What's new

Anybody hear Peter Vecsey today on 1280 The Zone?

sahlensguy

He's no fan of Corbin that's for sure, and said he's #1 on his list of needed Jazz off-season moves. "Its like he never played in the league" was in reference to his rotations by the clock. "How about rotating players because of the game?". It was a pretty epic interview.

He's no fan of Corbin that's for sure, and said he's #1 on his list of needed Jazz off-season moves. "Its like he never played in the league" was in reference to his rotations by the clock. "How about rotating players because of the game?". It was a pretty epic interview.

Awesome.

I've come to terms with Corbin being here. Lets see if he can adjust, improve, etc.

It is true. Those that say he is getting better don't get it. He is not a player. How many coaches "get better". You get it or you don't and Corbin does not get it.

Corbin's got a long way to go, his rotations and play calling looked like a midget league's playbook by Popovich. I am sure Greg had the easiest coaching job in a playoff series in the mans lifetime. He flat out schooled Tyrone Corbin.

While some of Ty's moves were dumb (playing Bell over Burks, Howard over Carroll), I think people forget that Sloan for the most part had the same type of substitution pattern based on time instead of game situation. It was actually one of Sloan's biggest flaws. Sloan consistently got out coached by Popovich.

I think people forget that Sloan for the most part had the same type of substitution pattern based on time instead of game situation. It was actually one of Sloan's biggest flaws. Sloan consistently got out coached by Popovich.

....Sloan's coaching scheme was pathetically flawed. We saw that years ago when Stockton and Malone were winning despite those stupid substitution moves! Now, we have a Sloan clone in Corbin. I'm wondering out loud if the real moves and coaching schemes are coming from the front office or something! All the powers of reason, sight, sound, and "stevie wonder" instincts, indicate do it another way!

It is true. Those that say he is getting better don't get it. He is not a player. How many coaches "get better". You get it or you don't and Corbin does not get it.

Lenny Wilkins went 36-46 and 38-44 in his first two seasons, didn't make the playoffs until his 6th season.
Jerry Sloan went 30-52, 45-37, and 19-31 in his first 3 seasons and was fired in his third season.
Chuck Daly went 9-32 in his first season and was fired.
Gregg Popovich went17-47 in his first season.
Red Auerbach went 39-30 in his first season, and 10-17 in the playoffs in his first 6 seasons.

These are some of the best coaches that the game has ever seen. Coaches improve just like players improve.

Like Sloan, Corbin is too rigid on substitution patterns. And, like Sloan, Corbin doesn't seem to have a knack for situational coaching. That said, Sloan was a master at getting the heart and soul out of his players. He was a warrior and brought out the warrior in everybody. I haven't seen any of those qualities in Corbin.

It was pretty brutal to see him go up against Popovich who is an EVERYTHING COACH: situational, philosophical, motivational, and he even recruits players into the system he designed.

Corbin has a long way to go. And, it's stupid **** to say that a coach can't get better.

Can we stop comparing Corbin to one of the greatest coaches ever. It's not really fair. He did take a team that was supposed to finish last in the west to the playoffs. I think we need to get our heads out of the clouds and be a little more realistic and logical.

Can we stop comparing Corbin to one of the greatest coaches ever. It's not really fair. He did take a team that was supposed to finish last in the west to the playoffs. I think we need to get our heads out of the clouds and be a little more realistic and logical.

Yeah, we need to focus on why Devin Harris didn't play like John Stockton instead.

Yeah, we need to focus on why Devin Harris didn't play like John Stockton instead.

Why the **** is Al not the second coming of Malone? Why is Gordon not our Hornacek? Why is Raja our Bryon Russell? How come Kanter isn't akin to Eaton yet? What the ****?

Like Sloan, Corbin is too rigid on substitution patterns. And, like Sloan, Corbin doesn't seem to have a knack for situational coaching.
As I've pointed out ad nauseum, the idea that Sloan always returned to playing his starting lineup while completely ignoring the effectiveness of bench players is a myth - but this isn't about comparing Sloan to Corbin. It's about comparing Corbin to a competent basketball coach (which I believe he is, but his substitution pattern is both illogical and maddening).

As Peter Vescey (who I generally loathe) points out, it's the head coach's job to coach the game and make decisions based off the game. How many times in the regular season did we see Utah's bench (often behind Derrick Favors) get Utah back in a game, only to see Corbin return to his full starting lineup and flounder down the stretch. Coaches are paid to put their players in the best position to succeed. If Ty's going to be a complete robot, why even coach? Even the CPU of a video game can substitute his starters in for the 4th-qtr. If the only reason you're in the playoffs is because of a 2-week stretch in which Demarre Carroll is you starting SF, why change the lineup in favor of a 32-yr old SF who was out the previous 4 weeks due to knee surgery? All people want is for Ty to start making more decisions off how the game is playing out, not who he listed as starters on the gamecard.

As I've pointed out ad nauseum, the idea that Sloan always returned to playing his starting lineup while completely ignoring the effectiveness of bench players is a myth - but this isn't about comparing Sloan to Corbin. It's about comparing Corbin to a competent basketball coach (which I believe he is, but his substitution pattern is both illogical and maddening).

As Peter Vescey (who I generally loathe) points out, it's the head coach's job to coach the game and make decisions based off the game. How many times in the regular season did we see Utah's bench (often behind Derrick Favors) get Utah back in a game, only to see Corbin return to his full starting lineup and flounder down the stretch. Coaches are paid to put their players in the best position to succeed. If Ty's going to be a complete robot, why even coach? Even the CPU of a video game can substitute his starters in for the 4th-qtr. If the only reason you're in the playoffs is because of a 2-week stretch in which Demarre Carroll is you starting SF, why change the lineup in favor of a 32-yr old SF who was out the previous 4 weeks due to knee surgery? All people want is for Ty to start making more decisions off how the game is playing out, not who he listed as starters on the gamecard.

How many times were the Jazz up 5-8 pts, only to take Favors out for Jefferson with 5 mins left and see us lose by 5. Favors couldn't have played 5 more mins? Corbin was terrible this year.