What's new

Apparently algebra is racist...

There isn't a single mention of race in the page you linked.

There isn't a single mention of race in the page you linked.

I was sure this was a Dutch thread from the title. Anyway, dug a bit and here's the original from NPR. I didn't read much but it's hard to argue with this:

It is also the single most failed course in community colleges across the country. So if you're not a STEM major (science, technology, engineering, math), why even study algebra?...

Oakley is among a growing number of educators who view intermediate algebra as an obstacle to students obtaining their credentials — particularly in fields that require no higher level math skills.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/19/538092649/say-goodbye-to-x-y-should-community-colleges-abolish-algebra

Algebra is higher math?

Amazing. I personally wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't do junior high level math. But I guess the earning potential of recreational management majors is being affected by teaching math to non-physics PhD students, so we might as well just get rid of it!

Can't think of many jobs out there where you wouldn't be told at some point you have to do x amount of work by the end of the day.

Guess what? Figuring at the minimum speed/rate in which you have to work uses algebra.

Can't think of many jobs out there where you wouldn't be told at some point you have to do x amount of work by the end of the day.

Guess what? Figuring at the minimum speed/rate in which you have to work uses algebra.

Coming from a guy who has only a high school education I have used math in every job i have done. I sold metal roofing for 5 years and guess hoe we figured out the length of the sheets

Coming from a guy who has only a high school education I have used math in every job i have done. I sold metal roofing for 5 years and guess hoe we figured out the length of the sheets

Poetry? Each sheet was so many poems long?

People having to pass math is pretty stupid if they are going to school for something completely non related.

My old neighbor in college was an English major (now getting his masters) and failed Trig 3 times. Dude was really smart when it comes to everything but math.

Sent from my A0001 using JazzFanz mobile app

But getting rid of Algebra seems excessive. I never took college level algebra so idk what it even entails.

I just remember in public school we had Algebra then Algebra 2, which is pretty crucial basic knowledge, and then next one was stuff that probably isn't everyday relevant.

But getting rid of Algebra seems excessive. I never took college level algebra so idk what it even entails.

I just remember in public school we had Algebra then Algebra 2, which is pretty crucial basic knowledge, and then next one was stuff that probably isn't everyday relevant.

I had to take Algebra, Algebra 2, and Pre-Calculus in high school.

My college degree requires 3 credits in any math class barring you test into one and don't have to take any pre-requisites.

Algebra is higher math?

Amazing. I personally wouldn't hire an accountant who couldn't do junior high level math. But I guess the earning potential of recreational management majors is being affected by teaching math to non-physics PhD students, so we might as well just get rid of it!

Yeah, I wasn't being sincere. The whole concept of "why do I have to take this useless crap" got old early on in high school. The interviewer asks the obvious follow up later on:

Do you buy the argument that there are just some forms of reasoning — whether it's graphing functions or solving quadratic equations that involve a mental discipline — that may never be actually used literally on the job, but may improve the way young people think?

The most baffling part was that she wanted to replace algebra with statistics. While we're at it, why don't we manufacture all these impoverished children who can't do algebra into the newest fleet of actuaries? One of the best paying 4 year degrees out there.