What's new

2024 NBA Draft Mega Thread

talented player, but too early

If you believe in Edey, I don't think it's too early. If you don't believe in Edey, then it's too early. If you're drafting Edey, you're pretty much deciding to build an offensive and defensive system around his strengths and weaknesses. And therefore, it's not too early to take him at 10.

For example, if the Jazz build a fantastic perimeter defense with athletic, switchy defenders like the Celtics did, then you can afford to keep Edey in drop, or even let him get blown by.

Edey would have no PT available right now....you would have to find a home for Kessler or Collins straight away or have him sit for awhile. Kessler for Edey swap would but kindy risky but maybe worthwhile. Think Kessler ends up a better player 7/8 times out of 10.....but Edey has a lot more offensive potential.

I don't think the Jazz are committed to Kessler long term. The main evidence of this is that they're not committed to John Collins, yet they consistently play Collins ahead fo Kessler. Even when the Jazz shifted their rotation to give the young guys more developmental minutes late in the season, they still benched Kessler. The Jazz want to move the ball and drive, and Kessler can't space the floor. If the Jazz think that Edey can actually shoot (e.g., 48 makes in the 100 drill), then I could see them making a swap.

If you believe in Edey, I don't think it's too early. If you don't believe in Edey, then it's too early. If you're drafting Edey, you're pretty much deciding to build an offensive and defensive system around his strengths and weaknesses. And therefore, it's not too early to take him at 10.

For example, if the Jazz build a fantastic perimeter defense with athletic, switchy defenders like the Celtics did, then you can afford to keep Edey in drop, or even let him get blown by.
No it doesnt

Edey definitely does not slide right in as a natural fit with the Jazz offense and Hardy clearly doesn’t prioritize bigs who can be good in drop (I don’t even know if Edey will be effective in drop). We would definitely have to change some things to accommodate him. He’s not exactly a versatile player.

I don’t know if there’s anyone been drafted around 10 where the team is willing to change everything for them immediately. There are teams who he can be a more natural fit with and I think he will go to one of them instead of UTA.

I could see Ainge drafting Edney. It would give the Jazz a piece to match up with the Spurs center. It would also be counter to what virtually every NBA team is doing. I think Kessler (&&)%^the bed last season and he'd better get his mind and game right this season.

Edey definitely does not slide right in as a natural fit with the Jazz offense and Hardy clearly doesn’t prioritize bigs who can be good in drop (I don’t even know if Edey will be effective in drop). We would definitely have to change some things to accommodate him. He’s not exactly a versatile player.

I don’t know if there’s anyone been drafted around 10 where the team is willing to change everything for them immediately. There are teams who he can be a more natural fit with and I think he will go to one of them instead of UTA.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally think Edey is a fit for a free-flowing, high-pace, floor-spacing team, but who knows what the Jazz are envisioning. I think Edey needs to be compared to slower drop bigs like Valanciunas and Steven Adams.

I could see Ainge drafting Edney. It would give the Jazz a piece to match up with the Spurs center. It would also be counter to what virtually every NBA team is doing. I think Kessler (&&)%^the bed last season and he'd better get his mind and game right this season.
Kessler = Amber Heard?

I don't think the Jazz are committed to Kessler long term. The main evidence of this is that they're not committed to John Collins, yet they consistently play Collins ahead fo Kessler. Even when the Jazz shifted their rotation to give the young guys more developmental minutes late in the season, they still benched Kessler. The Jazz want to move the ball and drive, and Kessler can't space the floor. If the Jazz think that Edey can actually shoot (e.g., 48 makes in the 100 drill), then I could see them making a swap.
Meh, the Jazz would have won more games had they given Kessler more minutes. Jazz would fall behind then go on a run once they provided any sort of defense, which Kessler provided. Kessler would then get pulled for an extended period, leaving the rim wide open and we lose.

Kessler didn't have the year he did last year, but there were plenty of times he wasn't allowed to either. Jazz were not looking to win games.

KG
Kris Dunn
Ryan Dunn
Lauri
Edey

That could work...:)

Everyone plays big on the defensive side...Kris and Ryan Dunn would be super fast to fill in any gaps on defense.

On offense go to the post. Ryan Dunn would have to figure out how to roll with Edey.

Edey would beat out Walker for minutes, so it'd be Walker with not PT.
I don't actually disagree with this. IMO Hardy clearly has some problems with Walker and doesn't trust him or like him like many here do. At the end of the day it's not us that determine playing time. It's the guy that doesn't seem to trust Walker much. And if we draft Edey as high as 10... IMO it's very possible this was done with the approval/desire of the coach taken in consideration. Not sure he beats him for minutes right away... but he will get every chance to do it IMO.

Yeah, I wouldn't normally think Edey is a fit for a free-flowing, high-pace, floor-spacing team, but who knows what the Jazz are envisioning.

I think the main things are that the team he plays for wants to run a lot of PnR on offense and drop coverage on defense. The Jazz don’t run a lot of PnR and I don’t think Hardy wants to play a drop. Kessler has a lot of flaws, but he’s pretty damn good at protecting the rim and Hardy doesn’t like him.

If we’re drafting for what Hardy has in mind….or at least what he’s shown so far…Flip is a better fit and has a better chance to succeed imo.

I don't actually disagree with this. IMO Hardy clearly has some problems with Walker and doesn't trust him or like him like many here do. At the end of the day it's not us that determine playing time. It's the guy that doesn't seem to trust Walker much. And if we draft Edey as high as 10... IMO it's very possible this was done with the approval/desire of the coach taken in consideration. Not sure he beats him for minutes right away... but he will get every chance to do it IMO.

We should definitely trade Kessler/Collins right away if we’re picking Edey. I’m not sure how long it would take Edey to overtake Kessler or if he even would. I think he would be immediately better on offense…but Edey still isn’t necessarily a system fit for Hardy and defense??? Don’t know if Hardy even cares about defense. He admitted it wasn’t a focus for them last season.

You’re not wrong about Hardy disliking Kessler though. He went through his struggles, but I don’t think many coaches around the league would have been as harsh. Especially when rocking the 30th ranked defense in the league. Say what you want about Kessler, no one can deny that he is a good rim protector. Hardy just doesn’t seem to care.

Back