What's new

Alec Burks Vs. Ronnie Brewer

Ronnie is length-wise and height-wise close to the same size as Burks but Brewer was a significantly better leaper and is about 25 lbs heavier. On the flipside Burks jumper isn't permanently broken.

I liked Ronnie, but if you notice in the comparison vid, RB got all those layups without putting the ball on the floor much. AB, however, is getting those layups off his own dribble drives. Curious to see how RB's college game compared.

I seem to remember that RB came in with supposed point guard abilities and during his rookie year, Sloan was forced to give him minutes at the point guard spot during a preseason game (foul trouble or injuries). It never happened again.

And Burks has PG skills, as mentioned by KoC. Not as strong as Brewer, who could also play some SF. Burks is a way better all-round offensive threat. I don't sweat the lack of a consistant 3 ball; he does have superior ability to draw fouls, and does shoot the 2 ball fine. Many guys come out w/o a good 3 and develop it in the NBA. I see no reason Burks won't develop defensively, which was Brewer's forte, although Brewer was actually erratic there too...

I've always been a Brewer fan, but it's true he does not have the greatest handles. Burks on the other hand handled the ball for 30% of CU's possessions this season. So, I think there are 3 things Burks could possibly do better than Brewer; shoot off the dribble, pass off the dribble and actually dribble-drive to the basket.

I'm thinking we could utilize Burks, like we seemed to do with Hayward late last season and have him take the point every once-in-awhile. His dribbling ability is already light-years ahead of what Brewer was able to do.

Ronnie Brewer had more problems that having a chicken wing. Because of his unhealed broken arm, it caused other problems. His head would fly back, his turn around jumper was non-existent and his confidence was never there. I saw Burks play a few times on TV and I was impressed with his pull-up jumper. He also could get his shot off in traffic. He looks like he can get to the basket any time he wants. I thought his jumper looks good. I think it is hilarious everyone is saying he can't shoot. The guy just finished his first year in college. Stockton couldn't shoot at all when he first got to the league.

Not sure I am crazy about the Burks pick but his upside is much better than RB. I really liked RB but he is not a starting wing on a decent team.

Ronnie Brewer had more problems that having a chicken wing. Because of his unhealed broken arm, it caused other problems. His head would fly back, his turn around jumper was non-existent and his confidence was never there. I saw Burks play a few times on TV and I was impressed with his pull-up jumper. He also could get his shot off in traffic. He looks like he can get to the basket any time he wants. I thought his jumper looks good. I think it is hilarious everyone is saying he can't shoot. The guy just finished his first year in college. Stockton couldn't shoot at all when he first got to the league.

2nd year at college.

Burks' mentality and attitude have it all over Brewer. He's gonna be more like Wesley Matthews.

Not a comparison to Brewer here, but just adding that I like Burks got himself to the, on average, 8 times per game, and hit 82.5%. Also more assists than TO's.

Burks shot 83% from the FT line last season. That's great for a college player. If he develops a Kevin Martin/Correy Maggette flop game, he will be valuable.

He also goes right and left dead even ... and converts equally well both directions.

By the way, he gets to the FT stripe more than any other wing in this draft class ..