What's new

Game Thread Apr 21, 2022 07:00PM MT: Jazz vs. Mavericks - Game 3

Added to Calendar: 04-21-22

The optimism for the series comes from the fact that we actually adjusted and it worked. Quin has 1 life left. He had better figure it out and it is staring us all in the face.

These aren't really outliers when they are left completely wide open.

See: The last 3 years of Jazz playoffs.
Kleber shot 35% on wide open 3s in the regular season, he is now shooting 69%. Brunson shot 42% on wide open 3s in regular season he is now shooting 71%. Bertans shot 24% in regular season on wide open 3s.... Our shot are the exact opposite of this. Bogey, Conley and Royce have all dropped to about 30% on lots of wide open shots in the playoffs.

I think its both. They are shooting way outside their ability. But they are also playing really hard and emotional and believe in themselves. Our team is overthinking everything and cant get out of their own heads. They get frustrated with every big shot from Dallas and from every foul they dont like. Our defense is not playing together and it is really hurting us. But we are also playing terrible and shooting terrible on offense. They dont have a shot blocker in the game we should be running layup drills and having wide open threes, but we are playing iso, missing wide open shots.

I am sick of our poor playoffs shooting. Not sure why no matter who is on this roster we suddenly forget how to shoot outside of Mitchell the last couple years, but not this year so far. Its time for us to get hot and get going. Our defense can play better but we can also play well enough on offense it wont matter. There is no reason a shoot out type game shouldn't be in our favor.

Kleber shot 35% on wide open 3s in the regular season, he is now shooting 69%. Brunson shot 42% on wide open 3s in regular season he is now shooting 71%. Bertans shot 24% in regular season on wide open 3s.... Our shot are the exact opposite of this. Bogey, Conley and Royce have all dropped to about 30% on lots of wide open shots in the playoffs.

I think its both. They are shooting way outside their ability.

I don't know. I think there's a difference between how you shoot on the occasional wide open shot in a game against a normal NBA defense vs how you shoot when the defense is just conceding endless amounts of completely wide open 3's.

This game show that Kidd do his home work in a much better way than Quinn. Dallas came with her plan and execute it well. We came with .......

I told you a Lucaless team wins a donovanless jazz team loses, or should I say even a healthy jazz team can't beat a wounded Mavs team. This is atrocious

I can't see how we get better 3pt shots unless Doncic plays. Why not go full penetration at times Mitchell, Clarkson, House, Pascal with Gobert playing the Capella role. Make all of them defend rather than hiding Brunson on ONeale. Attack the rim maybe get someone in foul trouble. We get one of their 5 man rotation in foul trouble then they will have a weakness.

Last edited:
- I don't think the Paschall lineup is sustainable. It was a good change up lineup. It confused Dallas for awhile and got us back in the game, but once it stopped generating offense it was the right move to get Gobert back in.
- The closing lineup generated open looks from 3. We didn't hit them. As a fan it feels like the other team always makes their open 3's and we always miss them. In this series it's kind of true.
- Royce not taking a FGA is not great. I only remember him passing up one shot though, so I'm not sure he can take all the blame when nobody was passing to him. Royce has shot well in the playoffs, including game 2, they need to find him and he needs to aggressively shoot when he gets the ball.
- We can play good defense for very small stretches. Then we have a miscommunication or give up a fast break, and then completely fall apart. No stamina.
- I won't cheer for us to lose, but getting this season over sooner than later would be very merciful.

I can't see how we get better 3pt shots unless Doncic plays. Why not go full penetration at times Mitchell, Clarkson, House, Pascal with Gobert playing the Capella role. Make all of them defend rather than hiding Brunson on ONeale. Attack the rim maybe get someone in foul trouble. We get one of their 5 man rotation in foul trouble then they will have a weakness.

I'm not sure I want to see more fouling, last night was hard to watch as is.

The league should take a look at the hit Royce put on Brunson. Royce should be fined for that. It was a cheap shot and it wasn’t an isolated incident. Play hard and gritty but not dirty.

Jazz shoot 56% and somehow managed to trail the whole game and lose.

Riveting.

Guys like Brunson, Brooks, Murray and Kleiza (bless his rested retired heart) always lick their chops playing against us.

My biggest problem with Conley is that we paid a steep price for a PG who's not even ranked top 15 in his position, meaning every game we play there's more than 50% chance he's out-matched. It was supposed to be Conley guarding Brunson but due to him being outmatched, we had to give Brunson the full Luka treatment by putting our two strongest perimeter defenders Royce/House on him. Then who's gonna guard Luka once he comes back? If we put House on Brunson and Royce on Luka, then Conley has to go.

Remember House was waived by the tanking Rockets then got dumped around after only getting a total of 3min worth of PT from Thibodeau. 3 MINUTES. Now all of sudden he's become the savior of our perimeter defense?

Like I said, the talent issue on this Jazz team is REAL. Our players simply aren't good enough to compete against other top level teams. And the 2019 trade which we spent a lot of assets and good players in exchange for mediocre PG had a lot to do with that.
True. We are the least athletic team in the playoffs by a long shot. The talent disparity is large. I think both Minny and NOP would beat us in a best of 7 now.

Rudy can switch. But he cant guard the paint as well. Coaches are going to have to switch things up, but that doesnt seem to happen. Wishful thinking for me is that the staff has adjustments and new looks but they dont want to use it against Dallas.
He’s normally done well on switches but has gotten cooked a few times this series in drives. It’s like the 12 or 13th biggest issue with our defense.

He’s normally done well on switches but has gotten cooked a few times this series in drives. It’s like the 12 or 13th biggest issue with our defense.
Outside of the system, I agree.

If we just played normal defense, his one on one abilities wouldn't be that big of an issue like you said.

But we are completely committed to this funnel defense that gives every 5 shooter lineup wide open looks.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app