What's new

9/3 Games thread US

I figured that they’d start leaning more heavily on their top players instead of rotating players in and out. Think it kept everyone from getting into a good rhythm. I know Pop’s is a genius, but I’m hoping things settle here soon.
Great idea! Now if we could only figure out who the top players are?

Going back through the game, mostly highlights, Team USA isn't prepared. They can't defend the pick and roll, and they're missing defensive assignments left and right. Turkey was better coached and much more prepared.

Team USA normally wins on talent not necessarily team chemistry. This team lacks talent and chemistry. Donovan has to be consistently great for this team to win gold or even medal at all. I was thinking they would get stronger as they played more games but that hasnt been the case. They could have really used Fox.

Going back through the game, mostly highlights, Team USA isn't prepared. They can't defend the pick and roll, and they're missing defensive assignments left and right. Turkey was better coached and much more prepared.

Yes. And I don't get it. Everyone knew that it's going to be a tough tournament for that team. It was clear that in order to win they will need to prepare some schemes not only count on individual talent. It looks a bit like an all star game coaching right now. It would work with olympic dream team where the best usually go but not here. There was a moment in the second quarter when for a stretch of time they started to move a ball and suddenly it looked much better but soon enough they went back to normal.
I also don't really sense a good chemistry in this team, they don't look united or desperate to win.

I'm surprised our youngest ever national team almost beat the USA. They missed four straight FTs when they had it in the bag lol, what a choke job.
Honestly I'm puzzled by Pop's rotations. No USA player was able get into the rhythm because of that. DM was in and out constantly, and he didn't shoot well but did OK otherwise except he made a costly turnover down the wire.
Well I think it's also the youngest ever USA team (since they started using pros)

I was thinking they would get stronger as they played more games but that hasnt been the case.
I think that still is the case. Prep games were not a measurement for the intensity they’d receive in the real thing. Czech Republic were not a real test neither. I wasn’t thinking Turkey would be neither but this game showed that if they face a team that takes this serious, they’re gonna need to plan and communicate more. They got a lot more potential than what they showed against Turkey, show if they can take it serious too, especially the coaching staff. I’m happy that Mitchell is experiencing smth he’d never see in an NBA game. It will hopefully help him be smarter in shot decisions and position usage next season. This will also help him a lot for playing with players like Bogdanovic, Ingles and Gobert, take the chemistry to another level.

That was a rough game to watch tbh. Felt bad for Don, he did have some decent defense and very important rebounds. Donovan’s going to have to play extremely well for them to have a chance at gold. I do think giving him the ball and just letting him go to work would be beneficial to him and the team. I feel he’s been a bit too unselfish.

Mitchell through the first 2 FIBA tourney games is averaging:
12.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.5 spg, 43.5% 2FG, 38.5% 3FG

During the 4 exhibition games, he averaged:
12.5 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 2.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 42.6% 2FG, 33.3% 3FG

It's almost like European teams play together more or something.

Need olympic melo doe!!!

In all seriousness,

Team USA is talented as hell, but team work beats talent. I dont think they can take gold this time....but thats ok.

Nah 2004 has that name claimed... or maybe Pierce led 2002 team who failed to even win a medal at home in Indianapolis?

Are you sure? I mean this team Plumlee on it. Marcus Smart isn’t even a starter and why the heck is Derrick White on the team?

It’s a very mediocre roster.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app