What's new

Anthony Bennett

Jeffrey32

Portland and Philly can still claim him off waivers, though doing so would mean eating his salary. That would leave the Sixers with something like $7 million in cap space,2 and that’s not enough to butt in as a salary dumping ground in every big-money trade conversation. Portland can swallow Bennett and maintain something like $15 million in space — most in the league, and enough to snag some assets in exchange for eating more money down the line. Utah has theoretical cap room, but its roster is almost full, and it’s not touching Bennett, per several league sources.

I don't think Bennett is worth claiming off waivers, but as a free agent minimum signing is he better than any of the deep bench bigs on the roster? He could be a step up from Cooley and Motum.

I actually hope Toronto gives him a shot. Maybe being home in Canada will help his career and confidence and they could use another big since Amir Johnson left.

He's not clearing waivers and then ending up on the Jazz. No way.

If they want him they would have to claim him off waivers, and they do not want him badly enough to do that.

If the Jazz feel he can play some 3(and he clears waivers) I say sign him up! Thing is he's more of a 4 and there doesn't seem to be any minutes for him at 4 on the roster(he'd be behind Trey Lyles). It's not in his best interests(I don't think) for the Jazz to sign him (unless his plan is to blend in and wait his turn...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUhyAErinSk

He'd be low-risk and relatively high reward, he's in thebest shape he's been in years. So on a cheap deal, I wouldn't hesitate to sign him. He's still younger than some rookies... Which is eerily similar to what I used to say about former bust(sarcasm), Al-Farouq Aminu when he was searching for a cheap deal.

That 2013 NBA Draft will go down as one of the worst ever. The best player from that draft is Rudy Gobert drafted all the way down at #27.

If the Jazz feel he can play some 3(and he clears waivers) I say sign him up! Thing is he's more of a 4 and there doesn't seem to be any minutes for him at 4 on the roster(he'd be behind Trey Lyles). It's not in his best interests(I don't think) for the Jazz to sign him (unless his plan is to blend in and wait his turn...)

He'd be low-risk and relatively high reward, he's in thebest shape he's been in years. So on a cheap deal, I wouldn't hesitate to sign him. He's still younger than some rookies... Which is eerily similar to what I used to say about former bust(sarcasm), Al-Farouq Aminu when he was searching for a cheap deal.

Why would he come here? Cuz he wants to get as many DNPs as possible? He'll go somewhere with less depth at the 4.

One ting I learn from you is you are always right about everything.

Zach Lowe just published a piece on Bennett. Solid article, per usual.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...uyout-guarantees-his-ignominious-no-1-status/

One of the things that gets swept under the rug with this story IMO, is if Nerlens Noel's knee didn't get busted, that draft would've never played out the way it did.

Once I started to see the Noel rehab videos in his first injured year, and the added weight. I showed up on JF and admitted that I was wrong and he should've gone #1. I still think It would've made a ton of sense for the Cavs to go with Len. but I digress.

Lowe hits the nail directly on the head with the first sentence in the article though.

I kinda have mixed reactions to the line - "Cleveland lost value by reaching for Bennett at no. 1, but it wasn’t an insane pick at the time, and none of the reasonable alternatives are going to inspire “what if?” stories for the next 30 years."

I'd love to see what those medical reports looked like leading up to the draft. So many screwy things that draft.
Usually I like to 'play the game' without that info, there had to be some loaded stuff on those reports, (wasn't that the chatter with Noels injury?/)

One ting I learn from you is you are always right about everything.

Didn't even see this comment. Thats not true, look at what I just posted. I admitted fault for putting Noel too low in that draft rather quickly. I had Anthony Bennett rated over Otto Porter too, which obviously in hindsight was incorrect(I don't have medical records to work with though), I didn't have either of them rated far off consensus either.

I was spot on about Sergey Karasev being a waste of a 1st round pick though... I was infact hyping the **** out of Aminu on minimum deals for 2 summers here, before he got PAID this summer. was spot on about that.

Was also wrong about Giannis, I didn't have bad things to say about him(I had bad things to say about the competition he was playing, but i learned my lesson), I had him rated right around where he went, which was way too low.

I was also dead wrong about Jamal Franklin in that draft. I said he was a 1st rounder, turns out OKC liked Anthony Roberson and Indianapolis liked Solomon Powell better, I was shocked those picks were made.(and wondering if those were the players that were pushing Rudy into the 2nd round)

If you look at the video of Gobert getting drafted you can see Jay Bilas had Franklin rated several spots higher than Rudy, and the BPA at the 27th pick.

FWIW - I legit stopped lurking on this site, to talking about the centers in this 2013 draft (Rudy included)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtJHh_zIItM

Zach Lowe just published a piece on Bennett. Solid article, per usual.

https://grantland.com/the-triangle/...uyout-guarantees-his-ignominious-no-1-status/

I don't agree with everything he says. He paints a bad an overly pessimistic picture. But in the end he still says it's a nice win for someone to pick up.

I think Bennett is a better shooter than he's been made out to be. The numbers are skewed because he's never got consistent minutes to work out the pressure and nerves.

The guy had an odd start to his career. His rookie year in preseason he was tearing it up and people were starting thinking he was gonna justify the pick. Then the season starts and he misses his first 30 shots. Which doesn't exactly make him look very good, but it could have just been a fluke. He was shooting just fine before that. Then it all snowballed from there. He got the bust label and the Cavs just gave up on him. I can see how that mentally could hurt a young man and his confidence. It was a terrible way of handling the situation. It's not how you handle your number 1 overall pick investment.

Then he gets shipped off to Minnesota to play for Flip Saunders who never gives him a chance and tells he won't shoot anymore 3 pointers. That's a real quote from Flip. That could explain why he shot a lot of long two's.

Imo, he just hasnt been handled right. No one has done him any favors. He still is very young. If someone would be willing to give him a fair shot, he just might surprise some people.

Would this thread exist if he went 8th like was supposed to? Nope. End thread.

Interestingly enough, I saw in one of these recent articles that apparently no one else in the top-10 was prepared to take Bennett. Which, if true, leads me to believe teams had him redflagged. Yet the Cavs took him 1st.. Which is just crazy stupid if that's what really happened. I'd imagine people lost their jobs over that folly..

Interestingly enough, I saw in one of these recent articles that apparently no one else in the top-10 was prepared to take Bennett. Which, if true, leads me to believe teams had him redflagged. Yet the Cavs took him 1st.. Which is just crazy stupid if that's what really happened. I'd imagine people lost their jobs over that folly..

The GM was fired last year. "Granted" 2014 was a horrific year to have a number 1 pick. Possibly the worst of all time.

I don't think Bennett is worth claiming off waivers, but as a free agent minimum signing is he better than any of the deep bench bigs on the roster? He could be a step up from Cooley and Motum.

I actually hope Toronto gives him a shot. Maybe being home in Canada will help his career and confidence and they could use another big since Amir Johnson left.

Except neither Cooley nor Motum will be on the roster. Right now, the Jazz have 7 bigs with guaranteed or partially guaranteed deals:

C- Gobert, Pleiss, Withey
PF- Favors, Booker, Lyles, Jerrett

Is Bennett better than Favors or Booker? Does he have more upside than Lyles? He's probably better than Jerrett, but you have to believe Jerrett will be released at some point. Jazz will go with either 5 or 6 bigs. And that's probably dependent on whether Withey shows he can be a capable backup.

The GM was fired last year. "Granted" 2014 was a horrific year to have a number 1 pick. Possibly the worst of all time.

https://deadspin.com/why-is-adrian-wojnarowski-peddling-a-falsehood-about-th-1732225833

Just came across this article claiming Woj has embellished the claim that no one else in the top-10 would've taken Bennett, which was certainly the part of the story that caught my eye..

Pretty much every single reputable reporter or NBA draft expert, after talking to teams and agents, thought Bennett was a top-1o pick. ESPN projected he’d go third. Chad Ford had him ranked fourth. David Aldridge projected he’d go fourth. Scott Howard-Cooper projected he’d go fifth. DraftExpress had him ranked sixth, and projected he’d go eighth. Sports Illustrated projected he’d go seventh. The Sporting News projected he’d go seventh. NBADraft.net projected he’d go tenth.

Y'all are sleeping on this class though(or jumping to conclusions) It wont end up historically bad. It's just one of the bookends in a row of stacked drafts.

Victor Oladipo has proven to be a damn good NBA player.