What's new

All Star Weekend Thread

Not sure how ASG will change. Guys before were just competitive af. Mj, magic, bird they were all trash talking even in dream team practices. Now players are buddy buddy. don't want to hurt their feelings.
that's not really it at all. they've just become smarter in terms of not taking any chances of getting injured. it's the same reason they don't hit or tackle in the pro bowl any more. preventing injury is just so much more to the forefront these days. back then they just played and hoped for the best.

Everything has changed. These guys are making so much money outside the sport that the sport doesn't have the same impact. I mean, look at a guy like John Stockton. How much money did he bring in outside of the NBA?

When companies lifted up Michael Jordan, it all started to gradually change. Jordan was doing national commercials for like 10 companies. Ballpark Franks and battery commercials not just Nike, McDonald's, Gatorade and the monster companies.

Guys in the early 90's fought for traction in the only place they knew could pay off - basketball. Now, guys can simply wear a hat walking in pre-game and receive thousands of dollars from some clothing manufacturer.

The players get blamed for being "soft" but it's all business. Business has changed everything.
Why wear a hat when you can just dress as a life boat?
Screenshot_20230221_190456_Chrome.jpg

Overall the weekend was a great success. The NBA product of All Star weekend sucks as it usually does, but the weekend went smooth, everything was well attended (despite some late arriving crowds, which is generally the status quo at the AS game). The NBA estimated a $280 million economic impact on SLC, an NBA record, no bad inversion, decent weather all weekend long, and despite the boring jab from a couple guys who were too busy all weekend to go try any food or parties throughout the weekend, it was a great success. I would say plenty of people in fact came to Utah for the All Star game.

View: https://twitter.com/harris_stavrou/status/1627101241422798849?s=46&t=yzXJeJRrvdnOOONE92IooQ

I am sure plenty of people will find a way to tie this to Utah instead of to the fact that the ASG absolutely sucks balls. They might as well just have the Friday and Saturday events and on Sunday have a big concert or something with a medal ceremony for the all stars and skip the game altogether.

Either that or they seriously need an overhaul of the format. The current format is terrible and frankly the "game play", if you can call it that, is atrocious. Something needs to tie it back to competition at the highest level, which is what the fans want to see, not playground one on one antics by known ball-hogs and nothing but garbage plays trying to run the score up into the 200's. It was maybe the most boring ASG I have seen even parts of in recent memory.