What's new

Game Thread Aug 01, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Added to Calendar: 08-01-20

Our perimeter defense is so porous that we need to give him a try. There’s absolutely zero upside to continuing on as we have been.
He seems to know how to rotate and has quick feet and recovers well. I wouldn't mind him replacing Mudiay in that 3 guard line-up.

Spyda has been disappointing so far but he needs the ball in his hands more. What Quin is doing with him right now makes no sense. I've always had Conleys back and still think he's a good to great player but Donovan needs the ball. This team is a first round exit and then it's time to revamp the roster. The good thing is, we have a solid foundation with Spyda, Ingles, Gobert, Bojan, hopefully JC and though I'm not as high on him as everyone else Royce is a solid all around player and has his role. Niang, Mudiay, TB, are gone I hope. Well I'd take Mudiay at a discount, theTB and Niang experiment should end.

Who knows though? Maybe this team rattles off a few straight but I think we all see that this team has some glaring weaknesses.

He seems to know how to rotate and has quick feet and recovers well. I wouldn't mind him replacing Mudiay in that 3 guard line-up.
It’s certainly alarming that Mudiay has been coming in at the first substitution. I think Mudiay has a place in the rotation on some nights, but he shouldn’t be a 7th man.

Free Oni

Jazz laid an egg. They looked slow and sluggish. Thunder might be a good team, but the Jazz should have been able to make a shot and get a rebound. They were completely outworked up and down the roster.

No surprise at all .
Jazz lack the amount of talent many other teams got. You need lots of hard work and chemistry to make it up for it, and chemistry does not appear to be there anymore. Roster's got about half dozen good guys that should be fighting hard for the last spot or 2 on most teams. Bogey out. Mike a shadow of his own self.
Does not look good. Suddenly I've realized that there have been very good times, but mostly it's been a hard team to watch for quite some time now.
Hope I'm just horrible at watching basketball.

No surprise at all .
Jazz lack the amount of talent many other teams got. You need lots of hard work and chemistry to make it up for it, and chemistry does not appear to be there anymore. Roster's got about half dozen good guys that should be fighting hard for the last spot or 2 on most teams. Bogey out. Mike a shadow of his own self.
Does not look good. Suddenly I've realized that there have been very good times, but mostly it's been a hard team to watch for quite some time now.
Hope I'm just horrible at watching basketball.

I think Conley has made it clear that there's no way he's missing the birth of his child and he's going to leave in the middle of the 2nd round. Jazz won't survive that even if they're playing well. They're thin already and Conley would probably miss 2 or 3 games against a team like the Lakers or Clippers. So the writing is on the wall.

It’s certainly alarming that Mudiay has been coming in at the first substitution. I think Mudiay has a place in the rotation on some nights, but he shouldn’t be a 7th man.

Free Oni

The way Mudiay played earlier in the season, it's a no brainer for me to play him when we have not Clarkson or Conley. But when It comes to be third guard on a lineup, like if he were to play as SF, he's simply hasn't enough shooting and velocity, posibly even lenght for that. It's just almost as if trying to make him look bad, and the rest of the team too.

Play Oni, play Brantley, even experiment Morgan at the 4 - tho i prefer try a switch everything bench defense that has an actual nba body boxing out the other team big when our center switchs out, not Niang, and i don't expect Bradley to be as successful switching out - but just stop believing that Mudiay as a SF and Niang as any position has a chance to work at this level, it just won't.

Jazz laid an egg. They looked slow and sluggish. Thunder might be a good team, but the Jazz should have been able to make a shot and get a rebound. They were completely outworked up and down the roster.
It’s happened too much. And now we get to play the Lakers to get the frustration really boiling.

The guys at the end of the bench must be absolutely awful in practice. Our regular guys had sand kicked in their face.

Without Boj, we are basically a lower tier playoff team in the west.

Our bench is just awful. We tried a reset this year and it don’t work out and these guys aren’t much better.

We are going nowhere without bojan

We weren't going anywhere with him. The peak of being a 1st round / fringe 2nd round playoff team never changed.

The reality is that outside of Gobert and Mitchell, the Jazz lack height and athleticism. Management swung and missed on the Conley deal. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have moved Donovan to the 1 and trade for / sign tall, athletic wings at the 2/3. Instead, we're rolling with 3 people < 6'4, a 32 yr old Ingles, and Gobert. Our defense blows. I can't imagine how horrid it'd look if Rudy weren't playing.

Without Boj, we are basically a lower tier playoff team in the west.

Our bench is just awful. We tried a reset this year and it don’t work out and these guys aren’t much better.

Jazz were trying to consolidate talent, which means you have more high-level guys and also less depth. Without Bogey, we now have no depth, and Conley has been only so-so.