What's new

Game Thread Aug 01, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Added to Calendar: 08-01-20

We weren't going anywhere with him. The peak of being a 1st round / fringe 2nd round playoff team never changed.

The reality is that outside of Gobert and Mitchell, the Jazz lack height and athleticism. Management swung and missed on the Conley deal. Hindsight is 20/20 but they should have moved Donovan to the 1 and trade for / sign tall, athletic wings at the 2/3. Instead, we're rolling with 3 people < 6'4, a 32 yr old Ingles, and Gobert. Our defense blows. I can't imagine how horrid it'd look if Rudy weren't playing.

I have no problem giving up Jae Crowder, Grayson Allen and a late 1st. I can see why they moved on from Favors, who isn't a good PF in this league and who gets paid too much to be a backup C. I can see why the Jazz thought that Conley was the best player who was attainable for them. However, they also whiffed when they signed Ed Davis and Jeff Green. That's a large part of the reason there's a hole in our lineup. If the Jazz signed a productive player with that ~$6.5MM, it would be making a difference.

Last edited:
I felt like we swung for the fences more this offseason than any other I can remember, signed better free agents, pushed chips in on the trade market. I liked all of the deals and they have amounted to a crap sandwich. Effort also seemed lacking until late in the game. I don't have any answers to be honest. Thunder just smothered us.

What the ****? Burks plays for the 76ers now? I had no idea.
Today he was 3-4 from the field and 3-3 from three point land. (Game is ongoing)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

So how did, just turned 20 years old, Darius Bazely grab as many rebounds as any jazzman??? Didnt see the game but that really stands out in the boxscore.

It's one frickin game - we couldn't throw a rock in the ocean for crap's sake. OKC has our number pure and simple. We played em better before they got Chris Paul (1st round win two years ago), we could count on Westbrook to make stupid mistakes. Confidence is a funny thing - they own us now. Just like the Raptors and the Lakers - swept them something like ten straight. With LA's star studded roster this season you'd think the Lakers would dominate, but nope, another sweep for the Raptors.

Snyder's an insensitive prick. It was a rout, everybody played for OKC. Everybody played for Utah EXCEPT journeyman Ed Davis AND we got killed on the boards. With the Jeff Green, Joe Johnson, Rodney Hood, & Thabo Sefolosha fiascos, I'm beginning to see why: a) ex-players get so up for us, and b) we have so much trouble signing guys particularly for playoff runs. I mean even Brooklyn was able to sign Tyler Johnson, Michael Beasley and Jamal Crawford (could've used Beasley or Crawford) and we're certainly a better team than they are.

The reaction, people were really slandering Don on twitter tonight. Lots of “he can’t be the best player on a title team” takes. Not saying this guy is right but I don’t like some of the tidbits I keep seeing

"The Jazz have 30 empty minutes from players replacing Bojan." That quote is from company men Boone and Locke. Quin needs to earn his pay and get some production from someone.
Empty is the super nice way of putting it... it implies you got an empty container... but how much harm can an empty container do? It isn’t the worst thing.

No- what we got was a container filled with flaming hot diarrhea... the type you have where you know this is likely just round one of a twelve round fight.

Not sure we get to a point where Quin tries something different though. He couldn’t even throw Brantley out there in garbage time.