What's new

Are we a shot blocking big man away from contention?

If it was just a shot blocking big man away, we would already be there with Fess. We need a big man who can play good smart positional D, and most importantly, grab tough rebounds (primarily against the Lakers). Is there anyone who can do that AND is available to bring to Utah? I sort of doubt it.

If it was just a shot blocking big man away, we would already be there with Fess. We need a big man who can play good smart positional D, and most importantly, grab tough rebounds (primarily against the Lakers). Is there anyone who can do that AND is available to bring to Utah? I sort of doubt it.

so negative....

It's possible that Jefferson can do some of that. Okur does OK against Bynum but not Gasol. A rotation of AJ, MO, and KF or Turiaf or somebody is about as a good a 5 rotation as Utah will have ever had.

And no, we wouldn't be already there with Fes, because he's only an OK shot blocker and doesn't contribute many points or even rebounds. He's just a big body that deters the paint--which was good enough to be part of a rotation that neutralized the Faker starting lineup but needs more experience before he can handle Gasol.

if it was just a shot blocking big man away, we would already be there with fess. We need a big man who can play good smart positional d, and most importantly, grab tough rebounds (primarily against the lakers). Is there anyone who can do that and is available to bring to utah? I sort of doubt it.

marc gasol

Fess is not that good at blocking shots yet in the NBA.

If Okur comes back even slower and suckier than before, then I'd say the Jazz still need the following pieces to be a contender:

a replacement center for Okur -capable of rebounding/defense/some offense - kind of like a Haywood or Kaman

a better starting SG than whoever is going to start at SG for the Jazz this year

a better backup PG

If the Jazz fix two of the above three they'll be closer to the Lakers,preferably the first two. If they fix all the three they can make the WCF the next 2 years or more. And with the Lakers declining hopefully with age, we might just catch up.

Financially, the Jazz have 28 freaking million/yr invested in a role player SF and a post- ACL already-slow center.
They need to fix that.

I'm just happy you signed back on to Jazzfanz! I was starting to wonder if I was going to be the only never give up attitude fan left when the season rolled around!

=] I've been back on here for a little bit now, just haven't been posting much. Extremely ecstatic with the moves being made, and hopeful for the upcoming season. How've you been? The Off-Season always sucks, although this time it's been fairly eventful.

Aldrich couldn't play in the summer league due to his contract not being signed yet due to the trade, but my sarcasm meter may be failing and you knew that already.