What's new

Any ESPN Insiders?

Stoked

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
ESPN recently did an article on the top 20 rooks.

Just want to know if/where Exum and Hood land and what was said about them.

Please only the info on our guys and not the whole article as that could cause us trouble.

11. Derrick Favors / Age: 23 / Jazz
Projected 3-year WARP: 16.8

Pelton: Improved floor spacing in Quin Snyder's offense has helped Favors set career highs in both usage (22.2 percent of the Jazz's possessions) and true shooting percentage (.593).

Thorpe: Favors has made a jump as a scorer, which moves him up on this list with another year to go. Right now he is a good defender and can be a good team's second-best scorer, with room to grow.

Elhassan: His progression has not happened as quickly as I anticipated, but he's still a high-level rebounder and shot-blocker who is making strides on the offensive end.

12. Gordon Hayward / Age: 24 / Jazz
Projected 3-year WARP: 17.3

Pelton: Hayward will be 25 in March, and similar players were about at their peak by that age. It's OK if Hayward continues performing like he has this season, as he ranks in the league's top 30 in both RPM and WARP.

Thorpe: He's enjoying a career year, as players entering their prime years should be. Can help an offense as both a scorer and passer while bringing great energy to the game, which is not a small thing.

Elhassan: Nice all-round talent who can dribble, pass and shoot, but I wonder whether Hayward can take the next step toward greatness. If he can't, the Jazz will need to add someone who can lead them there.

23. Dante Exum / Age: 19 / Jazz
Projected 3-year WARP: 1.5

Pelton: After a strong start, Exum has shot just 24.2 percent since Nov. 21, including 2-of-14 from 3-point range. SCHOENE includes Tony Parker among his comparables, but the closest match is Indiana Pacers wing C.J. Miles.

Thorpe: Maybe the best example of upside versus downside on this list, but his abilities as an athlete and passer suggest a big future. We don't know if he will be a great scorer, which would lower his ceiling significantly if he doesn't turn out to be. As a plus, he's young enough to be on this list for five more seasons.

Elhassan: Of all the players on the Jazz roster, Exum has the highest upside. He is in the first few steps of a thousand-mile journey of development, but as Antetokounmpo in Milwaukee showed last season, the light can turn on sooner than expected.

In case you didn't want to click through

The Thorpe story posted today? Dante is #11 and Hood is #15. Nothing is said about them, because only the top 10 get that treatment.

That is cool b_line but not ESPN's top 20 Rookies ladder. Jsut want to see where Hood and Exum land with all the injuries.

Hayward will be 25 in March, and similar players were about at their peak by that age.

25 seems young for hitting your peak in the NBA, especially when some of the greatest ever didn't enter the league until 20-21 years of age. I would think that peak is probably closer to 27-28.

Statistically speaking, the peak age is 25-26.

I think that is true for average players or players that overly rely on athleticism. Better players find ways to improve every year.

Marc Gasol is having a career year at 29 (going on 30 in January).

Korver had his best year last year at 32.

I think that is true for average players or players that overly rely on athleticism. Better players find ways to improve every year.

I think Hayward peaks at 26; at the very latest 27.

Interesting that you didn't write about Millsap.

#hater

Paul has been incredible this year in just about every subtle aspect of the game. He's gotten so good at playing off of others it's ridiculous.

Interesting that you didn't write about Millsap.

#hater

Paul has been incredible this year in just about every subtle aspect of the game. He's gotten so good at playing off of others it's ridiculous.

Well he said statistically speaking, I was just using 2 more extreme examples. Statistically speaking, Millsap is very similar to what he was last year.

Probably 26-29 is a good "rule of thumb" range, though obviously there will be exceptions. Guys like Stockton, Malone, Jordan, etc. had their best seasons in that range. Bird at 31, then a decline. What I think is safe to say is the physical toll really catches up to most players by their very early 30's. Korver has been a bench player most of his career. I think that has saved some wear and tear. He's also never been known as a physical player.

I think it's a major consideration as the Jazz look at FA's.