What's new

All-Time Draft 2nd round: Spycam1 vs White Chocolate

Who would win in a 7 game series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I'm relying on either Pierce or McGrady to get me buckets, I'd take McGrady. On teams like this, however, I'd prefer Pierce.

In 2003, no one thought TMac was a better player than Kobe. Anybody who watched the Lakers win three rings with Kobe and Shaq saw that Shaq needed Kobe just as much as Kobe needed Shaq. Kobe at such a young age hit HUGE shot after HUGE shot. I'm a Jordan homer and found myself watching MJ again. Hell, even in the press conferences after the games, Shaq referred to Kobe as the best player on the planet. Because he was imo.

McGrady was a statstuffer. He won zero playoff series.

Comparing the two is like comparing Robert Plant to Kid Rock.

trust me there was plenty. been debating basketball all my life with all kinds of idiots. of course, i sided kobe. but there were plenty of statmongers who always preferred better stats. also there are many people who simply love measurables. those who prefer taller and longer athletes.

also their logic was

'it's easy to hit a big shot when you have shaq who gets triple teamed every time'.
'put tmac and shaq together, they don't lose a game'.
'tmac and phil jackson? match made in heaven'
'tmac is coachable kobe'

you know that kinda idiotic logic.

but no matter how anybody slice this you don't suck at basketball and win 2 all nba team before 23. he was a great talent.

Hence why Pierce is starting and McGrady is instant offense off the bench.

this is where this whole debate is very tricky. if tmac is 23, and pierce is 29 then yes. tmac won't be sour playing off the bench. you are taking veteran presence over young super talent. that can happen.

but i assume you picked them at their best meaning both are about the same age 23-25. if so then why da hell tmac would ever say yes to coming off the bench? he would be so damn sour. whenever i saw pierce/drexler/tmac on your roster, that's the first i've thought about. 'somebody ain't gonna happy'.

2003 nba allstar roster. guess who started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_NBA_All-Star_Game

2004 nba allstar roster. guess who started
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NBA_All-Star_Game

and in reality, no right minded coach would start somebody vastly inferior in terms of talent, athleticism, and physical measurables. there is not a thing pierce can do better than tmac on paper. 2time 1st nba team doesn't come off the bench for no real reason. it's illogical. it doesn't happen in real world. and at this very stage, tmac were clearly way ahead of pierce in reputation, talent, accolades, and etc. boston didn't win a damn thing yet.

Last edited: