defender and got to the rim fairly regularly, finishing at an elite level using touch and different angles. Just because he didn't shoot a lot of pull-ups at Colorado doesn't mean he can't or won't going forward. He's shown decent shooting touch at multiple levels, so as a 19 y.o. the expectation is that he'll expand his game.

In responding to Eliza's comment about 'seeing the vision' with Cody Williams, I said that developing like Shai was a best-case scenario with a low probability (around 10%) and that a more reasonable expectation would be someone like Josh Howard. If you could read more clearly and restrain your urge to make disingenuous remarks you'd grasp that we're having a more nuanced discussion.
Sir you are the one being disingenuous. Maybe dont say hyperbolic things. He does not have a 10% chance outcome at being a taller SGA.

And SGA just went toe to toe with Luka in a playoff series while his co-stars are all on their rookie contracts, so yeah, I think some people would argue a taller SGA would be the best player in the NBA. He's also not a weak link on D like Luka is and a taller SGA would probably be a top tier defender as far as 1st options on offense go.

And you are really trying hard to backpedal. What's the difference between Cody developing like Shai and Cody being Shai (and we can all look back, you did not use that language)? Either way the outcome is the same and you are saying he has top 5 player in the NBA potential.

I know you get really butthurt when I call you out on hyperbole, but you got to expect that when you say wild stuff. I guess the tried and true Cody Williams spiel got a bit tired for you so you had to spice it up.

only really saw cody play once other than highlights. i dont know if he was playing injured, but he was slow and looked disintersted. i would pick 15 other guys at 10 before i considered williams.

10% of being Josh Howard is probably a little generous.

10% of being Shai...come on. I know everyone loves the draft but look at the history and success rates of being an NBA player at all.

only really saw cody play once other than highlights. i dont know if he was playing injured, but he was slow and looked disintersted. i would pick 15 other guys at 10 before i considered williams.
I luckily saw SGA play earlier in the year and he look much more aggressive and engaged. I really think the injuries got to him.

What I never saw was a player with that "IT" gene that Carter has.

And SGA just went toe to toe with Luka in a playoff series while his co-stars are all on their rookie contracts, so yeah, I think some people would argue a taller SGA would be the best player in the NBA. He's also not a weak link on D like Luka is and a taller SGA would probably be a top tier defender as far as 1st options on offense go.

And you are really trying hard to backpedal. What's the difference between Cody developing like Shai and Cody being Shai (and we can all look back, you did not use that language)? Either way the outcome is the same and you are saying he has top 5 player in the NBA potential.

I know you get really butthurt when I call you out on hyperbole, but you got to expect that when you say wild stuff. I guess the tried and true Cody Williams spiel got a bit tired for you so you had to spice it up.

Yes, we can all read what I wrote. Developing like SGA is an absolute best-case scenario for Cody Williams, though it’s unlikely and unrealistic to expect it. I’m not backpedaling. Cody’s ceiling is very high. However, a more realistic outcome is a player like Josh Howard.

Remember, SGA was a 6’6”, 180-lb 19 y.o. prospect at UK who was criticized for being skinny, for lacking explosiveness and lacking the ability to get all the way to he rim. He showed scoring instincts, shooting touch and playmaking, but needed to tighten his handle and add strength. He was drafted 11th in his draft class. There were similarities with where Cody is now, though Cody is positionally a 2/3. Before Cody got injured, there were decent statistical comparisons as well.

SGA’s outcome has been an absolute best case scenario. No one expected him to have this major an impact. So saying that this type of development curve would be best-case for Cody shouldn’t be surprising. They’re similar physically and have very similar strengths and weaknesses.

Cody Williams and SGA is a comparison that I never expected to hear. I'm looking more in the Tayshaun Prince mold if he is willing to really lock in defensively.

Cody Williams and SGA is a comparison that I never expected to hear. I'm looking more in the Tayshaun Prince mold if he is willing to really lock in defensively.

The hope with Cody is that he can create and attack a defense. The biggest question is how his body develops.

Back