What's new

6 and 13 pick history, big draft mistakes.

jazzfan1132

espn predict us as 6 and 13 first round pick, so here is 10 years history of these picks and efficient players missed by 6 in my opinion.

2001: 6.Battier 10.Joe Johnson 13.Richard Jefferson
2002: 6.Wagner 7.Nene 9.A.Stoudemire 13.Haislip
2003: 6.Kaman 13.Banks 18.D.West
2004: 6.Childress 7.Deng 9.Igudala 13.Telfair 15.AlJefferson 17.J.Smith
2005: 6.Webster 10.Bynum 13.May 17.Granger 18.G.Green
2006: 6.Roy 8.Gay 13.Salfalosha 21.Rondo
2007: 6.Yi 9.Noah 13.Wright
2008: 6.Galinari 7.E.Gordon 10.B.Lopez 13.Rush 17.Hibbert
2009: 6.Flynn 7.S.Curry 13.Hansbrough
2010: 6.Udoh 7.Monroe 13.E.Davis

more over Jazz players drafted, and players missed:

2001 Jazz: 24.R.Lopez missed: 25.G.Wallace 26.Dalambert 28.T.Parker 31.Arenas
2002 Jazz: 18.Burchardt missed: 24.Kristic 56.Scola
2003 Jazz: 19.Pavlovic missed: 27.Perkins
MOST TRAGIC DRAFT 2004 Jazz: 14.Humpries 16.Snyder 21.Podkolzin missed: 15.Big Al 17.J Smith 26.K.Martin 31.Varejao
2005 Jazz: 3.Deron Williams 34Mles missed: 40.M.Ellis
2006 Jazz: 14.Brewer missed 21 Rondo 2nd Round 46.Brown 47.Milsap
2007 Jazz: 25.Almond 38.Fesenko missed:27.Affalo 31.Landry 48 M.Gasol
2008 Jazz: 23.Kufos 44.Tomic missed: 24.Ibaka 25.Batum 26.G.Hill 35 D.Jordan
2009 Jazz: 20.Maynor 30.Suton
2010 Jazz: 9.Hayward 55.J.Evans

and BIGGEST MISTAKES lots of

Yeah if you notice outside 2004, the miss list is very small. KOC has done a great job for the most part. You probably should have compared 7th picks though, Nets are 1 game behind Detroit who is tanking every game from here on out.

We could have these players:

Tony Parker, Louis Scola, Kedrick Perkins, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith, Big AL, Aaron Affalo, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo.

instead of those : Raul Lopez, Pawel Podkolzin, Kirk Snyder, Kosta Kufos, Dee Brown, CJ Miles, Moris Almond

only two great things in ten years history for JAZZ 47 miracle pick PAUL MILSAP, and trade for 3rd pick Dron Williams

good luck JAZZFANZ in upcoming 2011 draft.

Tony Parker, Louis Scola, Kedrick Perkins, Kevin Martin, Josh Smith, Big AL, Aaron Affalo, Marc Gasol, Rajon Rondo.

instead of those : Raul Lopez, Pawel Podkolzin, Kirk Snyder, Kosta Kufos, Dee Brown, CJ Miles, Moris Almond

only two great things in ten years history for JAZZ 47 miracle pick PAUL MILSAP, and trade for 3rd pick Dron Williams

Yeah almost every team picked other guys over Parker, Perkins, Martin, Smith etc

Every GM is a moran!

Lets see 9 players in 10+ years with over 1000 players in all to choose from. You would be a much more amazing GM than KOC obviously.

Yeah almost every team picked other guys over Parker, Perkins, Martin, Smith etc

Every GM is a moran!

"almost" two teams like Boston and San Antonio could picked them and win it all, i've said nothing about KOC my post shows rather the difficulty of draft and lack of luck for the JAZZ

picking past 20 is pretty much luck.

Really picking past the top 3 is just about a 50/50 proposition, getting worse and worse as the picks get later and later. We had posted on this board once before an article showing how much of a crap shoot it is to draft anytime after the first 3 and even more so outside of the top 10.

WEbster (was that the jailblazers picking?) and May

Yeah... this draft could really suck... Imagine if those are the types of players the jazz get this year... 15 win season next year in the making.

LOL; I loved the old Detroit teams, so gotta start pulling for them again now. They've actually got several winnable games, whereas NJ has a tougher schedule, as their "easier" games are all on the road.
The way the Jazz are "playing" basketball right now, they'll be lucky to win 3 more games. Both the Clippers and the Warriors could realistically reach 34-35 wins, as could the Bobcats and Pacers, while the Rockets and Suns could end up at .500, which the Jazz seem very unlikely to do...

It is really hard to call any pick a "mistake". That is like saying "well since you couldn't perfectly see the future, you obviously screwed up because everyone else saw the future except you, you loser". At the time, Lopez was rated higher than Parker in the draft, for example. Lopez was more skilled, nearly as athletic, with a better shot and better play-making abilities. How in the hell were the Jazz supposed to know he would blow out his knee, multiple times? That severely hampered his play and development. He could have been far better than Parker and the successor to Stockton we needed long before D Will came along. So how can that be called a mistake?

Seriously the only real mistakes are few and far between. Picking anyone over Jordan was pretty obvious at the time and raised a big commotion. It was pretty obvious that a mistake was made there. Malone dropping in the draft was another that could legitimately be called a mistake. Many panned the teams before the Jazz picked for passing over Malone and as I remember the Jazz were elated so many skipped him, and teams from about the 6th pick on were expected to pick Malone but none did until 13. These are not the norm however that such a solid player is skipped over for someone of obvious lesser ability and potential. In the more recent era, Darko Milicic is another obvious mistake. He was talked about during that draft as being a late first and even second round player, but he went second over-all, ahead of Carmelo, Bosh and Wade and was widely panned on draft day as a huge mistake.

But mostly what you might call a mistake was simply the uncertainty of the crystal ball, and not really any kind of mistake at all. Unfortunate? Certainly. A sure sign that a GM sucks at identifying talent? Hardly.

Jazz can still draft Michael Jordan from UNC, just sayin'.

We did get Stockton and Malone outside the top ten in back to back years.

Two HOF players in back to back years outside top 10 how many teams can claim that little nugget.

Reactions: UB

God, not this **** again...

OP tells me their are plenty of potential misses every single year and the Jazz have an opportunity to steal, cash in, hit the lottery without winning the lottery. All I hear is how terribly weak this draft is. People are saying this nearly every year, especially before the NCAA season starts. Yet, every year, someone goes in the second round and develops into an outstanding player.

I'll be watching draft night this year for the first time in many.

OP tells me their are plenty of potential misses every single year and the Jazz have an opportunity to steal, cash in, hit the lottery without winning the lottery. All I hear is how terribly weak this draft is. People are saying this nearly every year, especially before the NCAA season starts. Yet, every year, someone goes in the second round and develops into an outstanding player.

I'll be watching draft night this year for the first time in many.

If all the freshman come out and then you add the 4 potential Euro lottery guys the top 15 still looks pretty decent. One thing is that there is not one player who you just know will be a superstar, but we could still certainly get two future starters out of this draft.