What's new

Game Thread Aug 01, 2020: Utah Jazz vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Added to Calendar: 08-01-20

The reaction, people were really slandering Don on twitter tonight. Lots of “he can’t be the best player on a title team” takes. Not saying this guy is right but I don’t like some of the tidbits I keep seeing

Probably has something to do with his little bullet proof vest antics as well. Though he did suck *** tonight.

The Jazz got outrebounded across the board today. The funny thing is that their guys like Diallo, Dort and Bazley hit 3s, while our guys couldn't buy one.
Gallo banked one I’m in the first and I kinda knew it wasn’t happening for us then.

Empty is the super nice way of putting it... it implies you got an empty container... but how much harm can an empty container do? It isn’t the worst thing.

No- what we got was a container filled with flaming hot diarrhea... the type you have where you know this is likely just round one of a twelve round fight.

Not sure we get to a point where Quin tries something different though. He couldn’t even throw Brantley out there in garbage time.
Are you sure he suited up? He's not listed on the Box Score on NBA.com.

We are shooting terrible the first couple games. But I think we will correct that. It seems to me the whole league is shooting poorly to start.

Well, that didn't turn out well. Everyone was flat from the tip. I know that they have already clinched a playoff spot and there is no home-court advantage. However, they are missing out on opportunity to move up to a higher seed. Hopefully, they don't face the Rockets in the 1st round again.

The reaction, people were really slandering Don on twitter tonight. Lots of “he can’t be the best player on a title team” takes. Not saying this guy is right but I don’t like some of the tidbits I keep seeing

This is dumb. There are no signs he is leaving as of right now.

If anybody is to blame for Mitchell taking a step back (which I truly don't think is the case for this season but many do), it's got to be the front office.

Mitchell was flourishing with the ball in his hands while we go and get ball dominant Conley and Clarkson. Rubio looked to facilitate more than shoot. And he played good defense. We have more talent now, but we also have worse fits.

I like the idea of Mitchell with 6th man Clarkson. But all 3 or even 2 on the court most of the time? It doesn't work. It won't. The Conley trade was one of the worst trades in our history. We have to clean that up before losing the most promising young player in our history.

Sent from my VS995 using JazzFanz mobile app

If anybody is to blame for Mitchell taking a step back (which I truly don't think is the case for this season but many do), it's got to be the front office.

Mitchell was flourishing with the ball in his hands while we go and get ball dominant Conley and Clarkson. Rubio looked to facilitate more than shoot. And he played good defense. We have more talent now, but we also have worse fits.

I like the idea of Mitchell with 6th man Clarkson. But all 3 or even 2 on the court most of the time? It doesn't work. It won't. The Conley trade was one of the worst trades in our history. We have to clean that up before losing the most promising young player in our history.

That would be Rudy Gobert IMO

Well, that didn't turn out well. Everyone was flat from the tip. I know that they have already clinched a playoff spot and there is no home-court advantage. However, they are missing out on opportunity to move up to a higher seed. Hopefully, they don't face the Rockets in the 1st round again.

I am starting to think that for our offense Houston could be maybe slightly easier to play against than OKC. Thunder play great D on perimeter, they take away 3 pointers which is our big weapon, plus they have Steve Adams. Maybe we would be able to figure out how to score against Rockets as they don't have Capella anymore. I mean this is just analyzing that one aspect, I know we have little chance to past first round against anybody anyway.

Snyder's an insensitive prick. It was a rout, everybody played for OKC. Everybody played for Utah EXCEPT journeyman Ed Davis AND we got killed on the boards. With the Jeff Green, Joe Johnson, Rodney Hood, & Thabo Sefolosha fiascos, I'm beginning to see why: a) ex-players get so up for us, and b) we have so much trouble signing guys particularly for playoff runs. I mean even Brooklyn was able to sign Tyler Johnson, Michael Beasley and Jamal Crawford (could've used Beasley or Crawford) and we're certainly a better team than they are.
Brantley also didn't play

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

You're comparing a player who can't create his own shot to one of the best scorers of all time. Of all active players only KD and Lebron got to 5000 points faster. DM45 is also more emotionally mature. I love Rudy but y'all are crazy

As a rookie, Donovan stepped up to replace an All Star and became the first rookie since Wilt to lead his team to a playoff series win. Rudy barely got off the bench (only played in 45 games and averaged less than 10 mpg).

As a sophomore, Donovan was the primary offensive player on a team that competed for home court in the stacked western conference. Rudy didn't even start half of our games (37).

As a third year player, Donovan is an All Star scoring 24+ ppg and the team is currently one of the top teams in the league. Rudy became a starter.

Even if you compare Donovan to Karl and John, Donovan is arguably the best young player we have ever had. People take his contributions for granted.

You're comparing a player who can't create his own shot to one of the best scorers of all time. Of all active players only KD and Lebron got to 5000 points faster. DM45 is also more emotionally mature. I love Rudy but y'all are crazy
How tall is he again? What was his % in relation to LBJ & KD? How many MVPs or DPOY’s does he have? Now Rudy on the other hand......

Last edited:
Obviously a lot of more important things have happened since last offseason. But it’s easy to forget the hype around the team. That stretch in December was really the only fun time of the season. This really never worked. Bogey is a fine player and would have helped in a game like last night. But this team had issues all season and he had his part in that as well.

I’ll be excited again next time we win. But I think we know what this is. And not to be a downer but I think Jazz management overplayed here and I don’t know where the team goes next.

Memphis got Brandon Clarke using our pick. Ja and JJJ are also special. Memphis is like the 8th best team we have to worry about.

I don’t have to name all the great young talent and emerging teams in the West. You saw how many players the Thunder had last night, their draft assets are even better.

I love Mitchell. And believe he can still take a leap or even two. He hasn’t reached his peak yet. And he absolutely has some ‘it’ factor. Maybe he’ll get much better, or just somewhat better. He does have some unfortunate physical disadvantages. But it’s shocking how many great young players have come into the league just since Mitchell’s rookie year. It is ****ing tough in this league. And it is harder than ever to compete, especially for a team like the Jazz.

I really don’t see how the 5 year timeline is very promising for the Jazz even though the most exciting player is still so young. Rudy would have to take a huge salary decrease, Mitchell would have to get quite a bit better, and we would have to hit on some key signings or players. For me to have a hope that any iteration of the current roster can truly compete with the best teams in a 7 game series.

Jazz will always do some kind of moves to stay competitive and keep us cheering. But it does suck that we’re three years into the Mitchell Rudy years And the window already feels closed.

Just venting.

There are games that feel like the team has bottomed out. Jazz v Warriors at the end of the Sloan era where we lost big in a playoff implications game to an eliminated team that suited 7 players comes to mind.

Hawks v jazz last year where we turned it around and became a force.

Jazz v OKC yesterday...

When we play so uninspired there are often locker room issues abide or we rebound big by bonding together.

Next game will be a big tell for the future of the Gobert /Mitchell / Conley trio. My gut says one of the 3 if not 2 of the three won't be here next season.

I don’t agree with that guy at all btw. As for Clarkson, he was great when we had Bogey, he was in the right role. I don’t like some of what he’s been doing right now. He’s had more shots than Donovan the past 2 games, there should be few to no games Clarkson has more shots than Don. Not having Bogey just sucks. Also guys gotta quit throwing passes at Rudy’s feet. With no Bogey you have to find ways to get him more than 6 shots in a game.

Some really great posts in here. I think most of us appreciated the swing for the fences approach the team took this offseason. thats not the norm for the jazz.
It didn't work, and now we have to figure out what the next step is.

Donovan needs the ball in his hands more. We need to get more athletic, and taller. We still need more shooters.
I want to see Brantley and Tucker in this current rosters rotation to see what that does. Brantley could develop into a good 3 point shooter as he
showed his range in the G league. Plus he brings more power and athleticism. Tucker is an interesting fit too, plus both guys can go up and grab a big rebound when needed.

Brandley and Niang are fine end of the bench emergency bench warmers. They are not, repeated not, 2nd unit championship pieces.

The more we roll with them the worse off we'll be.