What's new

Alex Jensen and Irv Roland won't be back

Of the names I am seeing bandied about in the coaching carousel, Jensen's resume is as good or better than most of them. I hope he lands a head coaching gig somewhere, he's earned the chance.

Is this accurate? I mean, it is clear Alex was super connected to Rudy's development, but I didn't get that sense with WK and Alex. I get the sense that WK is super connected to Hardy. I'm sure Alex was primarily working with WK, but doesn't mean they developed the same AJ/RG connection.

I loved Alex as a player at the U. Love guys that make the most with very little. He has the grit factor that is very easy to root for. I've had minor interactions with him and all super positive. He is a quality dude. And quality people tend to land on their feet. I wouldn't be surprised to see Alex surface in Minny.

Alex has had great opportunities that he passed down to be loyal to the Jazz. Primarily loyal to the previous owner group. Loyalty to an organization has all kinds to potential of eating you up in the end. True of any soulless organization. Coaching at the NBA/Division 1 level is a tough life. These guys are super smart. They know it is a super difficult life and what they are signing up for. Alex actually had a more impressive run with one organization than 99% of the people in his business. Nothing to be ashamed of. Life is always moving forward.

This. It is very hard to be second fiddle to the guy that beat you out for your dream job.
You grew up in the area, probably been a lifelong fan of the organization, have been here on the coaching staff for 9 years. You've worked your way up to lead assistant. You've got head coaching experience. You were COTY in the G League. You've interviewed for other HC positions at the NBA level. You've been offered the job at your alma mater but turned it down. You interviewed for the opening where you're currently lead assistant, get passed over for someone 10 years your junior, no HC experience, never a lead assistant, no ties to the community.

Yeah, it's awkward.

Hardy needs to bring in an extremely good big man coach to replace Alex. That wont be easy but the role that Alex played with Rudy AND Kessler is very clear.

Andy Larsen said on ESPN700 that there is a rumor that longtime Spurs assistant Ettore Messina may end up on the Jazz coaching staff. He's currently a head coach over in Europe so the Jazz would likely have to buy out his contract.
He still has one year left on his contract.

Andy Larsen said on ESPN700 that there is a rumor that longtime Spurs assistant Ettore Messina may end up on the Jazz coaching staff. He's currently a head coach over in Europe so the Jazz would likely have to buy out his contract.
I'll take that over Jensen if only because of the breadth of experience and the value of well-timed churn.

What’s a package Atlanta could send to Minnesota for Gobert that would further cripple the Wolves? Or would moving Rudy and thus keeping them stuck with KAT continue to cripple them best?
Rudy and NAW will give them the curse of Quin for the foreseeable future.

In former assistant coaching notes Erdem Can, who was an assistant to Quin in 2021-22, was named Euroleague Coach of the Year.

According to this article, Stars coach Scott Morrison has been added to Hardy's staff. It also says former Jazz assistants Alex Jensen, Bryon Bailey, Igor Kososkov and Antonio Lang are all candidates to join Snyder's staff in Atlanta.